Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81582 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
Also hats are a quick project. I knit scarves for my first projects, but it is also really easy to abandon them because they go on foreeeever.

With knitting too tight or too loose, sometimes it is just the muscle memory you will learn. A cast-on row is typically tight though until you learn how to cast on looser. (In my experience.)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »
At the beginning, some people knit too very tight. Knitting with a regular tension may require a bit of exercise. Moreover, the first and last rows are particular, mine are always a bit more tight than all the others before fixing. Does all the next row got looser ?
Just the second. It is staying at the same tension now. I'm gonna take a picture once I either run out of yarn or my scarf gets to a good length.

Also hats are a quick project. I knit scarves for my first projects, but it is also really easy to abandon them because they go on foreeeever.

With knitting too tight or too loose, sometimes it is just the muscle memory you will learn. A cast-on row is typically tight though until you learn how to cast on looser. (In my experience.)
Sounds like crotcheting a blanket. I have been working on and off on a blanket for a few years, but my stitches are tiny and my hook is only a C size. So fairly teeny.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »
I knit scarves for my first projects, but it is also really easy to abandon them because they go on foreeeever.
That is painfully true--I can crochet a scarf in 2 hours to 2 days, depending on the size and pattern, but I have never finished any scarves I have started knitting (and thus have yet to learn how to bind off).
Sounds like crotcheting a blanket. I have been working on and off on a blanket for a few years, but my stitches are tiny and my hook is only a C size. So fairly teeny.
You are crocheting a blanket with a C hook?!
That must require a lot of insanity and strong spectacles dedication and patience.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
You are crocheting a blanket with a C hook?!
That must require a lot of insanity and strong spectacles dedication and patience.

Yep, it's the largest hook I currently own, and yes it's a bit of a challenge. And to top it off I'm only using double back stitches. Never learned anything fancy.

Edit_ I apparently at some point got a g hook, which is now in use with the blanket. . . but I did do a lot of what I have done with a c hook.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:02:51 AM by DancingRanger »

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2015, 12:49:58 AM »
That is painfully true--I can crochet a scarf in 2 hours to 2 days, depending on the size and pattern, but I have never finished any scarves I have started knitting (and thus have yet to learn how to bind off).

I'm glad to know that that isn't just my problem - I crocheted five feet of a scarf on a circle loom back in... January?... and it's still sitting on the loom waiting to be bound off. (But of course this also has to do with it being the first thing I've knit ever and I don't want to mess it up :P )

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2015, 03:35:41 AM »
My first real (read: finished and usable) knitting project was the Doctor Who scarf. Four metres long, but garter stitch all the way, so it was easy to do and a very very good practice piece for getting even tension. That said, I propably only managed to finish it because I was hospitalised with pneumonia some time after starting it and was too tired and unfocused to even read books. Knitting was suitably mindless and all I had to keep track of was when to change to the next colour.

I then dared to try my hand at a knitted and felted hat (very quick and great result), thick woolen socks, then thinner socks, mittens, and now I've actually made a couple of simple shawls and and a short summer bolero top. The key for me was to choose projects that were small enough that I would manage to finish them before I grew frustrated and bored, and then I'd feel pleased and happy about finishing them, and quickly want to start on something new. If the project is too big or too difficult, I might abandon it halfway, and then just feel bad and guilty about it. It's a matter of knowing yourself and what your own pitfalls tend to be, and avoid them. :) I've gradually worked my way up from there.

As for socks, they can be pretty monotonous to knit (especially knee-highs), but using variegated yarn helps a lot. Also lace patterns, which aren't nearly as hard to do as you might think, are usually pretty quick, and look great (if you're into that sort of thing, or know someone who is).
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2015, 05:25:33 AM »
Just the second. It is staying at the same tension now. I'm gonna take a picture once I either run out of yarn or my scarf gets to a good length.

So I suppose it will be alright for the tension :)

I never try to crochet yet and because I feel comfortable with two needles I'm still wondering how it's possible to do something with "only one hook" ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:56 AM »
I never try to crochet yet and because I feel comfortable with two needles I'm still wondering how it's possible to do something with "only one hook" ^^
I feel the same way about knitting--what am I supposed to do with this extra needle? :)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2015, 06:31:19 AM »
I feel the same way about knitting--what am I supposed to do with this extra needle? :)

Just one? :D With knitting you can have nearly infinite needles! *random memories of childhood where little Laufey would try on a half-finished mitten and imagine the four needles sticking out were actually spikes growing out of the arm bones* *on a hindsight it may not be surprising I became obsessed with SSSS an SSSS fan* *I mean knitting AND monsters, doesn't get much better than that*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:22 AM »
Just one? :D With knitting you can have nearly infinite needles! *random memories of childhood where little Laufey would try on a half-finished mitten and imagine the four needles sticking out were actually spikes growing out of the arm bones* *on a hindsight it may not be surprising I became obsessed with SSSS an SSSS fan* *I mean knitting AND monsters, doesn't get much better than that*
So many needles! No wonder I haven't gotten the hang of it yet!

Mélusine

« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2015, 07:05:16 AM »
*random memories of childhood where little Laufey would try on a half-finished mitten and imagine the four needles sticking out were actually spikes growing out of the arm bones*
*Look at her needles, suspicious*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
Knitting with four needles was a frightening thought at first for me, too. But now I have finished four cuffs (two arm/hand ones, two for the legs) and I'm starting to feel somewhat confident with them.
Now I'm looking for a possible next project... how hard is it to knit a pattern with different colours?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
Knitting with four needles was a frightening thought at first for me, too. But now I have finished four cuffs (two arm/hand ones, two for the legs) and I'm starting to feel somewhat confident with them.
Now I'm looking for a possible next project... how hard is it to knit a pattern with different colours?

If you want to do a stranded knitting,  like my mittens,  the only hard part is the tension.  I do it by holding one yarn English style and the other continental. There are other ways to do it though.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
So I suppose it will be alright for the tension :)

Aw, it's easy! Okay some of the really cool stitches get really complex. It's a little harder keeping the right tension, and really easy to lose a stitch at the end of a row. But as long as you pay a bit of attention it'll be fine.

Okay I feel like I'm cheating a bit here. I have a pair of needles that are connected each other by a clear fishing line thing. The needles them selves are only a little longer than my closed hand. I tried the set I bought but I couldn't do it.

Mélusine

« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Aw, it's easy! Okay some of the really cool stitches get really complex. It's a little harder keeping the right tension, and really easy to lose a stitch at the end of a row. But as long as you pay a bit of attention it'll be fine.

Okay I feel like I'm cheating a bit here. I have a pair of needles that are connected each other by a clear fishing line thing. The needles them selves are only a little longer than my closed hand. I tried the set I bought but I couldn't do it.
I suppose I'll try to crochet one day.

I have the same kind of needles. At the first time, it's very disturbing but sooooooo comfortable when you're knitting something big !