Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136892 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Improvements
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
Thank you!  :)

I am so bad at these kinds of things.

No problem. I'm sort of tech-illiterate myself, but having been on several forums before is an advantage when it comes to these things.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »
No problem. I'm sort of tech-illiterate myself, but having been on several forums before is an advantage when it comes to these things.

Yeah, I've learned so much since I started commenting regularely on SSSS.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sanlade

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
How about a background image on the forum page? A grey background dosen't seem to be fitting SSSS-comic standard. Could we use one from Minnas gallery(With her permission of course)?

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
How about a background image on the forum page? A grey background dosen't seem to be fitting SSSS-comic standard. Could we use one from Minnas gallery(With her permission of course)?
Minna said she'd be willing to donate some art.  She's very busy at the moment, with the comic and print drive, so it might be a while.
I was going to add the icons that Fimbulvarg made over the weekend, but circumstances were less than allowing.  I'll be doing that either this weekend, or when I have some time to after dealing with some irl stuff this week.
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
How about putting a link to the comic and/or indiegogo somewhere up there?
And also I think someone suggested this already, but it'd look better if it said "The Stand Still, Stay Silent fan-forum" instead of SSSS.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
Good idea about linking to the comic. After all, though we assume people will come here from the comic, there's no reason to rule out that people will come here after an internet search for something that coincidentally brings this forum up.

Perhaps a link in the top navigation bar would be appropriate, after "members" and "Logout".
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Went ahead and changed the heading.
The comic link will be harder to implement, but I know where I can look to learn how to do it. 
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
Went ahead and changed the heading.
The comic link will be harder to implement, but I know where I can look to learn how to do it.

The comic link works.  Thanks, Eich!
You know what would make a nice upgrade if it's ever doable?  Formatting the forum name, link, etc. in the typeface Minna uses in the comic's dialog bubbles.  IIRC, she designed it herself, but it looks a bit like Albertus, the one used in The Prisoner (including open, "Greek"-style lower-case E's). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
The comic link works.  Thanks, Eich!
You know what would make a nice upgrade if it's ever doable?  Formatting the forum name, link, etc. in the typeface Minna uses in the comic's dialog bubbles.  IIRC, she designed it herself, but it looks a bit like Albertus, the one used in The Prisoner (including open, "Greek"-style lower-case E's).
That one's just a placeholder until I can get an actual button made.
Hmm... I'm not sure if I can add fonts or not.  I'll have to do some snooping around to figure that one out.  If we can, Minna might be willing to donate some letters, or someone could try their hand at designing some letters.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2014, 06:14:26 PM »
That one's just a placeholder until I can get an actual button made.
Hmm... I'm not sure if I can add fonts or not.  I'll have to do some snooping around to figure that one out.  If we can, Minna might be willing to donate some letters, or someone could try their hand at designing some letters.

Wouldn't it be better/easier to get a partly transparent banner image, placed top centre?

Something like this (but mostly transparent).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:58:39 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »
Wouldn't it be better/easier to get a partly transparent banner image placed in the top centre?

Something like this (but mostly transparent).

Ooh.  I like that better!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
Putting up Fimbulvarg's redesigned board notification picture things.  Work in progress, but I'm getting there.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
Got it.  Learned a little more about the how the forum selects data, too.
If anyone wants to help out editing these new stars to be a tiny bit smaller (Fimbulvarg, do you remember making them a specific size?), or lightening the values a little to match with the very white and grey theme we have, just say so.
Feel free to PM.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Ooh, it's so pretty!

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
Yep.  And they go so much better with our particular forum than those drab speech bubbles of the past.  You did a really good job with them, Fimbulvarg!   :D

Not sure why the text is alternating black and gray.  I edited the stylesheets again to take care of it, and the preview shows that as not being a problem, so I'm not sure why it's still happening.  ...  Actually, is it still happening?  Are peoples' posts alternating colors for anyone else?
Feel free to PM.