Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124193 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Books!
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:50 AM »
Has anyone recommended Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver yet? They are absolutely gorgeous and I think SSSS-readers would like them. They're "historical fantasy" except they're actually pre-historical fantasy and they will make you want to roam forests for hours or days afterwards
*Appear suddenly* Did anyone said "forests" ? :D
*Make a quick research* Transleted in french. My purse might hate me.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Neal Stephenson
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »
... has some fans.  Discussion from p. 318; I'll edit it later.

Ruby 
I initially read that as "Hiro Protagonist" and got really excited that there was another Neal Stephenson fan here. :( *takes a long, lonely drink*

just another flyboy  Ruby • 3 days ago
there is, dear one, take heart!! also, read Zodiac, too if not already done. w00t! Stephenson 4 da WIN!

Euodiachloris  Ruby • 3 hours ago
Um, yes? Let's just say I know the link to Sumaria implied with that name, too. ;)

Sunflower  Ruby • 4 hours ago
There Is Another.

Ruby 
SUNFLOWER
*tackle hugs sunflower*
Which is your favorite novel of his what about your favorite character what do you think of his social commentary omg isn't he amazing!!?!?! *pant pant*

Sunflower 
I adore everything about Neal Stephenson except that he can't write a convincing female character to save his life.
Sure, they're all hypercapable superwomen, from Y.T. to Eliza, but none of them have believable inner lives. In contrast to his often bumbling or unsure, but very thoroughly drawn, male protagonists.

With that said, Stephenson is incredibly prophetic about cultural and technological trends, and he's very funny in a dry way.

Euodiachloris  Sunflower • 3 hours ago
Agreed. xP Action scenes? Check. Interesting villains? Very check. Complex, thought-provoking plot? Hell, yeah.

Strong Female Protagonist? Well... he can kinda do Action Girls quite well -- good luck with any other woman. :P
1  • Reply•Share ›
Ruby  Sunflower • 3 hours ago
I largely agree, but to play devil's advocate: what about Nel from Diamond Age? She is a multi-faceted character who survives impossible odds, but as a result of a combination of smarts and blind luck rather than through any hypercapability. She does have "super power" moral sense, but that can be explained through her education from the interactive book.
 • Reply•Share ›
Sunflower  Ruby • 3 hours ago
Eh, well, Stephenson isn't George Eliot, and "The Diamond Age" isn't a character-driven novel like "The Mill on the Floss" -- I guess I'm OK with that. "The Diamond Age" is probably my favorite of his books, if only because I totally want to be a Neo-Victorian.

She's... still a bit flat. Without that book, she'd still be the meek, abused girl who would have died of a brain haemorrhage. -_-

Ruby  Euodiachloris • 3 hours ago
Isn't that part of the point, though? We are all shaped by our circumstances. Without the book, Nel would have been one more poor girl on the streets, but with it she was able to make more of herself. Stephenson is pointing out the power of education.

Unfortunately, with all the grace of a standard McGuffin Magical Girl premise. xP

Sunflower  Euodiachloris • 3 hours ago
And an ending that comes out of nowhere.

Yeah, the ending to Diamond Age is definitely one of its weakest points.
YT's cameo completely makes up for it though. ^_^

Sunflower  Ruby • 3 hours ago
So is that canon? That Y.T. grew up to be the elderly headmistress?

""Chiselled Spam," Miss Matheson said, sort of mumbling it to herself.
"Pardon me, Miss Matheson?" Nell said.
"I was just watching the smart wheels and remembering an advertisement from my youth," Miss Matheson said. "I used to be a thrasher, you know. I used to ride skateboards through the streets. Now I'm still on wheels, but a different kind. Got a few too many bumps and bruises during my earlier career, I'm afraid.""

The inclusion of the phrase "chiselled spam" certainly gives the impression of intentionality to the reference.

Sunflower, what Neal Stephenson book would you recommend? I'm currently trying to read Cryptonomicon, but finding it frustrating that so many of the historical references are going over my head.

Sunflower  Ruby • 2 hours ago
I'm not the best one to ask, since I haven't read any of Stephenson's novels after "Quicksilver." I hear "Reamde" is good, and not as hugely oversized as most of his other novels. If you found Cryptonomicon hard to follow (though the Wikipedia article helps), you'd definitely want the fan-wiki for "Quicksilver," though unfortunately it's mostly archived now. http://baroquecycle.wikia.com/...

I liked his 1999 nonfiction long essay/short book, "In the Beginning Was the Command Line." I work in the high-tech field though I'm not a programmer, and "Command Line" was a great help in explaining a lot of the concepts and trends I had to make sense of. I generally like his essays and journalism pieces.

He's coming out with a new novel, Seveneves, on May 19!

just another flyboy 
Cryptonomicon is well worth the work, though. maybe, read some, then research what caught your eye, then read more? it's grrrreat!! *iz maybe a *tad* overenthused*

Ruby  just another flyboy • 2 days ago
That's what my sister keeps telling me, so I'll keep pushing through! :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:42:22 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
Has anyone recommended Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver yet? They are absolutely gorgeous and I think SSSS-readers would like them. They're "historical fantasy" except they're actually pre-historical fantasy and they will make you want to roam forests for hours or days afterwards

I stumbled across the first book in a used book store a few years ago and loved it. It's a great series!

Another really good series is Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series. It's set during WWI in an alternate universe and is of the steampunk variety. Also The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima is the first book in a really good fantasy adventure series and I highly recommend it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »
I stumbled across the first book in a used book store a few years ago and loved it. It's a great series!

Another really good series is Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series. It's set during WWI in an alternate universe and is of the steampunk variety. Also The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima is the first book in a really good fantasy adventure series and I highly recommend it.
I saw some art from it a while ago (I'm a sucker for illustrated novels - highly recommend Brom's work i.e. The Child Thief) but a few of my grad school classmates mentioned that it was geared to rather young kids... Like, Harry Potter-level? (Not the later HP books either, like the first and second books). Would an old bitter person like me still enjoy Leviathan?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
I saw some art from it a while ago (I'm a sucker for illustrated novels - highly recommend Brom's work i.e. The Child Thief) but a few of my grad school classmates mentioned that it was geared to rather young kids... Like, Harry Potter-level? (Not the later HP books either, like the first and second books). Would an old bitter person like me still enjoy Leviathan?

Hmmmm I would say yes it would be similar to the first few Harry Potter books. It's actually been a few years since I've read it, I think I was around 14 when I read the last book. I'd have to go back to the library and reread it to see. The atmosphere of SSSS made me think of it though. You can always try it out and see how it goes. The art is really well done if all else fails.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Divra

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »

I'm significantly older and more bitter than you, and I enjoyed Leviathan. Granted, I am very fond of both steampunk and historical allusions (which the series indulges heavily in). My one gripe with it was how very clear it was which side of the background conflict we're supposed to like (which was particularly jarring since neither side is particularly evil).

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
The Phantom Tollbooth
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 05:04:11 AM »
Several of us discovered on p. 318 that we are fans of Norton Juster's brilliant story, "The Phantom Tollbooth."  We were inspired by a Disqus poster who chose his/her pseudonym accordingly:

PhantomTollBoat
well if he doesn't know how to paddle maybe he can sit still and stay silent, for the magic boat goes without saying.

Auleliel 
(Is that a Phantom Tollbooth reference?)

Ruby 
Squeeeee! My favorite book of all time! ^_^
Though I must warn you about jumping to Conclusions, because you'll have to swim back. ;)

Auleliel 
It is my favorite book of all time, too! :D

Blackjazz 
MINE TOO! :DDD

Sunflower 
So I'm not the only one who finds myself in the Doldrums (and out of Context) a lot of the time...

LooNEY_DAC 
And now, a moment of noise to commemorate the DREADFUL RAUW, who perished in the Great Silence of '88, (and to link book & movie): NOISE, BEAUTIFUL NOISE by Kakafonous A. ("AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE") Discord, Doctor of Dissonance.

Ruby
AAAAH JOY!
I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE!!!

LooNEY_DAC 
Then how has no one recognized me as the Everpresent Wordsnatcher?

Ruby
Alas, they did not notice, for I am the Senses Taker.

Sunflower --> Auleliel
OK if I archive? We need to educate the youth on the value of knowing things. And owning little electric cars that come with magic tollbooths.

Auleliel --> Sunflower
The Phantom Tollbooth is absolutely one of the most important things to know about. ...

I remember waiting for a tollbooth-sized package that never came. (So then I focused on book-sized packages. :) ) Knowledge is power, and also fun.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:32:15 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
Recently I got obsessed with The Enemy series by Charlie Higson.

I was very sceptical at the beginning as I usually am with the post apocalyptic infection genre. However, not only was I pleasantly surprised, but I was also blown away beyond belief. The style of writing is near perfect, every word fits in its place like a puzzle piece. The author skilfully plays with the strings of your heart, making you fall inlove with the characters, he makes you feel what they feel. Their loss is your loss, their pain yours...The whole book is one massive blood fest. Safety is but a long forgotten dream and hope that mocks them at each corner.  As you read you forget that the main characters are just a bunch of children until you are reminded of the brutal cruelty of the reality. And then you feel anger the unfairness of the situation.

The book is a wonderful roller-coaster of emotions and mutilated diseased body parts. If you think Game of Thrones has a lot of murdering think again, this series makes JR Martin's world look like a peaceful flowery playground.

I am devouring book two as I am typing this Rant/Review. I highly recommend this book to everyone!!! It will give you an unforgettable adventure.

Tap10lan

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2015, 04:01:41 AM »
Aleksis Kivi

Seitsemän veljestä / Sju bröder / Seven brothers / Sieben Brüder / Los siete hermanos / other editions?

Classic Finnish literature, sort of humorous social realism with a heart, and stylistically it speaks with the epic Kalevala songs.
First published in 1870

I've been thinking for a while about the characters in this epic comic. Unsurprisingly, there are elements in them that might be seen as emblematic of the countries/cultures they come from, although of course not exclusively of those cultures. That, also, isn't really important, even though it's one of those things enjoyable to discuss, disagree, and generally have fun about.
As we've already seen, there are powerful elements from old Finnish culture, the runo singers may be the clearest such. Thus, one could look at the Finnish national epic Kalevala, and compare with the characters in it, since it is such a clearly character driven epic. I'm sure many of you have already thought of this.
However, it also made me think of a book which far fewer probably have come in contact with: Aleksis Kivi's "Seitsemän veljestä"/"Sju bröder"/"Seven brothers" (It should really be "Of seven brothers", but I guess that isn't as terse, or something?)
There you have 7 Finnish brothers (young adults) who've lost their parents. They're a mess, and try to deal with life in accordance with their various personalities. They also try to help their brothers ... Since they are so different, this causes some troubles. They get in fights, can't agree on what to do, and aren't exactly seen as pillars of the community in rural Finland.
It was first published in 1870, so the language isn't for everyone, but what makes me love it is exactly that language. It's akin to those rolling runo songs. With a good translator, it could be great in English, too.
I also love it for those imperfect, lovable lunks of characters, the brothers.
Hope this inspires some of you! ;D
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2015, 04:20:13 AM »
Long, long ago, before her schoolwork forced her to read other books, a little Wolf found a book for 0,30 cents in a thriftshop. It was 'The Amulet series' from Stephen King/Peter Straub. She enjoyed it a lot. It has a werewolf in it, and dimension switching, which she really likes. It also has some elements of a coming of age story with (dark) fantasy elements and in her personal opinion, writing that 'easily' takes you away from the mundane. A good read, she sighed, as she wished she could finish it, staring out of the (internet) window, craving vacation days when the head is empty and ready to receive books again that let you read them without blowing up your mind.

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Tap10lan

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 05:44:15 AM »
But right now, the serie I read and read and reread: Malazan book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson with the parallel serie written by Ian Esselmont Novels of the Malazan Empire.
It is in a fantasy setting, more or less but you won't find any dwarves or elves. The magic is very different from what you encounter most of the time and the characters. Ah, the characters: one day you want to kill one and love the other but then you read and you find that you pity the first one and the second is a cruel bastard... Oh yeah. Those books got me good.
Anyone reading them?

They're my all-time favourite fantasy series, bar none.
I was going to suggest Steven Erikson's Malazan series, from a few slightly different perspectives (well, they're great, I love them, and all of course :D )
I've noticed several posters mentioning not reading unfinished series: well this is one of those rare things - a 10 part fantasy series, which the author said would be 10 parts, and which he published in a timely, reliable manner!!!
Also, there ARE elves ... sort of ... They even have various colours. I would even go so far as to say Steven Erikson put in an homage to Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné (yet another good fantasy writer who's influenced the entire genre).
He's actually managed to show his love for many different predecessors (Conan, anyone, and OH SO CORRECT! ;D ), and all he does fits together seamlessly!
This goes for the entire epic fantasy series.
He works the entire scale from individuals, army squads (yup, there are wars) all the way up to entire races/cultures, and gods.
He also has a magic system which is integrated into the whole multiverse, its history, and intimately connected to the story/stories.
He even manages to have "character progression" from lowly human to God
Even more impressive: he balances the cultures so a Rome-type mighty empire (PLUS heavy magic) has well-deserved respect for the stone age culture it comes across. Magic can be a great leveler, but it COSTS!
He borrows from everywhere, but makes it all his own, and it all fits together.
I would compare it with the great Homeric epics in scope, as well as ambition.

Am I exaggerating? Check it out. The first book is a finished work in itself, even though you will want to know what will happen, of course. ;D
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Tap10lan

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2015, 06:28:29 AM »
Few that I could recommend, mostly SF

Michael Cobley Humanitys Fire series, starting with Seeds of Earth

Hannu Rajaniemi
Quantum thief, Fractal Prince and Causal Angel
They were good read at 1st go, but these were rare in the respect that I need to read them trough again, to get good grasp of them.

Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt series, about 10 books, last four of which is still unread. Fantasy but very unconventional, some bit heavier strecthes, but all in all interesting.

Oh, and Ken MacLeods Star Fraction, Stone Canal, Cassini Division, and Sky Road, at least Star Fraction on has some current relevance maybe?

-C

Oooh! Ken MacLeod! Love him! Everything (I've read that) he's written is great!

Also, I like Cobley's trilogy. I tend to compare it to what Star Wars should be: truly epic with lots of rollicking action, stars in the balance, and some goofy characters (no bloody floppy ears, though).

Have to check out Hanny Rajaniemi ...

As well as Adrian Tchaikovsky ...
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Tap10lan

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »
So I was in the library the other day, and came across a Temeraire book I hadn't read yet. And then I realised I'd forgotten all about that series for years. Now I'm on a rereading mission, heheh.

For those of you that love fantasy, and love dragons, and love history (but not for pedantic peoples - history is changed here), the Temeraire series is very good. It's set in the time of the Napoleonic wars (the first, I think...urgh, it's been a while) from the British perspective, and the entire premise of the series is how the world would be if sentient dragons existed throughout history. I've been enjoying the latest book immensely - it brings in a very interesting concept, but no spoilers here~

I think I've read 5 of these. Have to look for the later ones.
For me they make me think of the Hornblower books, in a good way. It's the era, as well as the war, but it is also a matter of the social commentary. Plus of course the dragons! They're lovely! Good stuff.
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Tap10lan

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2015, 06:42:28 AM »
Any Sherlock Holmes peeps out there, the Mary Russell series (by Laurie R. King) is excellent.
It's a spin-off that starts when the aging detective runs into a really smart teenager during his beekeeping days, about 6 months after the last Conan Doyle story. There are lots of books, but the first several are the best and it is really beautiful and ... she didn't try to preserve Holmes the way he was, because he wouldn't be like that anymore? So it's better than a lot of the spin-offs I've read.
First book is called The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Hahaaa! A Laurie R. King fan! I haven't read more than part of her first Mary Russell book, for some strange reason ... can't really explain.
However, I love her Kate Martinelly crime novels, and I also quite enjoyed A Darker Place and Folly. Her post-apocalyptic sci-fi Califia's Daughters is also good.

I have to say thank you to Minna once more for gathering us all here!
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Tap10lan

Re: Neal Stephenson
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »
... has some fans.  Discussion from p. 318; I'll edit it later.

I'm also a Stephenson fan!
I do like how he's so generous. His books aren't "Ooh, I came up with an idea! Let's stretch if for 300 pages!"
Rather, he builds worlds, and when he uses the established worlds, he keeps embellishing, and adding cool stuff all over.
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing