Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 74234 times)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2022, 12:02:16 PM »
Just came across another interesting comic: King of Hearts by B00NAFIDE. It's a ghost story about a young woman who follows a ghost kid into a swanky ghost boardwalk for ghosts. Honestly, I liked the main character enough that I'd be reading even if it were a slice-of-life about the protagonist and her friend working at a café, but it's not! It has ghosts! Did I mention the ghosts? Ghosts! The artwork is slightly rough toward the beginning of chapter 1 but overall it's very good, with vibrant colors, dynamic posing, and expressive faces.

Downside is it doesn't have its own site (yet?) so you have to read it on Deviantart. Also, it's currently on hiatus while B00NAFIDE figures out what she wants to do with chapter 5. And I guess if you find anthropomorphic characters off-putting, you'll want to pass.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #361 on: August 07, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »
In the time spent doing almost everything else except coming here, I ran across an educational and funny comic about one of the possible meanings of the "A" in "LGBTQIA+". Thought some people might be interested.

Aces Wild (first page)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 11:12:29 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #362 on: August 08, 2022, 06:34:11 AM »
Saw this one in WebToon's listing while having a look at AW, seems to be SSSSish in topic: Fox Fires.
(Unless you really, really can't stand looking at Mommy Bear any longer, I suppose. :3 )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #363 on: August 08, 2022, 08:31:06 AM »
There are a *lot* of comics on this site...

Is worth looking closer at them.

Thanks Job and Grade E cat.

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2022, 07:35:33 AM »

I've been running across this comic and loving it for months, but only recently discovered that the entire thing is on Webtoon (including some bonus panels that won't necessarily be elsewhere!):
Duncan and Eddie
It's a super cute comic about two boyfriends and their life. Decent amount of fluff, but I'd categorise it as optimistic slice of life instead, because it does handle some of the tougher things about being not straight/cis.
Am notified of private messages via email.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
That one is fun, Lenny!

-- thanks, all, for posting. I haven't always replied here, but have checked a number of the suggestions with enjoyment.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2022, 10:15:08 PM »
Sadly, looks like Meg Syverud got fired from her animation job, but the silver lining is that she's free to start working on Daughter of the Lilies again. The hiatus isn't over yet, but she will be posting a page on the 22nd (presumably of this month) before working on getting her Patreon in order and moving the Extras somewhere other than Deviantart.

Speaking of which: In other bad news, Deviantart seems to be trying to immolate itself on the altar of techbro capitalism, so B00NAFIDE is looking into dedicated comic hosting for King of Hearts. (Which is still on hiatus, but she's working on a small animated short project that seems to be going along well.) Other artists I follow on dA have comics already on Webtoon, such as KingdomBlade's slice-of-life sitcom Lesser than Three and AI90's upcoming "Good friends punch each other until one of them passes out because sports" comic Last One Standing, which debuts on Christmas. Yes, I'm aware that all three of these comics star anthropomorphic critter-people. I'm not a furry, you're a furry.

In other update news, most of which won't be news to those of you following the Comic of the Month thread: Phantomarine is back from hiatus. Vainglorius has been back for a couple months but is now on a hopefully-brief break while the artist recovers from illness. Shaderunners was on a hiatus while the artist recovered from a hand/wrist injury but has resumed updating again. And even the famously on-hiatus Blindsprings is poised to start updating again in 2023. No MAiZ news, sadly.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »
Thank you for the update re Daughter of the Lilies.  I had removed it from my bookmarks, expecting to check back next October.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2023, 04:05:52 PM »
So I was debating whether I'd keep this for a comic of the month post, but then realised there's no way I could coordinate stuff for myself to actually post it on time, and I just want to share it right now, anyway:

Trailer Park Warlock

I've been reading it since it started, and it recently finished up! So if anyone is in the mood for a binge read, it comes highly recommended.

Fun characters, insane plot, cute couples... honestly, the plot format is similar to Gravity Falls now that I think about it. Starts out day to day adventure style, with some epic plot arcs as it goes on. Ending is chaotic fun, feels like it wraps everything up full circle and gives satisfactory conclusions for all the characters.

There's not much I can think of to warn about - its main publishing platform being Webtoons means it's pretty PG in portrayal, even though themes get a bit deep. Has some romance but it's not the focus, just part of life. Ah, one thing - it does play off into some conspiracy theories and mirrors some things like radio shows etc. that might be triggering. It's pretty good at avoiding the anti-Semitic ones and creating its own that feel less icky since the universe is one where magic and gods just... are, but it's good to be aware of that before going in. AFAIK it stays pretty respectful - part of the whole reason for it being there in the first place is, well, in the title. With my very limited experience in the US South and knowing the artist grew up in Louisiana, I'm pretty confident in saying the comic draws heavily on personal experience.

Other than that I could see the plot being a bit too convoluted for some people to enjoy at parts. Give it a shot, but no shame if it's not for you.

It's a fun read, the cast and world feel very alive, and while it was running it was something I looked forward to every week, so I'm hoping at least some of you will find it's up your alley!
Am notified of private messages via email.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2023, 08:54:00 PM »
So I just pitched MAiZ as Comic of the Month. It's a story about mostly anthro characters but one of them is human and others are, to put it mildly, weirded out by that.

Lo and behold, I just ran across Tamberlane, a story about mostly anthro characters but one of them is human and other are weirded out by that. As of now I've only made it through chapter 1, but so far it's very sweet.

Is 2 too soon to say I have a type? Anyway it probably qualifies for "I'd have two nickels...weird that it happened twice." (Am I technically breaking my "don't reference Disney" policy? Oh well, it's in the lexicon now, like how rickrolling isn't a 4chan thing anymore.)

Trailer Park Warlock is also high on my to-read list, though I've only read the first page so far. Kind of gives me a similar vibe to the early chapters of The Sword Interval.

[Edited because I definitely know how BBCode end tags work.]

Edit 2:
Spoiler: show
This is also not my furst adorable furry dystopia. "Furst" was a typo but I'm keeping it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:23:43 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

dmeck7755

« Reply #370 on: July 07, 2023, 08:37:16 AM »
So I just pitched MAiZ as Comic of the Month. It's a story about mostly anthro characters but one of them is human and others are, to put it mildly, weirded out by that.

Lo and behold, I just ran across Tamberlane, a story about mostly anthro characters but one of them is human and other are weirded out by that. As of now I've only made it through chapter 1, but so far it's very sweet.

Tamberlane definitely looks interesting :)

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2023, 08:42:28 PM »
Good news: Tamberlane resumes updates next week!

Bad news: King Of Hearts is now officially shelved. It may or may not see daylight in some form other than a long-form graphic novel/Webcomic, and B00N is still planning on making comics and repurposing the KoH characters for other projects (which may or may not include the aforementioned comics). I hate when this happens but it's better that she not beat herself up over not being able to Sundberg her way through it. :')

Wait, I'm still sad. Let's see...More good news... Oh! Slice of life (and furry, sue me) comic Lesser than Three is on Webtoon. I'm following it via RSS on Tumblr but I don't think there's an easy way to find page 1 there unless you start at the beginning of the tag and skip through the early (and kinda rough IMHO) concept art. But it's something. This one contains no humans for everyone to be weirded out by, though in the current arc, boba (the chewy beverage, not the Star War man) creates a similar level of awkwardity. It's also on Tapas if you're into that, but it seems to be a ways behind. Last post was recent but it's a years-old page.
- Simcha Fisher

noonnoommoon

« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2023, 10:12:13 PM »
Some webcomics I would recommend are Emmy the Robot https://m.webtoons.com/en/canvas/emmy-the-robot/list?title_no=402201]
And NEXT!Sound of the Futurehttps://ricedeity.neocities.org/nsotf although neither of them are finished lol
Wow this fandom is Old

dmeck7755

« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2023, 03:59:34 PM »
if you are looking for a furry slice of life, there is https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/litterbox-comics/list?title_no=196742

I find this one hilarious!!

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2023, 06:32:28 PM »
Hey, Litterbox! I used to read that and then the RSS stopped updating or something. Are they Webtoon exclusive now?

And Emmy the Robot looks fun. Will check that out.
- Simcha Fisher