Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81584 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
Sunflower: Thank you! I do knit fast-ish but I'm also using thick yarn and thick knitting needles which makes the work even faster. Besides I've been locked indoors for a few days because you can't go out in a winter hurricane and I've had little else to do... and the chapter break made me almost lose my sanity...

In Icelandic they're all just called "peysa". Icelandic sweater is the best existing English term I know, but I like Braidy-cloak a lot. :D Depending on his real name we can call it [insert Braidy's real Icelandic name in genitive]peysa, until then it's... uuuh... Braidypeysa?  ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »

Woop! It's done! A really fun project although in the final stages it became a bit of an effort to hold up all that weight on two knitting needles, and I'm still questioning my colour combination choices a little (on a hindsight it might have been better to use gray instead of white, not sure since the dreamland colours are all bathed in blue light)... patterns and instructions on how to knit one of these will follow soon-ish once I get it all written down. :)

Btw does anyone know what symbol is on those white, round decorative plates going around his shoulders? An ouroboros? Another stylized cat like the cleanser symbol?

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »

Woop! It's done! A really fun project although in the final stages it became a bit of an effort to hold up all that weight on two knitting needles, and I'm still questioning my colour combination choices a little (on a hindsight it might have been better to use gray instead of white, not sure since the dreamland colours are all bathed in blue light)... patterns and instructions on how to knit one of these will follow soon-ish once I get it all written down. :)

Btw does anyone know what symbol is on those white, round decorative plates going around his shoulders? An ouroboros? Another stylized cat like the cleanser symbol?

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! This looks beautiful! Will you have a photo of it on so we can see how it drapes?

I don't know exactly what is on the plates. It looks very vague at this point. :/
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »

Oh wow! That is amazing and perfect and wonderful and awesome and I want it and... and... I need to learn how to knit ASAP... Or maybe I could convince someone to knit it for me...
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
We have only that page and page 272 to tell, and they're equally fuzzy about that subject, I'm afraid ... It'ld take a (real or honorary) Icelander recognizing the symbol as an existing, non-year-90 one, I'm afraid.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
Ok, managed to take a few photos of the sweater as it looks worn. I'm still considering crocheting around the hem...

Sorry about the awkward pose. I took the photos with a selftimer and I was turning too soon. :D I didn't get a good one of the front, alas, and I still have to figure out just how the fastening in the front is supposed to work.

Also now I'm thinking I could have made it even wider for even more folds, because Braidy's cloak-thing really looks full at the back. Hmmm... I could maybe knit extra side pieces and just add them on the side seams... or maybe I'll just start by making the set of clothes that goes under the cloak and see how that affects the look. This project may eventually turn into a cosplay.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
Ok, managed to take a few photos of the sweater as it looks worn. I'm still considering crocheting around the hem...

Sorry about the awkward pose. I took the photos with a selftimer and I was turning too soon. :D I didn't get a good one of the front, alas, and I still have to figure out just how the fastening in the front is supposed to work.

Also now I'm thinking I could have made it even wider for even more folds, because Braidy's cloak-thing really looks full at the back. Hmmm... I could maybe knit extra side pieces and just add them on the side seams... or maybe I'll just start by making the set of clothes that goes under the cloak and see how that affects the look. This project may eventually turn into a cosplay.
Oh my gosh you're done ALREADY?! O_______O it looks amazing.... like.... WOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Seriously, I would pay you money if you made me one too!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
Oh my gosh you're done ALREADY?! O_______O it looks amazing.... like.... WOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Seriously, I would pay you money if you made me one too!
I would, too.
*goes to count money to see if she has enough for what she estimates the cost would be*
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2015, 02:39:33 PM »

AAAAAHHH

*flails*

*runs out of words to properly describe amazement/ awe/ enthusiasm*

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2015, 08:02:58 PM »

Even more gorgeous when worn!! I do wonder how it will stretch with the additional weight though. How does the Lopi feel to wear?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Sorry about the awkward pose. I took the photos with a self-timer and I was turning too soon.

Wow!  That is just amazing.  I actually like the pose of you turning, because it really sets the folds of the "Braidy-peysa" or "circle-peysa" in motion.  It drapes so beautifully! 

I'm trying to remember where the hem of Braidy's sweater-cloak fell on him -- knees, or further?  On you, I could almost see another inch or two, to give it an even more dramatic swing.  But would that extra weight stretch it too far? 

Seriously, there would be a huge market for beautiful, flowing garments like that (even beyond the SSSS fandom!).  I can't imagine hand-knitting them could ever break even, since it's so labor-intensive.  But maybe hand-looming or something?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2015, 03:39:32 AM »
Thank you all for the nice comments! :)

I do wonder how it will stretch with the additional weight though. How does the Lopi feel to wear?

No doubt it will stretch some in the backside even though it's already been blocked, the current weight alone will probably do it so adding more would likely make the stretching worse. The front isn't under quite the same stress so hopefully it won't stretch too much out of shape - or at the very least retain the shape we see on Braidy himself. Lopi is quite soft (at least in this thickness), felts quickly as you work on it and makes for an almost wind- and waterproof knit, by which I mean that it will eventually soak through but that takes more than an hour in the rain. It's not too scratchy either unlike Léttlopi and Einband, thinner yarns by the same maker.

I'm trying to remember where the hem of Braidy's sweater-cloak fell on him -- knees, or further?  On you, I could almost see another inch or two, to give it an even more dramatic swing.  But would that extra weight stretch it too far? 

Seriously, there would be a huge market for beautiful, flowing garments like that (even beyond the SSSS fandom!).  I can't imagine hand-knitting them could ever break even, since it's so labor-intensive.  But maybe hand-looming or something?

I estimated it falling somewhere about his knees in the back though the front looked shorter. There's a chance this one will stretch a bit longer just by using it, or it might not, wool will always do as it pleases. :D I'll make a note in the instructions on how I figured out the length for mine so it'll be easy to variate.

Hand-looming might actually take longer than knitting, especially if you want to keep the pattern. Easiest and fastest way of creating the Braidy-cloak for cosplay purposes would probably be by printing out suitable fabric at Spoonflower and sewing it instead. That said the Icelandic Handknitting Association people knit like machines so there's always a chance of finding a really quick knitter if a long, flowy sweater of any kind is needed. :) A small warning though: shipping anything from Iceland, especially this heavy, is going to cost an arm and a leg... :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:49:18 AM by Laufey »

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »
I see they also offer: "Dagrenning - a light cardigan". I know this totally unrelated to SSSS, but still :D

Great work on the Braidy-cloak!  :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »
That is absolutely amazing. I have yet to embark on a project of this size... shawls are the biggest things I've done so far, and not very lightweight ones either. I'll probably try the capelet worn by the crew on Túnfiskurinn at some point.

As for the round discs, you can see them all over his clothes, even on his boots. My spontaneous guess is that they are silver, stamped or engraved with shamanic or religious designs. Maybe coins, or adornment made to look like coins?
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »
Oof, I finally managed to write everything down. You can find the pattern here. :)

That is absolutely amazing. I have yet to embark on a project of this size... shawls are the biggest things I've done so far, and not very lightweight ones either. I'll probably try the capelet worn by the crew on Túnfiskurinn at some point.

As for the round discs, you can see them all over his clothes, even on his boots. My spontaneous guess is that they are silver, stamped or engraved with shamanic or religious designs. Maybe coins, or adornment made to look like coins?

Thank you!  :) Oh man those capelets would look awesome! I hope you'll share photos of your projects if you start on one!

I'm leaning towards something like that, yes. There's some kind of a coiled shape which might be some sort of an Ouroboros - Braidy being Icelandic it makes me think it could be Miðgarðsormurinn. I'm not entirely sure of this but the Norwegian generals seemed to have similar round badges on their cloaks.

(When I grow up I want to be captain Ása. I've already made a good start by an obsessive knitting hobby and things done in the past that would make me easily blackmailable...)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:18:56 PM by Laufey »