Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124233 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Books!
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
Do tell!

Indeed! We need to hear this song.

Hrm. I may have a recording of it somewhere from years back.  If not, I can try and do another one but it probably won't happen until after FilkONtario.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
You are going to FilkOntario? So much envy!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
I found American Gods to be somewhat heavy going. Fantastic ideas and amazing set pieces, but the overall grimness was a bit too oppressive for me.

But yes, Neverwhere is amazing!

Yeah, it does feel quite dark and heavy. I am really enjoying it so far though, all the little jokes about mythology every now and then are awesome. I especially like Mr. Ibis and Jacquel, they're great.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #528 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
You are going to FilkOntario? So much envy!

It's only an hour's flight to Toronto from here :)  (I could, in theory, drive it in about 8 hours but the cost would probably be about the same with gas and tolls.)

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

faea

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #529 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
I hope this is acceptable...I'm just so excited.

I PUBLISHED MY FIRST BOOK! 

I'd cosplay it but its urban fantasy (real world iwth magic), so I'll just have to continue contemplating a duct tape ssss uniform.  :P

Its called Sleepy Wolf Inn on amazon and smashword.  heeeeeeeee  *goes flailing around the room releasing balloons*

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »

I'd cosplay it but its urban fantasy (real world iwth magic), so I'll just have to continue contemplating a duct tape ssss uniform.  :P

Its called Sleepy Wolf Inn on amazon and smashword.  heeeeeeeee  *goes flailing around the room releasing balloons*
That's very much acceptable!! Congratulations!
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »

Congratulations!!
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
I just finished the 'Red Rising' trilogy by Pierce Brown, and I must say that it's some of best science fiction I've read in some time.  Even though I'm usually able to predict at least some of the things that'll happen in a book (or at least I like to think so), the books cut me by complete surprise multiple times. And I would say that the books get better after the first one, compared to many trilogies where the first book is the high point.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #533 on: May 09, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

Woot!

Athena

« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
Lately I've been reading:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (really dark but I loved it, overall a great book!)

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffery Cranor (based on the podcast of the same name, but it was a stand-alone story. A very good weird mystery story! Lots of twists and turns along the way, if you like the podcast you'll love the book.)

Dust by Arthur Slade (again, kinda a weird mystery story, pretty short but very interesting and an unexpected ending. Great book!)

And right now I'm re-reading 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. (Jules Verne)

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Athena

« Reply #535 on: May 10, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
Ok, I had to put down 20,000 Leagues for a moment, because I found a copy of DUNE, and its great!!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #536 on: May 11, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
Ok, I had to put down 20,000 Leagues for a moment, because I found a copy of DUNE, and its great!!

Wow, haven't ready that in years!  (Mind, I've only read the first 3 originally books.  Never got into the others like God Emperor of Dune or Lorna Dune.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #537 on: May 11, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #538 on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
You're reminding me how I was around your age, discovering cycles as The Belgariad or The Death Gate Cycle or PRATCHETT'S BOOKS ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »
What would obviously happen after a long time without reading had happened : I read The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) in less than 24h during the week and I'm at half of The long way to a small, angry planet (Becky Chambers), having began this one this morning. Ahem... ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: