Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124212 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: Books!
« Reply #825 on: July 27, 2020, 07:14:55 AM »
Outside of graphic novels, I haven't read Alain Damasio's la Horde du contrevent (it's been sitting on my shelves unread for years, ahem), but I have several times heard it recommended as one of the best French fantasy books, with lots of innovative ideas and novel takes on the genre.

It is good ideed, even though I probably haven't read/watched anywhere near enough fantasy to see what's innovative in it (another possible explanation is that the limited time I dedicate to reading fantasy results in the stuff I do consume skewing "innovative"). An attempt at dating from a few years ago was reading it during that period. It's definitely a good idea to read a physical copy, as a gimmick in the book is going to make you check an early page a lot and makes it a chore to keep track of whose point of view you're currently reading on electronic readers. One thing that may interest you, if you don't know yet is that is has been made into a Franco-Belgian comic that already has two volumes out. It combines some characters from the fairly large cast to reduce the numbers a little, and changes the story just enough to surprise people who have read the book.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:18:56 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #826 on: July 27, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
But the Canterbury tales is fun!! I love the humour and satire. And Alisoun, the feisty Wife of Bath.

It is indeed! But Middle English needs a lot of interpretation for a speaker of modern English, not to mention formerly commonplace items and activities that don't exist now
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #827 on: July 27, 2020, 10:51:33 PM »
Yeah, I suppose I don’t notice that so much. The cultural dissonance I found most startling, when I first read the book in our large and multilingual family library, was that of a culture where someone who owns ‘Full twenty bokes’ is considered hugely well-supplied with books! Especially since back when I was a kid on my grandmother’s farm, much of day to day life there probably hadn’t changed much since Chaucer’s time. We didn’t even have electricity, though I knew what it was.

What we did have was a whole room set aside as a library and music room, containing whatever books and instruments many generations of far-wandering ancestors had brought back from their travels. I was allowed to attempt to play anything my tiny hands could manage, provided my hands were clean and an adult had time to supervise, and to attempt to read anything I could reach, so long as my hands were clean and I did not damage the books. Despite having to work and study hard (the place was a working farm, everyone pitched in) I had a happy and most informative childhood, and when I grew up and started competing for university scholarships I discovered that having been homeschooled until my mid teens had not been a detriment.

The Canterbury Tales was far from the strangest book I read as a child.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #828 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
Well the thing to be careful about when reading older stages of the English language (or of any language for that matter) is that it is often less transparent than it seems, and sentences that seem to have an obvious meaning can in fact mean something quite different.

For instance, the famous "methinks the lady doth protest too much" (not actually an exact quote from Hamlet, but it's the version of the quote everyone repeats) does not mean "I think the lady does protest too much", but rather "It seems to me the lady promises too much."

"Methinks" is a reduction of "it thinks to me", an impersonal verb, and when "think" is used that way it's equivalent to "seem". "Doth" while indeed equivalent to modern "does", has no emphatic value in this sentence, in fact it has no value at all, it's merely a different way to express the present tense. And finally "protest" really means "promise", especially in the original context of the scene; the character is not being accused of protesting her innocence so strongly that it becomes suspicious, but rather of making promises of faithfulness that seem unrealistic.

And that's Shakespeare. With Chaucer, you can easily multiply that problem by two (even with modernized spelling). Short of having actually studied the peculiarities of Middle English, having footnotes is invaluable to understand a lot of the Canterbury Tales correctly.

Just as a short overlook, here's a short lexicon of the 100 most common words in Middle English, with their translation in Modern English: https://www.csustan.edu/sites/default/files/ENGLISH/Perrello/Chaucer_glossary4-30.pdf

Look how many of them do not actually mean what they seem to mean!
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #829 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:02 AM »
Consider how in "the exception proves the rule" the meaning of "prove" has shifted so as to effectively reverse the original meaning of the phrase; from the exception putting the rule to the test, to the exception validating the rule, which doesn't quite make sense.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #830 on: July 28, 2020, 10:12:47 AM »
And one of my favourites : ‘black’ going from the group of words meaning absence of colour, like blank, bleach, and the like, probably via bleak as in weather, to meaning absence of colour specifically by being dark.

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #831 on: October 28, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »
I'm currently reading The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A fervent search for the original yielded nothing. I peruse a used bookstore that imports from the USA and oftentimes it's difficult to get the original entry in the series.

I'm trying to piece together what just happened in the original Hyperion from its sequel.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #832 on: October 28, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
I'm currently reading The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A fervent search for the original yielded nothing. I peruse a used bookstore that imports from the USA and oftentimes it's difficult to get the original entry in the series.

I'm trying to piece together what just happened in the original Hyperion from its sequel.

Hi! I've read Hyperion and I liked it a lot. I found that "Paperback Shop" has it, according to the portuguese FNAC online shop. Here's the address: https://paperbackshop.co.uk/shop-online/
Please note that I never bought anything from them so I have no idea how it works. So if you do buy from them please tell if everything was all right.
And good luck!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #833 on: October 28, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »
I'm currently reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue after weeks of not having time. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD. You should alllll read it. VE Schwab is amazing.   :))
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #834 on: October 30, 2020, 10:52:00 PM »
Last year's favorite for me is the New Weird Classic, Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

Set in the City of New Crobuzon, a technological wonder(waste)land, inhabitted by several unconventional sapient species, it is the story of Isaac Dan Der Grimnebulin and the fateful meeting between himself and a mysterious birdman, named Yahgarek.

It got me into weird fiction even more than I already am. Mieville's capacity for worldbuilding and giving his settings personality had me reading voraciously during my college's intramurals. and unlike a few books I've read it nicely balances its big ideas with the all important human element to SF.

i actually wrote a review of it for my school newspaper.

I'm currently reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue after weeks of not having time. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD. You should alllll read it. VE Schwab is amazing.   :))

I'll keep that one in mind.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #835 on: November 05, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
AAAAAA The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue was AMAZING! I loved the ending.  ;D
VE Schwab is just an amazing author and her books make me so happy. I can't wait to read more of her work. I still have a few of her books that I haven't read yet. As soon as the grad school gods permit me a break, I will get back to devouring them rapidly.

At this specific moment I'm reading the new Dragonwatch, Champion of the Titan Games by Brandon Mull. It's a continuation of a series called Fablehaven which came out when I was in elementary school. Brandon actually came to our school when his first book was released. It's for younger kids but the fantasy is so awesome and they're a lot of fun and engaging to read.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #836 on: December 29, 2020, 09:01:02 AM »
Apologies to the readers of this thread, but I come in with a bit of a rant. Due to the internet shortage that I've experienced recently, I came back to reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and I like it a lot, but there's one thing that really bothers me about it and it reminds me of another thing that bothers me in a different book series, so I feel like talking about it. The disclaimer is, I'm only at... three-quarters, maybe? of the third book, but I've seen some spoilers regarding later books. Okay, so let's go:

Spoiler: show
I really don't like how the Ajahs of the Aes Sedai are portrayed. I feel like their philosophies are too one-dimensional and simplistic, to the point that each of them might as well be a single character. This goes doubly so for the Red Ajah, which seem to be the Wheel of Time's equivalent of the Slytherin House - they're supposedly an integral and respected part of the organization... Except all the members we get to see are small-time bad guys who harbor an irrational hatred for the protagonists and seemingly exist only to hinder them at every turn, and there's really no reason they shouldn't have been disbanded a long time ago by their much more sensible superiors. And the kicker? THEY AREN'T EVEN THE REAL VILLAINS. THEY'RE JUST BEING JERKS FOR NO REASON. It's particularly shameful because the Red Ajah is the one branch with arguably the best defined and most sensible purpose since male channelers are such a clear and present threat in the setting. As it is, it's really hard not to suspect a Red sister of being a Darkfriend, because they might as well be with all the trouble they're causing. Which is unfortunate, because the White Tower plotline is my favorite of all introduced so far.

And so, I have a question to people who have had the time and perseverance needed to get through the monumental citadel of text that is the Wheel of Time series: does it get better later on?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #837 on: December 29, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »
I love Wheel of Time!

There are so many arcs and subplots and characters that it’s impossible to guess whether you’ll find the future parts good or not. I agree with your irritation however, on both groups you mentioned. Why would they be allowed to exist?

Still, there are multilayered interactions between the various groups (and many more groups not yet introduced) so there’s likely going to be something more to your liking. It’s not white hats vs black hats later on!

Like I said, I loved it. And I didn’t find it to be just empty entertainment as it’s sometimes ridiculed for (not that there’s anything wrong with being “just” entertaining). I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, and has he stamina to read through it all! Then again, my husband also likes fantasy but he stopped before he was half way through, because he felt there is much MUCH more description than he can take. I love the way RJJ described all the various peoples and places, the sights and customs (although not all of them are very deep, which I find understandable), but hubby was immensely bored by it. Each to their own :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #838 on: March 11, 2021, 07:01:52 AM »
Books, two of them: and an explanation of why these particular books at this time. First, the author. Rosanne Hawke. I had not met her before, although she lives in my part of country South Australia, and she knows people I know. She got conscripted at the last moment by one of our writers’ group who happens to be her neighbour, to be guest speaker/author at the anniversary meeting of our library writer’s group, since the person who had been going to be our speaker had suddenly and unexpectedly died. The event was held at the Eudunda history museum, which also has a lot of Colin Thiele memorabilia both in the museum and in the park next door (yes, the Colin Thiele who wrote ‘Storm Boy’, who also came from that area).

So we got a chance to look around the museum before listening to Rosanne speak, which was fascinating. She had been a teacher/ missionary in Afghanistan back before it became strategically important and had written some really interesting books about the culture and the cultural conflicts between our culture here and theirs, especially as regards arranged marriages.

She was also a descendant of early Cornish settlers in that Copper Triangle area, and knew that a lot of Cornish culture and folklore had been preserved there. I think I have mentioned the area before, including the Druid festival in the area, the Lowender Kernewek, and having myself done several jobs up there as a storyteller, including one where my mate Dusty and I did a gig at the North Kapunda hotel, which has a reputation as the most haunted hotel in Australia (if you want to see what we look like, there is a picture of us up on the Reenactment thread on the Fan Forum from a few years ago, at a Mediæval Fair. The tall whitehaired guy with the falconer and me is Dusty, I’m the short one).

I have also been able to translate the Cornish inscriptions on several tombstones in the Kapunda cemetery, and do other useful stuff up there, so I know a little about the Cornish folklore transplanted to the area along with the miners.

Anyway, the books I bought from Rosanne: one was a children’s/young adult’s short novel ‘Across the Creek’, which is a delightful fictional take on how modern kids might react if they found that some of the transplanted Cornish folklore was real. Funny, scary and sweet. I think my godsons, for whom I bought it, will absolutely love it.

The other book was ‘Riding the Wind’, which is about the art of writing for children and young adults. I think any author aspiring to write in those fields would find it extremely useful and informative!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #839 on: March 11, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
Consider how in "the exception proves the rule" the meaning of "prove" has shifted so as to effectively reverse the original meaning of the phrase; from the exception putting the rule to the test, to the exception validating the rule, which doesn't quite make sense.
I don’t know why I didn’t catch this earlier, but this is wrong because modern people confuse a rule with a law. A rule is a correlation or a guide, and thus can have exceptions; a law is absolute, and cannot. The exception proving the rule means that recognizing that an outlier or exception exists shows that the correlation also exists, aside from the exceptions.

Sorry; this kind of error really annoys me.