Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136856 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Improvements
« Reply #525 on: November 17, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »
Small but useful thing:
Instead of just a [1], there is now a fancy and a lot more noticeable little bubble displaying your unread PM count in the main menu, which also works on mobile!

YAAAAAAAY! This is so useful on mobile :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #526 on: November 17, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Small but useful thing:
Instead of just a [1], there is now a fancy and a lot more noticeable little bubble displaying your unread PM count in the main menu, which also works on mobile!
I saw it and found it better, thank :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #527 on: November 17, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
that is indeed better! thank you!!

may I be so bold as to request two tiny improvements?
1- adding the possibility to indicate why a comment was edited (so it would read "last edited DateTime: Reason" instead of "last edited DateTime" actually I thought the forum told us when messages had been edited, but apparently not so forget that.
2- in the Voting Links page, making it so that clicking outside of the vote-reward pic also closes it, and not only the little cross in the top-right corner ('s just ergonomics really)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #528 on: November 17, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
that is indeed better! thank you!!

may I be so bold as to request two tiny improvements?
1- adding the possibility to indicate why a comment was edited (so it would read "last edited DateTime: Reason" instead of "last edited DateTime" actually I thought the forum told us when messages had been edited, but apparently not so forget that.

The forum does say when you edit your message last. If I went into your post and said something there it would say something like « Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:20:06 PM by Feartheviolas »
example: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=16.msg78515#msg78515

The only reason it wouldn't say that is if you edit within (if I remember correctly) 90 or so seconds of posting because of a buffer setting somewhere in the deep labyrinth of the forum settings that allows you to change without time stamping it for some strange reason. I think it has to do with the fact that we can actually disallow post edits all together.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a reason thing. Can you elaborate? (Edit: Hee look there is the edit thing down there)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:16:18 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #529 on: November 17, 2015, 06:27:02 PM »
Small but useful thing:

Looks great, Eri!
(I wish someone would PM me so I can see it in action...)

Thanks to everyone who participated in the live testing -- I am highly gratified and can report that Eri's feature works perfectly.  It erases my one source of dissatisfaction with the mobile site -- it didn't indicate whether you had PMs.

Thanks to our Ilmarinen!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:20:16 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #530 on: November 18, 2015, 04:38:38 AM »
The only reason it wouldn't say that is if you edit within (if I remember correctly) 90 or so seconds of posting because of a buffer setting somewhere in the deep labyrinth of the forum settings that allows you to change without time stamping it for some strange reason. I think it has to do with the fact that we can actually disallow post edits all together.

aaah that's why when I checked with the last think I knew was edited it didn't appear!

I meant I'd like the possibility to have the "last edit line say"
« Last Edit: Today at 00:00:0 AM by P__ : I edited because the links were wrong»
it's easily indicated by hand within the post, though, so it's not all that important
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
Labeling Sent PMs
« Reply #531 on: November 20, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
Hello, fellow admins, mods, and various forum-deities.

I was organizing my large stash of PMs this evening and realized this Forum lacks a function: 

It lets us label *received* PMs into folders of choice.  (See screenshot.)  However, I can't label *sent* messages; the yellow-circled menu doesn't appear when I look at my Sent PMs.  This is especially problematic for me because I like to organize my PMs by threads, rather than as individual messages (in which case I'd have 3-4 times as many).  So any conversations where I was the last to reply count as "sent" messages that I therefore can't label, regardless of who started the conversation. 

Is it possible to update the Forum software so that *sent* PMs can be organized by label just like *received* ones?  Or maybe it's already possible and I just didn't realize it?

Yours for better informatics,

Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #532 on: November 21, 2015, 12:18:40 AM »
Hello, fellow admins, mods, and various forum-deities.

I was organizing my large stash of PMs this evening and realized this Forum lacks a function: 

It lets us label *received* PMs into folders of choice.  (See screenshot.)  However, I can't label *sent* messages; the yellow-circled menu doesn't appear when I look at my Sent PMs.  This is especially problematic for me because I like to organize my PMs by threads, rather than as individual messages (in which case I'd have 3-4 times as many).  So any conversations where I was the last to reply count as "sent" messages that I therefore can't label, regardless of who started the conversation. 

Is it possible to update the Forum software so that *sent* PMs can be organized by label just like *received* ones?  Or maybe it's already possible and I just didn't realize it?

Yours for better informatics,

Sunflower

Poking around under the hood I've figured out how to change the subjects of PMs. I've also figured out how to recover PMs that you've sent given that the receiver hasn't deleted them. However, I don't know how to make this feature accessible without going in the back way.

As for categories, the way the forum stores the categories is strange. It stores them as recipient's labels in the PM recipient table. Because you are not receiving the PMs, the forum doesn't consider you as able to create a label for it. It only stores the label data with messages you get from someone else. Does that make any sense? I hope that makes sense.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #533 on: November 21, 2015, 01:27:03 AM »
Poking around under the hood I've figured out how to change the subjects of PMs. I've also figured out how to recover PMs that you've sent given that the receiver hasn't deleted them. However, I don't know how to make this feature accessible without going in the back way.

As for categories, the way the forum stores the categories is strange. It stores them as recipient's labels in the PM recipient table. Because you are not receiving the PMs, the forum doesn't consider you as able to create a label for it. It only stores the label data with messages you get from someone else. Does that make any sense? I hope that makes sense.

It absolutely makes sense, and thanks! 

That is, *your explanation* makes sense.  I think it's stupid of Simple Machines Forum to not allow the labeling of sent messages, but they didn't ask me...

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #534 on: November 22, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »
Continuing with small things~:
  • Fixed the night mode background on mobile, now it's nice and black-ish, just as on desktop.
  • Redone the stars (the little squares) of staff members. SMF doesn't let you specify the star by one usergroup and the star count by another, so admins having 5 or 6 stars didn't really mean anything anyway. Now, we have one star with a label:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:54:59 PM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #535 on: November 22, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

Wouldn't want anyone to question their authoritah  8)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #536 on: November 22, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »
Wouldn't want anyone to question their authoritah  8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #537 on: November 22, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
Continuing with small things~:
  • Fixed the night mode background on mobile, now it's nice and black-ish, just as on desktop.
  • Redone the stars (the little squares) of staff members. SMF doesn't let you specify the star by one usergroup and the star count by another, so admins having 5 or 6 stars didn't really mean anything anyway. Now, we have one star with a label:

This is great!  Thanks for getting rid of those excess squares, Eriaror. 

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
So I have been playing around with the forum's dark theme, the one accessed by the little moon in the upper right corner.
I though it might be nice to use some SSSS specific art, and I thought that the art from page 158.
http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=158
I would leave the composition up to the person who implements it, but use it as the main background image like the bridge shot on the main theme, and something else to replace the cast up in the upper right corner?
As it is scout mode then maybe panel 2 or three from 391
http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=391
(Not sure how to count the flashback transition panel.)
Very low priority thing but I thought I would suggest it.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #539 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
The Forum FAQ are now live in the help section!

I am a tiny bit excited because it's the first time I've ever coded something onto the forum

Edit: I know the links from the FAQ to other places on the forum don't work, I'm working on it
Aaaaaaaaand urls are fixed \o/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:28:10 PM by Feartheviolas »