Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136881 times)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Improvements
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
Oooooooooooh I just saw the folders change to the SSSS symbol.  :D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »
Oooooooooooh I just saw the folders change to the SSSS symbol.  :D

I love the stars! 
I didn't see them till I hit "Refresh" on my browser (Chrome on a 2007 Mac).  By then, I had read all the new posts.  So when there are unread posts in a given folder, will the stars be a different color?  (Before, blue folder icons = unread posts.)

FWIW, I'm not seeing my text in different shades of gray/black -- it's the same as it was before.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »
The unread ones are red!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2014, 01:11:40 AM »
The unread ones are red!

Ah yes!  Thanks to your comment, I could see it happen.  Once again, I had to hit "Refresh."

Very nifty!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:25 AM »
Fimbulvarg, do you remember making them a specific size?

Yes siree, I remember making them about the same size as the former icons. I can see now that they might need to be scaled down a bit.

By then, I had read all the new posts.  So when there are unread posts in a given folder, will the stars be a different color?  (Before, blue folder icons = unread posts.)

We have a set of gray stars equivalent to the grey folder icon.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
They are showing for me too! Wohooooo.
Looking good!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
Yes siree, I remember making them about the same size as the former icons. I can see now that they might need to be scaled down a bit.

We have a set of gray stars equivalent to the grey folder icon.
Only a little.  The main thing is that there're still two folders on the front page, under the boards.  One says "No new posts," the other, "New posts." 
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »
Only a little.  The main thing is that there're still two folders on the front page, under the boards.  One says "No new posts," the other, "New posts."

Hmm yeah. Let's ... *looks at crammed calendar* ... Let's schedule an update in December, yeah?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
Hmm yeah. Let's ... *looks at crammed calendar* ... Let's schedule an update in December, yeah?
Sounds good to me.  Took me a while to put the first ones up anyway, haha.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »
Is there a way to split existing threads?  That is, pull out a particular segment of a long conversation that focuses on a particular theme into its own thread, for easier reference?  Or is it possible to index a really big thread? 

As for why we'd want to:  The General Discussion thread has covered a lot of ground, from amiable chat to Serious Business.  A few times, it's budded off topics into their own thread (like the Introduction Board, where some readers have pasted in their excellent responses from the original GD thread).  But they still had to manually copy-and-paste or recreate their intros.

I was thinking, what if we could just slice off a chunk of the GD thread into its own ready-made topic?  Retaining everyone's forum IDs, links, quote levels, etc.?  That way, future readers could more directly find the stuff that interests them, rather than delving through all 2,500 (or whatever) responses.

Just an idea.  If it's either not doable or doesn't seem of interest, I'm fine with that.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »
It's already been done at least once!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
It's doable. 

I was going to do that for a weird dream talk thread, but forgot.  The GD is really good for coming up with thread ideas so, if it comes up again I'll be sure to try it out.  As it is now, I'm not sure if it would break the middle of a conversation or not.  :P  I think Noako's moved a couple posts into new topics before, so there's at least one person who might be able to help with more specific questions.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2014, 11:24:29 PM »
It's doable. 

I was going to do that for a weird dream talk thread, but forgot.  The GD is really good for coming up with thread ideas so, if it comes up again I'll be sure to try it out.  As it is now, I'm not sure if it would break the middle of a conversation or not.  :P  I think Noako's moved a couple posts into new topics before, so there's at least one person who might be able to help with more specific questions.

Sounds good to me!  As time permits, I'll reread the GD for any topics that pop out at me.
(Meanwhile, I have to help my dad set up some Excel spreadsheets for a real estate project of his.   :P  He's a brilliant, stubborn, cranky, introverted 75-year-old retired Naval officer... which is to say, I love him to bits but we often butt heads.  He's basically equal parts John McCain and overprotective Onni, with a Carl Sagan-esque New Age streak in there just for chuckles.  Pray for me...)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »
Sounds good to me!  As time permits, I'll reread the GD for any topics that pop out at me.
(Meanwhile, I have to help my dad set up some Excel spreadsheets for a real estate project of his.   :P  He's a brilliant, stubborn, cranky, introverted 75-year-old retired Naval officer... which is to say, I love him to bits but we often butt heads.  He's basically equal parts John McCain and overprotective Onni, with a Carl Sagan-esque New Age streak in there just for chuckles.  Pray for me...)
Good luck!  (He sounds pretty awesome, by the way ;D)
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »
It's doable. 

Yeah it's fairly simple but time consuming, seeing as I need to search the thread for the individual posts... I'm also not sure if I can move the topics into their own thread, or into existing one... I'll look at it later today, or tomorrow.