Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124262 times)

BlueSkyVail

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Became too obsessed in too little time.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Books!
« Reply #285 on: June 16, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
I have a lot of feelings about books so hi!

I know some Minnions read his books because I got in a great discussion with some of them in the comments, but I want to recommend Brandon Sanderson to EVERYONE. :) He's a fantasy/science fiction/sorta-mystery writer. His books are incredible. He's my favorite author ever.

Basically, he's written a bunch of different series. There's one of my favorites, the Mistborn trilogy, which is incredible. (And now there's gonna be two other trilogies in the same universe... what?!) There's the Stormlight Archive, which will consist of 10 monstrous books. Number three comes out this year but the series is already insanely good. Elantris, his debut, is remarkable. I don't even know how to describe how incredible his writing is. He's amazing at world building and character development. He writes a lot of books at once, so even when you're caught up, the next one is never more than a few months out. Not to mention that he's a master of plot twists and intricate plot lines, but he never makes it confusing. It's great.

One of the most impressive parts of Sanderson's writing is that, although there are many series and books in different universes with different magic systems, they're all connected somehow, in a "universe" called the Cosmere. We don't know how it's all connected yet, but there are some things that show up in all the books (such as a mysterious character named "Hoid" that has minor appearances in each series). My guess is this will result in one epic, culminating, immense book/series to connect them all. There's a lot of theories as to what this might entail but no one really knows.

[/rant]

Basically, read all the books!
“Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.”

Native: :usa:
Pretty okay I guess: :france:
:chap12:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #286 on: June 16, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
Basically, read all the books!
*takes notes* I WILL! As soon as I have Proper Library Access again! Or maybe I can convince one of my parents to buy me one... *schemes quietly*
I absolutely love books, though I haven't really  read enough to be able to suggest some. Anyone know any good fantasy/mystery novels?
As for recommendations, hmmm...
  • Right now I am reading Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, if you like awesome modern fantasy you should read it.
  • The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers~ evil Egyptian sorcerers, a body-switching werewolf, time travel, psychotic clowns (how can you not like psychotic clowns? :P)
  • Anything by Diana Wynne Jones. It is my personal belief that if you have not read Howl's Moving Castle or Dark Lord of Derkholm, you are missing out.  ^-^
  • I think Mélusine mentioned Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? Also a good book. However, I feel like the rest of the series weren't quite as good as the first one.
I am also currently raiding my stepmom's bookshelves to see if I can find any more Pratchett books. So far, no luck. :(
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

smol

• Tumblr
  • I'm too awkward for forums but hi!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #287 on: June 16, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
Wow, that's a lot! I believe I'll definitely check these out should I get the chance. Thank you!
wannabe digital artist/lame writer

Fluent: :usa:
Learning: :japan: (about intermediate! 私と勉強友達が必要です)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
Right now I am reading Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, if you like awesome modern fantasy you should read it.
One of the rare books I re-read every several years <3
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

IKEA

« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »
Finally someone else has heard of Dark Lord of Derkholm :emil:! I love it to death, but am pretty sure it's been out of print for awhile.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
Finally someone else has heard of Dark Lord of Derkholm :emil:! I love it to death, but am pretty sure it's been out of print for awhile.
You've heard of it too?  :reynir:
Hmmm, you're probably right about that~ I'm pretty sure my copy is secondhand. My local library also has one. ^-^ It also has a sequel, which is called Year of the Griffin and isn't nearly as good, though I think it's still worth a read! (If you can find it.)

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
Hmmm, you're probably right about that~ I'm pretty sure my copy is secondhand. My local library also has one. ^-^ It also has a sequel, which is called Year of the Griffin and isn't nearly as good, though I think it's still worth a read! (If you can find it.)
Ooh, I loved both of those! I've only read the Finnish translations, though.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
Ooh, I loved both of those! I've only read the Finnish translations, though.
I can't believe other people have read them! This is awesome! (Normally when I say "Dark Lord of Derkholm" I just get a blank stare.)

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »

I love those books! And anything by Diana Wynne Jones, honestly, her writing is magical. I actually own Year of the Griffin because my library growing up didn't have it, but now I kind of want to own Dark Lord of Derkholm too. Book hoarder problems.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
Waaaaah.  The latest PC Grant novel (Ben Aaronovitch) has been delayed AGAIN. It was supposed to be out this month, and it won't come out until October in the UK and *January* here in the US.

I wonder if I can use my Amazon.co.uk account to buy Kindle editions?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

IKEA

« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
I've read Year of the Griffin (also from my library) and thought it was decent. But yeah, nowhere near the level of the original. My favorite character would have to be Kit.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #296 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »
I didn't even know The Moomins existed until a few months ago, I know it's for children but I've been really enjoying watching the show, and now I'm tempted to read the books at 24 years old especially because I have a LOT of questions about the story, like first of all how come Snufkin doesn't even know Joxter and why wasn't Joxter around to raise Snufkin and what not ?!? I'm judging you Joxter

I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
I didn't even know The Moomins existed until a few months ago, I know it's for children but I've been really enjoying watching the show, and now I'm tempted to read the books at 24 years old especially because I have a LOT of questions about the story, like first of all how come Snufkin doesn't even know Joxter and why wasn't Joxter around to raise Snufkin and what not ?!? I'm judging you Joxter
The books are not at all as clearly aimed at children as the show, especially not the last ones.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:51 AM »
The books are not at all as clearly aimed at children as the show, especially not the last ones.

Yeah, I heard the last book is pretty heavy because it was written after Tove Jansson lost her mother so the whole story is an allegory for her grief apparently. I've also heard that even though it's a bit bleak it actually has some good commentary on grieving, so I think it would definitely be a worthwhile read.

I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »
Juniper, you should definitely read them all! Wonderful books. My kids loved them and so did I.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!