Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124221 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Books!
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
*whispers*
Game of Thrones
*runs*
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

IKEA

« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:26 PM »
*whispers*
Game of Thrones
*runs*
Is it really any good? I've heard so much about it but have always been put off by all the rape, sex, incest and more rape. Are these elements as pronounced as I've heard? (Disclaimer: huge Wheel of Time fan so series length isn't an issue).

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
The show? Definitely.
Less so in the books. I paid a lot more attention to the politics and battles.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2016, 09:54:13 PM »
The books are better. You get a lot more of background, history, character development and motivations, and many more subtle hints about precisely what is really going on. And the description is great.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
The books are better. You get a lot more of background, history, character development and motivations, and many more subtle hints about precisely what is really going on. And the description is great.

I bounced pretty hard off the books.  I very quickly said the Eight Deadly Words.  I've never seen the show.

The Eight Deadly Words are "I don't care what happens to these people."
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:02 PM »
Not to derail the current discussion, but in the pg 491 comments, mention was made of Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead (aka The 13th Warrior). Now, I personally dislike most of Crichton's oeuvre for the same reason I dislike most of Asimov's oeuvre: not from any defect in workmanship, but because I dislike the main characters.

Do any of you have authors whose writing you like except for the characterization?
I bounced pretty hard off the books.  I very quickly said the Eight Deadly Words.  I've never seen the show.

The Eight Deadly Words are "I don't care what happens to these people."
…Maybe my question isn't so derailing to the discussion after all.

IKEA

« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2016, 11:58:06 PM »
Arthur C. Clarke. His ideas were great but I cannot remember a single memorable thing about any of his characters, or even any names besides Dave Bowman. HAL-9000 doesn't count; I mean human characters.

Róisín

« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:05 AM »
As my husband said when I asked if he had read 'War and Peace' (which I enjoyed): "I asked myself whether I would care if, in the next chapter, every character developed the purple spotted plague and died. The answer was no. So I stopped reading." There are some characters in 'Game of Thrones' that take me that way: Sansa, Littlefinger, that stupid boy king, for example. On the other hand, I find myself caring what happens to Bran, Arya, Tyrion, Brienne, Jon Snow and Sam. I know many people stopped reading when the character they liked best went down.

Stephen Donaldson is another writer whom I find 'good in parts'. His prose is a delight. The giants are a marvellous creation. His landscapes sing. But Thomas Covenant....if I want to read an annoying main character, I'd prefer Hannu. Covenant rouses in me the impulse to pick him up by the scruff and shake him out of his self-indulgent whining. It quite spoils the story for me.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2016, 12:40:56 AM »
Stephen Donaldson is another writer whom I find 'good in parts'. His prose is a delight. The giants are a marvellous creation. His landscapes sing. But Thomas Covenant....if I want to read an annoying main character, I'd prefer Hannu. Covenant rouses in me the impulse to pick him up by the scruff and shake him out of his self-indulgent whining. It quite spoils the story for me.

Couldn't agree more! There's an edited Thomas Covenant cover floating around the interwebs somewhere, retitled as "[Nasty-word] Leper Hero" which sums it up pretty well.

Some of Donaldson's short stories are brilliant though. Reave the Just and Animal Lover have stuck with me for years.

Edit: Oops! Didn't realise that was a forbidden word. My bad!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:42:36 AM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #234 on: March 15, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »
Clarke, and a few of Stephen King's books. Also most of the YA books I read. The Maze Runner being the worst offender.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #235 on: March 15, 2016, 08:56:04 AM »
Arthur C. Clarke. His ideas were great but I cannot remember a single memorable thing about any of his characters, or even any names besides Dave Bowman. HAL-9000 doesn't count; I mean human characters.

Other than Karellen, yeah, me neither.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Róisín

« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
Thing about Asimov is that in his stories the Idea is the hero. The people are just supporting characters, there to let the Idea work. Whereas a writer like Ursula le Guin or David Brin writes characters from whom the story flows. There's an interesting discussion over on the Writers' thread about plot-driven versus character-driven writing, and how the styles shape stories, that may be relevant here.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »

I've often said that if you took all the repetitions  and variations of "Leper outcast unclean!" out of the first Thomas Covenant trilogy you'd have a single, good novel.

Oh, another book that everyone should read is John Myers Myers' "Silverlock"

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Lately I've been reading the Leviathan trilogy, by Scott Westerfeld. It's also filled with some pretty awesome illustrations by Keith Thompson. I don't want to give too much of the story away, but it's basically a steampunk-ified alternate history of WWI, and starts off following the story of an Austrian prince named Aleksander. I'm on the second book now, Behemoth, and I just started reading it yesterday and am past halfway already... ::)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
Very fun, but a bit biased in favor of the Darwinists, IMHO. He only applies physics to the mech guys haha