Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124188 times)

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
Re: Books!
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »
*didn't read the entire thread back*
Any Patrick Rothfuss fan around? Somebody? Still waiting for TKKC to finally turn a trilogy *sighs* someday... no, The Slow Regard of Silent Things doesn't count. Yes, I enjoyed it, and yes, I would understand anybody absolutely hating it because it's such a strange tale XD

Ooh, me! Except I'm going to have to re-read them before the new one comes out (whichever future day that may be) because I've forgotten so much.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
*didn't read the entire thread back*
Any Patrick Rothfuss fan around? Somebody? Still waiting for TKKC to finally turn a trilogy *sighs* someday... no, The Slow Regard of Silent Things doesn't count. Yes, I enjoyed it, and yes, I would understand anybody absolutely hating it because it's such a strange tale XD

Still waiting.

At this rate I expect a monstrous brick twice the size of A Wise Man's Fear.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
Do we have any fans of Ben Aaronovitch's PC Grant series? Fun and gripping novels about a modern day London cop who gets apprenticed to the last official wizard in England. There are five books so far with another coming out in June, and a bunch of spin off comics that I'm yet to check out.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
Do we have any fans of Ben Aaronovitch's PC Grant series? Fun and gripping novels about a modern day London cop who gets apprenticed to the last official wizard in England. There are five books so far with another coming out in June, and a bunch of spin off comics that I'm yet to check out.

Oh yes. I mainlined those when I started reading them.  (Even better because I recognized so many places from my time living in London)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2016, 02:18:17 AM »
Oh yes. I mainlined those when I started reading them.  (Even better because I recognized so many places from my time living in London)

I'm a big London nerd, so although I don't live there (or even on the same side of the planet) I know exactly what you mean.

I got so involved in Rivers of London/Midnight Riot that when I figured out who the villain was about a chapter before the characters did, it took all I had not to start jumping up and down shouting "It's [villain] you fools!". I was on a bus at the time, so it would not have been a good look :)

(Yes, I do a lot of my reading on the bus)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
I'm a big London nerd, so although I don't live there (or even on the same side of the planet) I know exactly what you mean.

I got so involved in Rivers of London/Midnight Riot that when I figured out who the villain was about a chapter before the characters did, it took all I had not to start jumping up and down shouting "It's [villain] you fools!". I was on a bus at the time, so it would not have been a good look :)

(Yes, I do a lot of my reading on the bus)

I expect I'll read the next one the day it comes out (which is about when I'll download it)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
I'd like to thank whoever was talking about The Goblin Emperor some time ago. It had been a while since I last finished a book in one sitting. (On the other hand, I didn't do any of the homework I had planned to work on tonight, but I don't care, it was worth it.)
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
I'd like to thank whoever was talking about The Goblin Emperor some time ago. It had been a while since I last finished a book in one sitting. (On the other hand, I didn't do any of the homework I had planned to work on tonight, but I don't care, it was worth it.)

It was a few people who mentioned it, I think. But AHH yes, TGE! Such a fun book. *_* Well worth neglecting responsibilities for, I think. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
So, it's time to read a book I should have read eight or nine years ago. (Outch, this period of my life can't be so old ?) The last Harry Potter ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
So, it's time to read a book I should have read eight or nine years ago. (Outch, this period of my life can't be so old ?) The last Harry Potter ^^°

I never got past book five :-[
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2016, 11:10:51 AM »

Wow, has it really been that long?
I've been thinking about re-reading them, but... that would mean I'd have to dig them out of storage. /Lazy
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
I never got past book five :-[
I will always remember how I was just taking a look at a few pages, in my book five, thinking "It's in English, I won't understand sentences correctly if I'm not concentrate." (I was... oh, I don't remember exactly, but in high school, so at a moment when reading a whole book in a foreign language isn't exactly what your teachers are waiting for you to do but, you know, books weren't translated in French so quickly, soooooooo...) Well. WORST IDEA EVER. (Or "how to learn who will die in one glance, well done, Mélu.")

I've been thinking about re-reading them, but... that would mean I'd have to dig them out of storage. /Lazy
I know why I hadn't bought the book immediately in a bookshop and in which year it was, so yes, it's... that long and no-so-long-isn't-it ?
Having this last one in French is really strange. Friends were promising to lend me this book since years, because I'm hearing a "How could you haven't read it ?!?" since years too ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »

Try the audiobooks with Stephen Fry - he's a genius.

I will always remember how I was just taking a look at a few pages, in my book five, thinking "It's in English, I won't understand sentences correctly if I'm not concentrate." (I was... oh, I don't remember exactly, but in high school, so at a moment when reading a whole book in a foreign language isn't exactly what your teachers are waiting for you to do but, you know, books weren't translated in French so quickly, soooooooo...) Well. WORST IDEA EVER. (Or "how to learn who will die in one glance, well done, Mélu.")

Hmmm... reading the HP books in English boosted my language skills  more than any English course.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
Hmmm... reading the HP books in English boosted my language skills more than any English course.
It had been the same for me :)
The funniest thing with this 7th book I read sooooooo late is that I hadn't read/seen any spoilers in... six or seven years maybe ?

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
*does gleeful dance about another person reading The Goblin Emperor*

And wow, it's amazing you haven't encountered spoilers for the last Harry Potter, Mélusine! I was one of the first among my friends to finish it when it came out, and I was still desperately worried about having it spoiled.

SectoBoss I can't say that I blame you, book 5 was my least favorite. Six was okay and I really loved the seventh, though.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: