Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124174 times)

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
Re: Books!
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:09 PM »
Oooh, ooh! Had no idea this thread existed, but I should've looked for it.
Has anybody else read anything from the Stormlight Chronicles? Way of Kings? Words of Radiance? Ho about the Mistborn Trilogy? They've taken their place at the top of my favorite fantasy EVER. Brandon Sanderson's original works are amazing...
YES !! The misborn trilogy!!!! I am just looking through my shelf and was debating whether to start devouring the 3rd book. But I am afraid the series to finish, tho I know the author published few more....

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
YES !! The misborn trilogy!!!! I am just looking through my shelf and was debating whether to start devouring the 3rd book. But I am afraid the series to finish, tho I know the author published few more....

Definitely worth finishing. And I think he's got a sequel of sorts within the same universe? I haven't read it though... yet!
The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are absolutely phenomenal as well, though they start out a bit slow - intertwining tales take a bit to set up, but ooooh man do they get going.
I also really like Warbreaker, by him as well. He really has fascinating and well-thought-out worlds, magic, and cultures...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:38 AM »
Few that I could recommend, mostly SF

Michael Cobley Humanitys Fire series, starting with Seeds of Earth

Hannu Rajaniemi
Quantum thief, Fractal Prince and Causal Angel
They were good read at 1st go, but these were rare in the respect that I need to read them trough again, to get good grasp of them.

Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt series, about 10 books, last four of which is still unread. Fantasy but very unconventional, some bit heavier strecthes, but all in all interesting.

Oh, and Ken MacLeods Star Fraction, Stone Canal, Cassini Division, and Sky Road, at least Star Fraction on has some current relevance maybe?

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 05:15:20 AM »
Definitely worth finishing. And I think he's got a sequel of sorts within the same universe? I haven't read it though... yet!
The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are absolutely phenomenal as well, though they start out a bit slow - intertwining tales take a bit to set up, but ooooh man do they get going.
I also really like Warbreaker, by him as well. He really has fascinating and well-thought-out worlds, magic, and cultures...
I do agree, few are the authors who can create a world in such well thought manner. I think the Way of the King was classed as better than the Mistborn trilogy, but I can't really support that till I read it. However, Brandon Sanderson is quite the author, so I completely understand your fascination.

If you like his work you would probably also enjoy the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, I still need to finish it myself, but it is a book that wraps you up in a thrilling adventure. The characters and overall world are also so brilliant.

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »

"Bellwether," by Connie Willis? Sheepses! Science! Screwball comedy!! :)

IMO; YMMV:
She recently hit the Gabaldon Point of being "Too (Adjective) To Edit", and her last two books (Blackout, & All Clear) ballooned into multiplot, multi-PoV doorstops--still readable, but a comedown. Her time-traveling history students are my favorite series, one reason I muddled through the doorstops.
Fire Watch, a short story or novella, is wonderful.
Doomsday Book is a gripping tearjerker.
To Say Nothing of the Dog is a joyous screwball riff on Jerome K. Jerome (to offset Doomsday Book?), with kittehs.
You have to be good to reach the Gabaldon Point.

Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

"Bellwether," by Connie Willis? Sheepses! Science! Screwball comedy!! :)

IMO; YMMV:
She recently hit the Gabaldon Point of being "Too (Adjective) To Edit", and her last two books (Blackout, & All Clear) ballooned into multiplot, multi-PoV doorstops--still readable, but a comedown. Her time-traveling history students are my favorite series, one reason I muddled through the doorstops.
Fire Watch, a short story or novella, is wonderful.
Doomsday Book is a gripping tearjerker.
To Say Nothing of the Dog is a joyous screwball riff on Jerome K. Jerome (to offset Doomsday Book?), with kittehs.
You have to be good to reach the Gabaldon Point.
I loved To say nothing of the dog and have read Blackout, All Clear, Doomsday Book (Argh T_T) and Passage, but this one was without time-traveling history students. I'm sure I would have more students with me if we could have make a few time-traveling checking ^^
I'm reading again Lois Lowry because I love The Giver (Not the movie, the movie doesn't exist.), and the marvelous Nation by Terry Pratchett, and even if I have still a lot of books waiting to be read, I think of buying more Ray Bradbury... maybe From the Dust Returned.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »
*eyes light up when I saw this thread*
Now, I read a lot. A. Lot. But one book that I recently read that I really love is The Young Elites. It's only on its first book, but the main character is a huge twist. She really is creepy, but it seems you're seeing from the villains point of view!

Though, my favorite book series (finished) is Eragon. I could talk about it for hours, I won't but. It has dragons!   
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 01:57:39 AM »
Any Sherlock Holmes peeps out there, the Mary Russell series (by Laurie R. King) is excellent.
It's a spin-off that starts when the aging detective runs into a really smart teenager during his beekeeping days, about 6 months after the last Conan Doyle story. There are lots of books, but the first several are the best and it is really beautiful and ... she didn't try to preserve Holmes the way he was, because he wouldn't be like that anymore? So it's better than a lot of the spin-offs I've read.
First book is called The Beekeeper's Apprentice.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Mélusine

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:52 AM »
But one book that I recently read that I really love is The Young Elites. It's only on its first book, but the main character is a huge twist. She really is creepy, but it seems you're seeing from the villains point of view!
The translation is for june in France and I have a little sister very impatient to read it *Will read too* ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »
I have also heard of Young Elites, but I have so many series I need to finish right now that I think it will remain on my TBR list for a while.
But here is a suggestion for those who like creepy books that will suck you in the world with a jumping start "Ashes" by Ilsa Bick, it is chilling, the characters are well created and the writing has this odd way of wrapping your mind in such a clever manner that you feel, smell and see what the characters do.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »
creepy books

Speaking of creepy books, The 5th Wave. It's about an alien invasion but is a lot more creepy than it sounds. It really messes with the psychological problem of being safe with the threat of outsiders. It's pretty much going along with the idea that if aliens did invade, it would be a lot like how Christopher Columbus came to America. Except we would be the native Americans. By: Rick Yancey
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »
Has anyone read "Passages" by Connie Willis? It's about the Titanic and research into near-death experiences -- both of which include a lot of icy-water-under-starry-skies imagery that reminds me strongly of page 318. I recommend it highly.

It will make you cry, but that's a plus in my book.

http://smartb****estrashybooks.com/reviews/passage-by-connie-willis/

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/messages-from-beyond-death-connie-williss-passage
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
Has anyone read "Passages" by Connie Willis? It's about the Titanic and research into near-death experiences -- both of which include a lot of icy-water-under-starry-skies imagery that reminds me strongly of page 318. I recommend it highly.

It will make you cry, but that's a plus in my book.

http://smartb****estrashybooks.com/reviews/passage-by-connie-willis/

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/messages-from-beyond-death-connie-williss-passage
It's the last Connie Willis I read :) Not my favorite but a good one.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 05:06:28 AM »
While looking for a link to "Passage" I stumbled across a novella by the excellent John Scalzi, a prequel to "Lock-In."
"Unlocked:  An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome." 

It's relevant to SSSS because it describes the progress of a mysterious and hugely fatal epidemic.  Haden's Syndrome has very different symptoms and outcomes from The Rash, but Scalzi's description of how officials in the U.S. react to its onslaught is detailed and rings true. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
Has anyone recommended Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver yet? They are absolutely gorgeous and I think SSSS-readers would like them. They're "historical fantasy" except they're actually pre-historical fantasy and they will make you want to roam forests for hours or days afterwards
you'll know where to find me.