Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 80674 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
:3 I thought about adapting it to hats. It would be appropriate.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laowai

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:34:18 AM »
how did you learn how to knit? Were taught personally? Is it possible for me to teach myself? What's the basic jumping off point? How do I even tell the difference between different types of yarn/string? How does that one little pattern get turned into an entire sweater?

I am such a noob  :-[ :'(

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »
how did you learn how to knit? Were taught personally? Is it possible for me to teach myself? What's the basic jumping off point? How do I even tell the difference between different types of yarn/string? How does that one little pattern get turned into an entire sweater?

* Knitting isn't hard.  I'm not well-coordinated, and I learned.
* I was taught by an elderly babysitter when I was about 13.
* Teach yourself?  Maybe -- there seem to be a lot of online instructional videos.  I'm not great at visualizing, though, so I needed at least a little in-person instruction.  You also have to practice.
* How to tell the difference between various types of yarn/string:  Wander into a yarn store and fondle all the pretty, pretty skeins of various yarns.  Failing that, wander into the knitting section of your local crafts store or drugstore. 
* What to start with:  Potholders, headbands, or some small, simple thing made with cheap yarn that won't matter if you don't do it right.  Just knit something straight, and keep knitting till it feels sort of habitual. 
* "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."  I've knitted a sweater (for a former boyfriend).  You basically follow a simple software program, using knit stitch, purl stitch, increase stitches, decrease ditto, and bind off -- thousands of stitches over ~100 rows.

Knitting went through a hipster vogue a few years ago.  They may have all moved on to making their own home-fermented dill pickles or something, but poke around -- there may be some hipster knitting hangout in your neighborhood. 

Good luck!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 01:41:40 AM »
* What to start with:  Potholders, headbands, or some small, simple thing made with cheap yarn that won't matter if you don't do it right.  Just knit something straight, and keep knitting till it feels sort of habitual. 

Scarves are ridiculously simple since you're just knitting in a straight line and you get something cute out of it at the end!
Also the good thing about knitting is that if you mess up/don't like it you can always unravel the whole thing and start over! :D
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:35 AM »
What I like about knitting is that it relaxes me and I get some product out of it afterwards, which I never do in any other hobbies (because I can't draw/carve/etc.). My grandmother told me the basics when I was little, and now I'm starting to learn how to do patterns in different colours on my own.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »

You can definitely teach yourself! That's what I did. Use the resources you have, and since you have the internet, there are probably a couple million youtube videos and articles out there if you can't figure out what exactly you're supposed to be doing with the yarn.

For different types of yarn, generally the label holds all the information you'd need, once you've figured out any esoteric abbreviations. Don't worry too much about it, especially if you're just starting out.

And like Sunflower and Solovei say, start small! Knit lots of squares that you can turn into potholders or pouches or something (or just unravel if you don't like). Scarves are especially good to practice getting all your stitches even. :D

I really need to get back into knitting...

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
This is a great website with little videos to show techniques: http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Also really helpful for basic information is Stitch n' b****, by Debbie Stoller: http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-b****-The-Knitters-Handbook/dp/0761128182

My grandmother taught me around when I was 12, but I only knit scarves for forever. These two resources helped me expand on that and learn more.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
I must figure out how to turn these things into weaving patterns. They will be mine!   :-*

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:03 AM »
So, I was wondering if anyone knew how projects like making Sigrun's sweater would be created. Would they be done via knitting? Crocheting? Some other process?

EDIT: In the spirit of skald-hood, I've decided to go back through some of the previous Disqus threads and find some of the info that was previously offered up in response to Sigrun's sweater so that I don't lose it. All the below are from Disqus, not from the forum.

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=269
Quote from: Unlos
Drops design has got crazy many patterns that you can print out for free, it seems (I haven't read their terms of use, the only hitch is that they're in nordic. But I guess you could find someone to translate for you) Links: A similar lusekofte, Their homepage, and Nordic patterns

EDIT: They have an english version of the site too. As for the nordic hitch: I was not thinking of myself, as I am norwegian, but of possible non-nordic-sweater-loving people.
And sadly, after several tries at knitting, I have given up. I never got the hang of doing it with relaxed shoulders, so even small projects used to give me tension headaches from unnameable places. Even so, it is fun to browse!

