Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124152 times)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
Re: Books!
« Reply #675 on: April 10, 2019, 03:22:15 AM »
Depends. How much time can you devote to reading, and how angry does plot sprawl make you?

Time? Not as much as I'd like to, but I'm a quick reader, so it's not that bad.

How angry? Well, I've tackled some pretty long series (one that comes to my mind is The Black Company cycle by Glen Cook), but I'm not sure how they compare.

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #676 on: April 11, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
Time? Not as much as I'd like to, but I'm a quick reader, so it's not that bad.

How angry? Well, I've tackled some pretty long series (one that comes to my mind is The Black Company cycle by Glen Cook), but I'm not sure how they compare.

Okay, go right on ahead and read.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Hi

• DeviantArt
  • I exist
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything my dude
« Reply #677 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »
I love reading, but I really haven't had much time lately...
I've been reading the same, relatively short book for weeks.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #678 on: April 14, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
I love reading, but I really haven't had much time lately...
I've been reading the same, relatively short book for weeks.
I love books, and usually set a goal of 60 books/other supports read per year, partially because I always have a lot of book "in advance". I'm at 8/60 right now -__- but I don't despair to find more time in a way or an other.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #679 on: May 07, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
Having read Tiamat's Wrath I have one spoilery thought

Spoiler: show
I can't imagine that Bobbie would have died any other way.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2019, 07:42:37 AM »
Recently finished Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe. It's an astonishing collection of evidence for Indigenous Australians practicing agriculture, storing grain, constructing large scale water engineering, and building villages (and even towns!) before European invasion. It actually made me rather ashamed of my lack of knowledge, having been taught that the Aborigines were hunter gatherers who cleared out the land with fire to improve hunting, and had a few eel traps.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #681 on: May 09, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »
Pascoe makes many excellent points. The invasion, however, would have been much harder if they had had to make the same kinds of treaties as the Europeans had to make in New Zealand with the Maori people. But once Australia was declared terra nullius it was open slather, with a general attitude of 'no intelligent life here, go for it'. Sad. Though if you read the accounts of many early explorers they mention things like being taken to a well-built stone house and being fed on roast duck and cake.

Indeed, in the refuge valley not far from my place, the remnants of those stone houses can still be seen.

May I also recommend the work of Robin Coles, most notably 'The Ochre Warriors'. I have been on some of the trips Coles guided around here, and it was so worth doing.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #682 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
if you read the accounts of many early explorers they mention things like being taken to a well-built stone house and being fed on roast duck and cake.

That's the amazing thing - all that evidence freely available yet the vast majority of Australians (including myself until recently) have never heard of any of it!

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2019, 02:47:53 AM »
Oooooh thank you for bringing that to my attention :O Same case here, really. We did get taught about stone house remains and how the positioning of buildings was done deliberately for certain reasons, but the chief impression remained that most were hunter gatherers that moved around a lot. Also didn't really cover that there were/are multiple languages and cultures (and entiiirely skipped the Tasmanian genocide, found out about that from museums instead). It being Tasmania also meant that there were very few Aboriginals on the island - I met maybe 3 in my entire time there, and for pretty much everyone except those who went to the mainland regularly it was kind of like learning about a dead culture. I'll have a look if I can find those books somewhere, it's very much worth knowing more.
Am notified of private messages via email.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2019, 04:46:52 PM »
A new Rivers of London novella just came out and Peter Grant apparently has a fanboy
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Krillian

• Life's too short sometimes.
« Reply #685 on: June 26, 2019, 02:42:42 PM »
I've been reading Flames by Robbie Arnott, it's a fairly interesting fantasy adventure on the island of Tasmania, telling the stories of a bunch of people and their contact with this pair of supernatural siblings. It's a relatively short read but I am loving it.
Native - :brazil:
Fluent - :usa: - :uk:
Can hold small talk - :spain:
Actively Learning - :france: ; :germany: ; :wales: ; :netherlands:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #686 on: June 26, 2019, 10:45:00 PM »
Krillian, thanks for the recommend! I found a review site with a few chapters of the book, which I read and enjoyed. I intend to buy it as soon as I have enough spare money. Having lived in bush and coastal towns in country Tasmania, I love how the author catches the feel of the land there, and was particularly touched by the description of the young man and his working-partner seal, since the grey seal is one of the totemic animals of my own family. I mentioned the author to my library writers group this morning, and none of them had heard of him or his work, so hopefully some of them will now have a new book to read.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #687 on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:57 AM »
OOooooooOoOOooooh thank you for that recommendation! :O I've never come across a fiction work about Tasmania that wasn't about the animals exclusively, I'm going to search that up. Am curious how it captures the place. A cursory look at reviews tells me it's a style right up my alley, too :O
Am notified of private messages via email.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #688 on: July 09, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
A new Rivers of London novella just came out and Peter Grant apparently has a fanboy

Just finished it today after picking it up on Sunday. A very enjoyable read!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #689 on: July 13, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »
I recently read Venegeful and Vicious by VE Schwab and they were both really good! I recommend them for anyone who likes stories about people who end up with special powers. If any of you know the podcast the Bright Sessions, it really reminded me of it just more for adults and a lot darker.
Also I'm a sucker for angsty characters.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help