Author Topic: Books!  (Read 120494 times)

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
Books!
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
This is a thread for sharing books.
When sharing new books, please state:
Title
Author
Genre (Take a guess if you don't know)
Description
Whatever other stuff you want to add

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: Books!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
Waaah, a book thread!<3 Actually, I was wondering if I should start one up, but now I don't have to :D

Could we make it a request thread, too? Like we had in the General Discussion thread - someone asked for good lycanthropy books/stories and we all gave suggestions. It'd be fun.

As for books... currently, I'm reading Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski. From The Witcher series (fantasy, of course). I'm being really idiotic and reading one of the later books first, but that's because none of the other books have arrived at the library yet and I'm too excited not to start reading, haha. So far it hasn't disappointed, not at all!

And the book I was reading before that is my absolute favourite book, Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones. Fantasy, and one of her very very very few adult books. Though, the "adult" about it is mostly light swearing, people dying in a matter of fact manner, and references to sexual things - never acts. So it's pretty safe to read for most. Involves multiple universes, the caretakers of history, romance of a sort (but real, not sickly sweet horrible stuff), typical Diana wackiness, and it's just plain good. From first person perspective, but with various narrators. It's my favourite book for a reason, haha.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Sharion

• Scout
  • Proud lunatic and Meanister of Word-Spinning
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
As for books... currently, I'm reading Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski. From The Witcher series (fantasy, of course).
I've only read the first book (yet). Not long after that, I run into the TV series... Both of them are funny and likeable, without any Hollywood glitter. :)

someone asked for good lycanthropy books
It matters what one is looking for. :)

For horror, there is Silver Bullets from King (Or was it Cycle of the Werewolf?). It's not that big of a story (started out as a calendar...), but almost a classic.
Glen Duncan's The Last Werewolf is more "modern": contains gore and... other adult material, so strictly 18+.

For more romantic people, there's Anne Rice's Wolf Gift. The story's about a young fool... er... journalist. Not her best work, but way better than her last two books. Those who like her style will like it, but if it's one's first time to read anything from her, better start with the Mayfair series. (Which is about witches. Mostly.)

I guess the WoD Werewolf series is something that role players will value. (I only read a few pieces of the series, though.)

Pelevin's  Sacred History of the Werewolf is a work of literature, meaning it's a tricky read (and has a fox spirit as main character. but werewolves make their appearance).

These were the ones suddenly coming to my mind. (Sorry to post it here: I don't read the General Discussions thread, so I don't want to randomly butt in.)

Also, as a source of great book titles (although, they are from the post-apocalyptic genre), I could recommend this thread.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:23:22 PM by Sharion »
Survived so far:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8: :chap9:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:28 PM »
I feel that I must recommend the Mortal Engines Tetralogy by Philip Reeve. Steampunk/Dystopian, one of the book series I've read so far. Be warned though; these are not happy books.

Fenris

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »
Currently re-re-reading the Belgarion & Mallorean series by David and Leigh Eddings. Its a fantasy series, and if you want groundbreaking innovation in plot or the subversion of fantasy tropes, these aren't really the books for you. What makes them fun is the characters, characterization and the often witty dialogue more than the plot itself (which still has some interesting twists and turns).

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:38:25 AM »
Currently re-re-reading the Belgarion & Mallorean series by David and Leigh Eddings. Its a fantasy series, and if you want groundbreaking innovation in plot or the subversion of fantasy tropes, these aren't really the books for you. What makes them fun is the characters, characterization and the often witty dialogue more than the plot itself (which still has some interesting twists and turns).

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU??

Good books come and go but Belgariad is forever. Thanks so much for mentioning them <3

They are the reason I got interested in books and fantasy genre and most things I do in my free time in general!

Those books are so cliche, but there is just SOMETHING about them that I like. I guess the dialogue and characters?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:47:19 AM by noako »

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:33:14 AM »
Hey Lenny!

So, I've only read the first Howl in high school and I loved it so much. My friend never lent me the other books :(
I loved how the world worked and type of fantasy it was and and and...!
Howl is seriously the best X'D and Sophie and Michael and the STORY and Calcifer and Wales! Hehehe
I saw the film much later after reading it, and even though it was totally different I still loved it how it was. It was fantastic! But a straight book-to-film-adaption would also be equally fantastic. I think I would explode from three awesome renditions of the book floating around 8D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:34 AM »
I knooooow!<3 He's one of my most favourite protagonists ever, in any series. I always love the selfish ones that overcome the selfishness XD And seriously, Howl with a cold is the FUNNIEST thing ever >:D And just..... aaargh, you NEED to read her other books<3 Wackiness is her speciality. D'you have a library card?

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 04:16:58 AM »
I knooooow!<3 He's one of my most favourite protagonists ever, in any series. I always love the selfish ones that overcome the selfishness XD And seriously, Howl with a cold is the FUNNIEST thing ever >:D And just..... aaargh, you NEED to read her other books<3 Wackiness is her speciality. D'you have a library card?
I do...I think...from the 00's ;___; it's still valid right??

Howl is so fantastic X'D I just....I just.... And drunk Howl "I'm clone sold stober!" I think it was....was it? :0 and the Witch of the Waste was pretty creepy......poor whatshisname...S... Somethingson? I can't remember ;___; that makes me so sad! It's right on the tip of my tongue!!

SULLIVAN! Is that his name? Poor guy :(

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:32:41 AM »
I do...I think...from the 00's ;___; it's still valid right??

Howl is so fantastic X'D I just....I just.... And drunk Howl "I'm clone sold stober!" I think it was....was it? :0 and the Witch of the Waste was pretty creepy......poor whatshisname...S... Somethingson? I can't remember ;___; that makes me so sad! It's right on the tip of my tongue!!

SULLIVAN! Is that his name? Poor guy :(

WIZARD SULIMAN! :D

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »
WIZARD SULIMAN! :D

OH YEAH!! I remember being really sad about him :( and drawing a skull with his name under it in a school book :P

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 04:47:01 AM »
So, I've only read the first Howl in high school and I loved it so much.

Wait, there are others?! I have Howl's Moving Castle (and reread every now and then), but somehow I never thought of looking up more of the author's books.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
Both of you are right, it's Suliman AND Sullivan. In Wales he was known as Ben Sullivan, after all XD

There are three Howl books! Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways. I love them aaaaaall, but probably House of Many Ways best, because of reasons.

YES IT'S STILL VALID. GO USE IT. Like I said, the state library has almost ALL of her books!<3 GO go go!<3 If you know your phone number and the library card number, log in online on the TALIS/LINC site, and place a hold on the Howl books and the Chrestomanci books. Start with those, they're really good. Then do the Dark Lord of Derkholm books. There are only two, but if you've read a lot of fantasy (especially Tolkien ripoffs), you'll appreciate them.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot - if you haven't used it since before you turned 18, you might have to go into the library itself and get them to fix your card for you. Things like fines change once you're 18, so they force that on you XD I think you'll be able to place holds, but not sure about actually taking anything out.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:05:34 AM by Lenny »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 06:13:39 AM »
Both of you are right, it's Suliman AND Sullivan. In Wales he was known as Ben Sullivan, after all XD

There are three Howl books! Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and House of Many Ways. I love them aaaaaall, but probably House of Many Ways best, because of reasons.

YES IT'S STILL VALID. GO USE IT. Like I said, the state library has almost ALL of her books!<3 GO go go!<3 If you know your phone number and the library card number, log in online on the TALIS/LINC site, and place a hold on the Howl books and the Chrestomanci books. Start with those, they're really good. Then do the Dark Lord of Derkholm books. There are only two, but if you've read a lot of fantasy (especially Tolkien ripoffs), you'll appreciate them.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot - if you haven't used it since before you turned 18, you might have to go into the library itself and get them to fix your card for you. Things like fines change once you're 18, so they force that on you XD I think you'll be able to place holds, but not sure about actually taking anything out.

Ohhhhhh....hmmm ok. The city library is just a block away from where I hang out, so maybe I'll go in there...I went in there once, and freaked out because the layout was scary and ran away ;___; (I got list in a woolworths city store on Tuesday too ;__; the trauma...the trauma...there were moving stairs...and no baskets...)

I think that I heard my all-time favorite author (Jonathan Stroud) mention Diana as his major inspiration for how to world-build in the fantasy genre... And he was so right, her books are awesome!
Heh, I can see Howl 1's pretty purple and green spine peeking out from behind a jumper....I think it knows I'm talking about it XD

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:28:58 AM »
She was Neil Gaiman's sort of mentor, too. They were good friends. She actually based some of Nick's characteristics (from Deep Secret) on Neil's habits XD And wrote Hexwood based on something he wrote, and dedicated it to him. (And Neil Gaiman in his turn is pretty close with Terry Pratchett! All my favourite authors know each other in some way, yay!)

Oh oh oh before she died, she and her editor put together a book full of essays and articles that she wrote. It's a treasure trove for writers and writers-to-be<3 Reflections on the Magic of Writing is what it's called. Reeeally good.

Give yourself a good block of time, and figure out that library. Go as slow as you need to ;) Libraries are too good to be scared of<3 And no one minds if you ignore every one else. It's an introvert's place, after all.

Oooh, have you named a lizard after Howl? :D