Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81053 times)

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 02:15:16 AM »
Would it be okay with you if I took these patterns and tried to alter them somewhat for my tablet weaving? I can't guarantee anything would actually come of it because <insert dramatic music> I don't actually know what I'm doing with tablet weaving yet and am nowhere near far enough along that actually making my own patterns is a good idea, but my eventual goal is to get to that point and I like your patterns.

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
Would it be okay with you if I took these patterns and tried to alter them somewhat for my tablet weaving? I can't guarantee anything would actually come of it because <insert dramatic music> I don't actually know what I'm doing with tablet weaving yet and am nowhere near far enough along that actually making my own patterns is a good idea, but my eventual goal is to get to that point and I like your patterns.

Sure! Go ahead! Let me know how they work out because I haven't test knit them yet. I'm trying to get them into a mitten pattern and working on the rest of the details for it at the moment.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put these, and "yarncrafters" seemed close enough to "needlecrafts" for me, so...

I made some SSSS badges. Behold my sort of uneven stitching.

They're embroidered cloth circles blanket-stitched to felt backings, plus sewed-on safety pins to actually make them...pins. The patterns I just traced off of the respective images (the star is everywhere, though the "Newcomers start here" one is a handy, ready-made stitching chart, and here's the cleanser cat). Cleanser cat turned out a bit squished, though. :/

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put these, and "yarncrafters" seemed close enough to "needlecrafts" for me, so...

They're embroidered cloth circles blanket-stitched to felt backings, plus sewed-on safety pins to actually make them...pins. The patterns I just traced off of the respective images (the star is everywhere, though the "Newcomers start here" one is a handy, ready-made stitching chart, and here's the cleanser cat). Cleanser cat turned out a bit squished, though. :/

Nice!! I really like those!
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »

I love them! I've been wanting to make felt pins, but I haven't since I have no idea how to.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 12:55:15 AM »

They're embroidered cloth circles blanket-stitched to felt backings, plus sewed-on safety pins to actually make them...pins.

Those badges are incredible.  They're probably too labor-intensive for you to go into business selling them on Etsy.  But if I had spending money at the moment, I'd certainly buy one.  (I can *sort of* sew, but I bet it wouldn't look as good if I tried to make one myself.  Even the stitches fastening the safety pins to the back are so neat and regular!)

Come to think of it, would you share the instructions with us at some point?  I might actually try this someday.  But I'm not sure if I should put the cloth in an embroidery frame first, make the design, then cut it out and blanket-stitch it to the felt...?  Cut out the circle first, pin it to a work surface, and then stitch the design before adding the felt backing...?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:58:32 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
Close enough for me too. :)

The pins are lovely. If you have time to explain, we'd love to learn more about your process for making them.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 03:23:48 AM »

These are really beautifully done, great work! I'd love to hear a bit about the process of making them too if you don't mind sharing. :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
Sure! Go ahead! Let me know how they work out because I haven't test knit them yet. I'm trying to get them into a mitten pattern and working on the rest of the details for it at the moment.
Yay! Thanks!  :D

Wow! Those are super neat. Wait, what's that over there?!
-points in a random direction-
-snatches pins-
-runs off cackling-

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 06:45:28 PM »
Aw, thanks everyone. :)

My process was, roughly:
1) Trace circles onto paper, and then trace the emblems into the circles (I just jacked up the brightness of my computer and used it as a lightbox.)
2) Then trace patterns onto cloth from the paper guides. (I used a pencil, which is probably not the best.)
3) Cloth into hoop, embroider, etc.
4) Cut cloth out, and cut felt circles out (using the glue bottle I traced before for size)
5) Sew pins on.
6) Blanket stitch. Ta-da!

Etsy or Wild Olive have some nice tutorials for felt pins that explain things more clearly than I probably did, if you want. I'd also recommend Wild Olive's Embroidery Basics if you'd like to learn embroidery.

The SSSS logo is satin stitches, following the direction of the "Newcomers start here" star with some cross-stitches for the x's. The cat I outlined in back stitch, then filled in with more satin stitches. The centers of the flames are french knots, and the back/ tail of the cat is chain stitches.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:49:00 PM by mithrysc »

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »
I finished this coaster a couple of weeks ago but didn't take a picture right away. It's kind of a fancier version of the hannunvaakuna motif I posted earlier.

This is the diagram for the color changes.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
Auleliel: Looks good and I love the pattern! You have an enviably good hand for crocheting, my works are always horribly uneven or just plain too tight. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
Auleliel: Looks good and I love the pattern! You have an enviably good hand for crocheting, my works are always horribly uneven or just plain too tight. :D

Thanks!

A little secret: The coaster in that picture was incredibly uneven, but I made it look good for the picture by blocking it. :)

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
Blocking solves many a lumpy piece of knitting/crocheting. :D

Looks great!

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »
So, my loom for tablet weaving was supposed to come on Thursday but it hasn't (boo!) and today I finally lost control of my patience and once again attempted to make an improvised loom. This time I went for making a backstrap loom for tablet weaving, as inspired by this woman, who certainly has a better setup than I do, hehe. ^_^ Nevertheless, I was determined, so I made one, and managed my first attempt at tablet weaving, which I am quite pleased with even though it looks nothing like it is supposed to (I kept making fairly serious mistakes).  :D Here is a picture of both my home made, improvised loom and my not at all like it's supposed to look strap:

http://tinypic.com/r/2e58ghi/8
http://tinypic.com/r/15i2qef/8

My beginner band is really short because my backstrap loom resulted in me being bent over a bunch, which my back didn't like, and I had to stop fairly quickly.

So, I'm on my way to making more than just giant mounts of knotted yarn, which is exciting! Now, if my real loom will just get here so I can weave without making my back sore . . .

If my real loom doesn't get here tomorrow, I'll try finding a better posture to sit in so I can make a longer piece of strap, hopefully with fewer mistakes.  8)