Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136937 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: Improvements
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »
I clicked on the link and got a notice "Not ready yet!" and an Admin login slot.  Should we log in there, or just wait till more is available?

Register, then log in--it's gonna be my long-term Place For Fiddling, so I wanted to bar out spammers etc from the beginning. I started with a clean database, so users/posts/etc haven't been pulled over from this forum.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »
I definitely don't want to be yelling about it either? I actually have a ton of anxiety about being out most of the time, so. It'll most likely be whispering from the rooftops from me ahahahaha

"im not a girlllll im so sorry" -literally me
:c :c :c
in my case it's a lot more "I should try to keep lowkey about this so i don't seem obnoxious or make people uncomfortable" but i never learnt how to be closeted or even quiet about it,, i make it too relevant too often, i post too many pictures of myself, and..... like..... i tried to be lowkey irl too, it just DIDN'T WORK, it doesn't matter if i literally wear a shirt saying "not a girl" or have someone introduce my pronouns on stage in front of hundreds of people, i STILL GOTTA CORRECT THEM ALL THE TIME
so yeah obnoxiously loud it is

That's why I'd like to take the pulse of the community, so to speak, and see what everyone thinks. If you feel like it would put you in the spotlight too much, or if it seems like it'll bring up controversy, I'll code it but won't put it on the site. No pressure on anybody here. :)
nooo don't worry, do the thing!! I'm always hogging the spotlight on my own anyway because i'm absolutely hopeless. do the thing

i can't register on the test site, but from the little i can see it looks really neat!
you'll know where to find me.

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2015, 04:28:25 AM »
Alphabetical sorting / subsections to member list ? Not that necessary, but it would be a convenience feature.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2015, 04:31:10 AM »
Alphabetical sorting / subsections to member list ? Not that necessary, but it would be a convenience feature.

-C
you can change the sorting by clicking on the various categories, like username, position, number of posts, date registered..... but the position clicking is weird

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »
Seems like unnecessary faff to me.  Either people will get to know what people prefer to be called and use such accordingly or they will stick to using the words they prefer regardless of what other members want.  Personally I would be fine with everyone being referred to as "it/they".

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »
Personally I would be fine with everyone being referred to as "it/they".

I doubt most people would like to be called "it", though.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
Eh, wouldn't bother me.  My point was more that this seems really unnecessary. 

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2015, 08:00:35 AM »
Eh, wouldn't bother me.  My point was more that this seems really unnecessary.
Well, I for one have gotten several messages about my gender and how I want to be referred to...... but I guess putting my pronouns in my title works pretty well too? since I know sending PMs to people about these kinda things can be pretty intimidating

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
i can't register on the test site, but from the little i can see it looks really neat!

Ack, you're right, my bad. Forgot people can't register when it's in maintenance mode. Try it now. :)

ETA: I know a redesign is something people have been discussing for a while, and this is just my shot at it after fiddling for an evening. Would appreciate feedback or suggestions on anything that's confusing, not as usable, or just doesn't look good.

-C

What sort of thing did you have in mind? ATM you can choose how to sort the memberlist (username, number of posts, title, etc) and you can choose the starting letter of the username at the top right.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:19:43 PM by hushpiper »

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
hushpiper, it's looking great! I love the appearance and color scheme! :D
YEET

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »

On another subject--I'm playing around with the theme on a test site! It's in maintenance mode, so you'll have to register to see the whole thing. Check it out:

http://dev.ssssforum.com/index.php

I like the color scheme! Looks great, Hush :D
Though I wonder if the background image would make it harder to load on phones/tablets? I know some people use those to access the forums...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
I like the color scheme! Looks great, Hush :D
Though I wonder if the background image would make it harder to load on phones/tablets? I know some people use those to access the forums...
I tried it on my smartphone, and the background doesn't appear at all, so I don't think that will be a problem (unless people are intending to access the forum specifically to see the background image? nah...). Otherwise it looks the same on my phone as it does on my computer (and it is a very pretty color scheme, indeed!).
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
Test site looks pretty neat, but should the background image be larger?  I ask because for me there is a large section of grey space below the background image.

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »
Is there a chance to get a Serbian BBCode flag? I don't suppose there are many Serbs here, but it would be nice to have. Thanks! :)
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2015, 01:59:09 PM »
With many thanks to Eriaror, we now have a very pretty theme! It's up on the beta site now for your discerning eyes:

http://dev.ssssforum.com/index.php

Suggestions, complaints, criticism and ooh's and aah's are all welcome, so let us know what you think!