Quote from: wavewright62
Ravelry.com has great patterns, many of which are free.ave

Quote from: ReturnOfDaveBro
The Drops designs are provided by a yarn seller called Garn Studio. Tbe terms of use are that the designs are free to customers for hobby use. Retailers are listed under "Finn et Butikk". Here is their list of international retailers:
Moni Lana - www.monilana.nl

Nordic Mart - www.nordicmart.com

Woollen-studio - www.woollen-studio.com

Alle EU-land og Canada

Boutique Kalidou - www.boutique-kalidou.fr

Alle EU-land

Deisy Design - www.deisydesign.nu

Netgarn - www.netgarn.dk

Garnlagret - www.garnlagret.se

Hobbydoos - www.hobbydoos.nl

Lanade - www.lanade.de

Good luck! :)

Quote from: Ooo-La-La
Lusekofte

Quote from: Wikipedia
Lusekofte cardigan.

The lusekofte is a traditional Norwegian sweater, dating from the 19th century.

The original setesdalsgenser (Setesdal sweater) features a black and white design, and the name means "lice jacket", after the isolated black stitches.[1] They may also feature selburose designs. In recent times additional color is sometimes given to this black and white sweater by woven ribbons or bands of black woolen fabric embroidered in the type of colorful designs also found in the bunads and in rosemaling around the neck and along the front opening. These front opening are usually closed by a row of pewter or silver clasps.

After the lusekofte was discovered by tourists in the 1920s, it became very popular and today they are made in are many different patterns and colours[1] in addition to the traditional Setesdal sweater.

The lusekofte is casual attire, traditionally mostly worn by men.

Quote from: Sunflower
Sigrun sweaters (warning: not cheap):
http://us.daleofnorway.com/women/eventyr/valle/

This site opens up a world of possibilities for Sigrun's civvie wardrobe:
http://us.daleofnorway.com/accessories/

Quote from: Unlos
These patterns are in norwegian/swedish/Danish, for those who love knitting:

Quote from: JaneB
There are some great patterns and books of patterns in English too! (My Mum knit us all round-yoked sweaters with designs like that in the 1970s, my Dad was wearing his at Christmas this year...). Here's a quick link to a free pattern for a man's sweater with the sort of square yoke Sigrun is wearing, but there are loads out there.

I have too many items in my project queue to add a sweater... at least, not until I have baked some of the recipes from my new Swedish baking book and finished the blanket I'm crocheting!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:11:20 AM by Eris »

Laowai

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
I found a store near me that will teach me how to knit Lovikka mittens!!!!!

But first I have to how to knit in the round on double-pointed needles....

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »
Quote from: Laowai
I just learnt how to do this. The first part is the hardest. And I'm constantly counting my stitches because I'm so afraid to loose some on the way...
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
I found a store near me that will teach me how to knit Lovikka mittens!!!!!

Neat! I want to learn to knit someday. Right now I'm "knitting" a scarf on a circular loom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEnpObQxVgM

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
Neat! I want to learn to knit someday. Right now I'm "knitting" a scarf on a circular loom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEnpObQxVgM

That looks really cool.  Only I'm fascinated/terrified by the teacher's long, square, sharp-looking fingernails...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
That looks really cool.  Only I'm fascinated/terrified by the teacher's long, square, sharp-looking fingernails...
I know! I don't know how she accomplishes anything with them. O_O

Kata Kissa

• Tumblr
  • word to your fjord, krissy. word.
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
I just learnt how to do this. The first part is the hardest. And I'm constantly counting my stitches because I'm so afraid to loose some on the way...

You might try using two circular needles rather than DPNs?  I find that with DPNs I'm always worried about losing stitches or the needles slipping out when i'm not working on the project. this is not the most easy to follow guide, but it gets the basic idea across, and I know there are better guides out there. 

I've found it to be much easier and less stressful than DPNs, which I avoid at all cost.
Native: :usa:
Attempting to learn: :norway:
Wanting to learn: :finland: