Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136871 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Improvements
« Reply #540 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
The Forum FAQ are now live in the help section!

I am a tiny bit excited because it's the first time I've ever coded something onto the forum

Edit: I know the links from the FAQ to other places on the forum don't work, I'm working on it
Aaaaaaaaand urls are fixed \o/

This is awesome! And it'll be a lot of help for newbies. Thanks Vi!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Adriano

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • We are not in America
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
Thank you for all those improvs guys :D
Born to be Infected !
'Sometimes life is like getting clogged with a clog' - Wolfie.

:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:
Native : :france:
Fluent : :uk:
Knowing a bit : :germany: :portugal:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #542 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
Hi-o! I was set here fro the art thread, just wanted to put in my petition to have the maximum pixel limit increased to 800 for any images posted here, with my case being that may small details on larger pieces are lost and lose their dramatic impact on an image that is far smaller than its original design. Thanks!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #543 on: January 07, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
Hi-o! I was set here fro the art thread, just wanted to put in my petition to have the maximum pixel limit increased to 800 for any images posted here, with my case being that may small details on larger pieces are lost and lose their dramatic impact on an image that is far smaller than its original design. Thanks!

I can raise it to 800px.

Making it much larger than that tends to crash people's computers (for those who have older computers), and it tends to display only a small corner of the picture on phones unless you scroll all around. You can still see the picture in full size on computer if you click on it after you've posted it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #544 on: January 18, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
We got a new childboard. You can now share your oppinions on rules with us, pull requests or suggest changes.

Come and look!

Best thing, this board will let you post under cover, but please read the rules before posting your ideas and thoughts.

:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #545 on: January 23, 2016, 03:26:17 AM »
I was wondering if it should be possible to leave a placeholder post, when threads get separated and some of the comments move to the new thread.
Something along the lines of. "Posts have been moved to thread 'xy'" with a link to the thread/post in the thread?
Just to make the remaining conversation in the original thread less confusing?
Also, maybe a notice to the writers of the post(s) so they don't think it became deleted, if they haven't dropped in for some time?
Just some ideas. My apologies if this already is in place!

I also wanted to commend you on making the new child board :)
It might become useful at one point and surely increases the general feeling of security on the forum.
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #546 on: January 23, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »
I was wondering if it should be possible to leave a placeholder post, when threads get separated and some of the comments move to the new thread.
Something along the lines of. "Posts have been moved to thread 'xy'" with a link to the thread/post in the thread?
Just to make the remaining conversation in the original thread less confusing?
Also, maybe a notice to the writers of the post(s) so they don't think it became deleted, if they haven't dropped in for some time?
Just some ideas. My apologies if this already is in place!

I also wanted to commend you on making the new child board :)
It might become useful at one point and surely increases the general feeling of security on the forum.

We usually let people know before threads are changed, such as leaving a note for permission from those partipating in the thread to change it and explaining how we are going to change it.

We can also totally do what you suggested. I know it happens sometimes, but not uniformly, and we can get better at that :)

I'm glad you like the new child board!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

IKEA

« Reply #547 on: February 21, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
I think that there should be an option to switch to the desktop version of the site when on mobile. The mobile version works great, you guys have done a really nice job with it, but I sometimes like to see members' postcounts, ranks etc. without having to go to each individual profile. (Or, ya know, I could just get on my laptop... :))
Also, it would be nice if there was some sort of mouseover text for the  buttons in the "post reply" box. As handy as the little icons are, they're not always clear. (For instance, the red brackets with the cursor).

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
Also, it would be nice if there was some sort of mouseover text for the  buttons in the "post reply" box. As handy as the little icons are, they're not always clear. (For instance, the red brackets with the cursor).

The buttons do have mouseover text

(the cellphone theme is Eriaror's so I'll let him address that part)

IKEA

« Reply #549 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
The buttons do have mouseover text
Oh yeah I see it now. Thanks!

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #550 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
I think that there should be an option to switch to the desktop version of the site when on mobile. The mobile version works great, you guys have done a really nice job with it, but I sometimes like to see members' post counts, ranks etc. without having to go to each individual profile. (Or, ya know, I could just get on my laptop... :))

Spoiler: Unnecessary rant • show
I'd like to avoid having to do a "Switch to desktop version" button at almost all costs, because
a) we can't easily do it. The SMF mod we use to give responsiveness to the site relies on CSS to decide which layout to use based on the width of the display, not some kind of mobile-desktop-browser-detection-stuff dark magic that was usual before this could be solved with CSS. So we'd have to find a way around all this to make such button work. And, more importantly:
b) it'd be a step in the completely wrong direction. The world of making webpages is going more and more mobile first and mind the desktop version only after the mobile one is done. So that's what I am intending to do as well, because I find it more sensible, too.
So all in all I happily take the blame if someone says the mobile version is bad / lacks stuff / etc. and try my best to resolve it, but the solution for me is improving the mobile version, not going back to the hell that is pinch-zoom-in-out-scroll-scroll-scroll-browsing the desktop version on a tiny screen.

In this particular case, I'll put making a "Show all info" button for the userinfo part of topic displays on mobile onto the TODO list. ;)

And to everyone: For the mobile version, suggestions are even more welcome! I, personally, use that one far less, so I have less chance spotting stuff to improve there.
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #551 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
And to everyone: For the mobile version, suggestions are even more welcome! I, personally, use that one far less, so I have less chance spotting stuff to improve there.

*raises paw*
Personally I've never really understood the intended function of the next/previous topic buttons, I assume they're useful to someone since they exist, but at least on mobile it would be really handy if there could be next/previous page buttons of a similar size. Zooming in to hit that teeny tiny page number link gets old.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #552 on: February 27, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »
This may or may not be doable, but I was wondering if the little '…' you click to show more page navigation choices could be turned into, like a page-range (1-10, 1-30, 1-50, 1-100 or the like) drop down menu on the bigger threads/boards for easier navigation when you want to get to, for example, page 500 of 1000?

Sorry if this opens a huge can of worms for you.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #553 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:45 AM »
Some little things:
  • Did some basic styling for the poster section of forum posts.
  • Due to popular demand, added a cry-laugh smiley: :'D
    Code is :'D

Previous-next page buttons: I'll look around! ;)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »
Personally I've never really understood the intended function of the next/previous topic buttons, I assume they're useful to someone since they exist, but at least on mobile it would be really handy if there could be next/previous page buttons of a similar size. Zooming in to hit that teeny tiny page number link gets old.

I was wondering if the little '…' you click to show more page navigation choices could be turned into, like a page-range (1-10, 1-30, 1-50, 1-100 or the like) drop down menu on the bigger threads/boards for easier navigation when you want to get to, for example, page 500 of 1000?

Sorry if this opens a huge can of worms for you.

Speaking just for myself and not as an Admin, I'd love to see both of these.  We are getting to the point where some of our more popular threads have very large page counts.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: