Author Topic: Books!  (Read 122741 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: Books!
« Reply #615 on: October 01, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
In honor of the season, I've decided it's time to finally read Dracula!

Make sure not to miss Dracula's Guest. It's the original first chapter which was cut before publication and later published as a stand alone short story.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #616 on: October 02, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
Oh yea! You're in for quite a ride, do enjoy. I can recommend another Neil Gaiman, "Sandman: The Dream Hunters". Not part of his main Sandman series despite the title. It's a take on the fox spirit - human interaction from Japanese tales. In this case the fox is the female and the human, a monk, is male. Illustrated by Yoshi-taka Amano. I had to split the first name to get it past auto 4 letter word sensor :o

It was quite a ride indeed! (so much so that i read it in about 4 days ::))

I'll have to check that out, it sounds interesting!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #617 on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
When someone says "Saint-Exupéry" I immediately thought "The Little Prince", but he wrote other things, and oh dear it's beautiful.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #618 on: October 06, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
When someone says "Saint-Exupéry" I immediately thought "The Little Prince", but he wrote other things, and oh dear it's beautiful.

He wrote many, many things!

Fun fact:  Le Petit Prince was mostly written here on Long Island!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #619 on: October 08, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
I'm going to mention, put in a plug for, one of my favorite authors, Julie Czerneda. She has written several dozen SciFi novels that are excellent. And she has a fantasy trilogy going on also. To me her ability to create alien worlds and aliens that are so totally acceptable and believable is her best feature. Her stories and plot lines are pretty good also. "A Thousand Words for Stranger" is a good place to start. But they are all very good. Enjoy

:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #620 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:46 AM »
There's a new John Crowley novel coming out in 2 weeks!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #621 on: October 13, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
There's a new John Crowley novel coming out in 2 weeks!

*Instantly runs to join the queue outside John Crowley's publisher*

I was not a huge fan of his Aegypt series -- a little too long and diffuse for me -- but I adored "Little, Big" and think his short stories are wonderful.  So full of nostalgia and melancholy.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #622 on: October 14, 2017, 05:14:14 AM »
I finished reading "The Tale of a Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki. I can't say that I read the book in one breath, but I enjoyed every moment of reading, stretching it in time (time is one of the important story lines). And in the epilogue it reminded me very much "As Simple as Snow" by Gregory Galloway - one of my favorite books ever.
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #623 on: October 14, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
This may not be a nice cultured, fiction novel that set the genre, but I've been reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. It is a non-fiction novel about the life of Henrietta Lacks and the immortal cell line which has become a bedrock for the medical advances since WWII. The novel raises important questions about class and race ethics in science and medicine.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #624 on: October 14, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
Oh yea! You're in for quite a ride, do enjoy. I can recommend another Neil Gaiman, "Sandman: The Dream Hunters". Not part of his main Sandman series despite the title. It's a take on the fox spirit - human interaction from Japanese tales. In this case the fox is the female and the human, a monk, is male. Illustrated by Yoshi-taka Amano. I had to split the first name to get it past auto 4 letter word sensor :o

I'm assuming its some sort of spinoff?  I'll have to check it out at some point, I'm really enjoying the main series.
Speaking of Sandman spinoffs, Death: The High Cost of Living is also really good and can be read by itself if youd like.  There are a few shoutouts to things from the main series but with the obvious exception of everyone's favorite perky goth none of the characters show up
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #625 on: October 14, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
I'm assuming its some sort of spinoff?  I'll have to check it out at some point, I'm really enjoying the main series.
Speaking of Sandman spinoffs, Death: The High Cost of Living is also really good and can be read by itself if youd like.  There are a few shoutouts to things from the main series but with the obvious exception of everyone's favorite perky goth none of the characters show up

Yes, that's a great one! (the sequel "The Time of your Life" sadly isn't as good)

A movie version has been in development hell for years, which is perhaps a good thing.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #626 on: October 14, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure it's a spinoff per se, just more inspired Gaiman, "Weird is what Gaiman does best", As Luth noted. I've also been reading the Kamisama Kiss manga another fox spirit human interaction. But in the style of most manga a bit much over done. Gaiman's is much more sparse and and pointed.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #627 on: October 15, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »
Finished Dracula. Nothing particularly unexpected, but I'm making this book the bare minimum standard that I expect modern-day writers to live up to when it comes to the treatment of the female characters. Dated or not, if a nineteenth-century Victorian horror novel manages to 1) have better female-female friendships than your "progressive feminist" story, and 2) gives its Designated Victim a more active role in the plot than your "strong female character", you are doing it wrong and need to go back to Writing Female Characters 101.

(...I might've read a few Really Bad Things lately. My bar is kinda low right now.)

Now, on to working my way through The Turn of the Screw!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #628 on: October 15, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
The Turn of the Screw is hard work, but well worth the trouble. You might be amused by the work of Brian O'Nolan/Flann O'Brien, both his novels and the satirical essays he wrote as Myles na gCopaleen. Funny and touching in parts, weirdly philosophical, and full of amazing words and interesting use of language. Oh, and Keats and Shelley jokes.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #629 on: October 15, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
I have a terrible habit of confusing Henry James (Turn of the Screw) with M. R. James (A whole mess of really creepy ghost stories). Had led to some very confusing conversations!