Author Topic: Books!  (Read 122791 times)

Opaque

• Scout
Re: Books!
« Reply #855 on: March 31, 2021, 06:52:38 PM »
Oh right! I did read Warbreaker. I completely forgotten. I should read the other stuff by that author.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #856 on: April 01, 2021, 04:27:06 AM »
A post-apocalyptic tale from a Finnish author, set in Finland (of sorts): Memory of Water by Emmi Itäranta

Btw Opaque hello! If you want, pop by to the Introduction Thread! It’s not mandatory, but it’s nice to “properly” “meet” new people. Also, I want to say we are all nerds here, but of course I have no authority over anyone else or knowledge about how they self-identity. So I’ll settle for Many of us here are nerds!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #857 on: April 01, 2021, 06:22:07 AM »
Another jumping off spot for old pulp magazines is:
https://archive.org/details/Weird_Tales_v20n04_1932-10_sas

There are many old pulps besides weird tales including many I've never heard of !
There are tags included for you to search on.
The Dark worlds quarterly site I listed before has quite a few great articles on various aspects of dark fiction and links to free copies to read.

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #858 on: April 01, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
Ah, I've never been super great at introducing myself but I'll give It a shot.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #859 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »
Don't worry, just say hello and everyone will be happy with it.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #860 on: July 21, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi! Tor books' "Ebook Club" is giving for free, just today July 21, until 23:59 ET, a book by Charlie Jane Anders, "Victories Greater than Death". The link is here.
Yes, you have to sign for the club, but it's free and you will get free books from time to time. I've been part for years and had no problem.
Yes, it's a commercial site and their intention is to promote their books and authors, but you can sign, download and drop it tomorrow if you don't want to get their newsletters.
No, I didn't read it yet, but I've read other works from CJA and they are good.

I'll probably alter this post tomorrow after the offer ends, leaving just the club suggestion.

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

ohnosir

« Reply #861 on: September 08, 2021, 10:17:51 PM »
@Crumpite, I happen to have almost all of the monthly pulp mags of Astounding Science Fiction from 1957! There's a lot of gems in there, right between the crossover from Golden-to-Silver Age sf, including Bradbury, Poul Anderson and Asimov (along with many others I can't recall atm). And so many delicious Kelly Freas illustrations!
My absolute favourite thing about these, though, is a series of essays by Asimov over several mag issues that discuss how different aliens, based off of non-carbon elements (eg silicone-based lifeforms), could evolve and what types of environments and what kind of nutrients, air, "water", etc they would need. Super cool, last I checked they've only otherwise been published in an out-of-print Asimov science collection.
Sadly, being pulp mags, they crumble into dust if you handle them wrong. If I had the money, I'd take them to an archivist!

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2021, 05:19:25 AM »
ohnosir, you have a treasure! Star has a lot of those but most of them I can’t find because they are probably in a box in a shed somewhere.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

ohnosir

« Reply #863 on: October 29, 2021, 02:07:12 AM »
I found these in the basement of a bookshop in Kansas City (Missouri, not KS). Grabbed them all and went upstairs to ask the price. The guy had no idea, he was just like "uhh...15 dollars?"
Best 15 bucks I ever spent, if I can pay to keep them from falling apart..!
PS they also have what is probably the most direct inspiration for the Avatar movie aside from Fern Gully..."Call me Joe" by Poul Anderson

Róisín

« Reply #864 on: October 25, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »
I have recently borrowed, and am finally rereading ‘Spirits In The Wires’ by Charles de Lint. I had a copy but it vanished years ago. De Lint is one of my favourite modern fantasy writers, not least because he is deeply into both music and folklore  and works a lot of both into his writing, as well as some of his own musical compositions, but because he also understands the modern techno world, often better than I do, (not hard, Star is the techie in our family), and he writes believable characters, even the villains. This book explores the connections between the Internet and the various subtle worlds, with an elegant and plausible take on magic. Well worth reading.

Róisín

« Reply #865 on: April 27, 2023, 10:11:34 PM »
Star just told me about a book coming out in October 2023: Patrick Stewart’s autobiography. Published by Simon and Schuster, it is called ‘Making It So’. The reviews are very promising. He wrote it during covid lockdown. I am very curious to read it.

Turnstylus

• Uuuummmm....
« Reply #866 on: April 28, 2023, 05:57:52 PM »
@Róisín, I wanted to say thank you for recommending the Silver Eggheads over in the AI-assisted art thread!

Sometimes when an author makes what critics would call a "self-indulgent" work it can be really hilarious, if one is willing to laugh with the author. So I'm hoping I can make the time to read this one!

And thank you, @JoB , for linking to this review of the Silver Eggheads! This was a fun read in itself!

Róisín

« Reply #867 on: April 29, 2023, 12:04:25 AM »
Fascinating review. Not every book is a work of great and deathless literature, and I liked this one because it is such a playful romp through a genre that often takes itself far too seriously.

Unremarkabillionaire

• Super-Newbie
  • certifiable imbecile
« Reply #868 on: September 08, 2023, 05:53:52 PM »
Today, I finished reading a profoundly bizarre (or bizarrely profound?) book, titled Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy.  It presents itself as a parody of "self-help" books, with the difference being that, unlike its ancestors, its "questions of self-examination" are not contrived to enlighten the reader but to confuse him instead.  The book posits that the mental (or dare I say "spiritual?") condition of humans has degenerated to the point where we are barely aware of our own selves (despite being "aware of ourselves" in an analytical sense); this central idea is illustrated through varying examples, some plausible and others outlandish.

What's most interesting is that Percy offers little to no definite explanation of the solution to the problem, but he instead leaves it to the reader to "work out the problem."  The questions asked throughout the book come after a facet of "the problem" is identified, named, and elucidated - but at the very point where most authors would begin to insert their "solution," Percy asks the solution of you, and leaves it at that!

All that, and I seem only dimly aware of the actual meaning of the book.  It seems to belong to that class of "philosophical" works that I keep on my shelves, like The Republic, which I perennially misunderstand but keep around anyways, in the hope that I will grow to understand them one day.

If that seems interesting to you, I would recommend the book, with the qualification that you will probably not agree with everything written in it (nor are you meant to).  It isn't very long (262 pages of fairly large text, in my edition), and it should not take much reading to tell whether you are the sort of person who would appreciate it.
:]