Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136849 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Improvements
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
Can we get a language flag for Arabic?  (We recently got a member who speaks it.)
Saudi Arabia's flag might be a good choice, since it *is* a selection of Arabic on a green background.  Otherwise, the Egyptian flag, since (IIUC) Egyptian Arabic = the most commonly taught dialect. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
It's still giving me errors when I try to upload a new smiley.  Tried out some different configurations and pictures, and it always gave me the same problem.
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."
Feel free to PM.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
I'm not sure where this would belong, since it's probably been discussed already, but I'm not sure if incorporating the other languages like Japanese, Korean, and Chinese for a site is easy. I once posted something with Korean text, but, of course, came out as gibberish, so I had to had the romanization of it and put it there.

I don't mind waiting for any add-ons to the site, although I'm curious to see if something like that takes a long time or not.

Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
Our heroic admin, Eich, has been trying for a while to install Cyrillic -- but no luck.
(Actually UTF-8, which would allow the entirety of Unicode including Cyrillic and CJK, but also Khmer, various Indic and Indonesian scripts, Arabic, Linear A and B, Cuneiform, KLI pIqaD, ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Is it possible for the forum to insert replies to specific posts immediately after the post, rather than append them to the end?  Or is there a good reason for not doing so that I am overlooking?
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »
Is it possible for the forum to insert replies to specific posts immediately after the post, rather than append them to the end?  Or is there a good reason for not doing so that I am overlooking?

No, regrettably, I don't think there is a way to insert replies to immediately follow the original post.  (Eich, our Archon, may have some ideas, though.)

AFAIK, the only way to denote "reply" is to quote at least some of the original post.  As I have done.

Please don't let this discourage you from posting or replying, though!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »

Well as for cons, I imagine it wouldn't mesh well with the "view new posts" feature because if you could reply to any post on the thread, the posts wouldn't necessarily be consecutive.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2015, 02:49:02 AM »
Perhaps This Post and others following it should be moved from the Mikkel development thread to the Sigrun development thread.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
Thanks - no hurry!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2015, 10:39:31 PM »
So this post in the comments on pg 273:
Quote from: Amity
Maybe.. I don't know. A *small* group of general top level threads? So that you know where to start if you're going exploring?

* Announcements
* Canon / Creator's Commentary / Known Facts
* Gossip / Speculation
* Real World Background
* Fan Art
* Fan Writing
* Exuberant Praise
* Grumpy Criticism
sparked a thought in my all-too-ignorant brain: Might it be possible to create thread tags in the categories above, as certain thread titles can be somewhat… non-indicative?

If it isn't possible for [ insert highly technical reason of which I am ignorant here ], then it isn't, but I thought it would be worth looking into.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »
So this post in the comments on pg 273:sparked a thought in my all-too-ignorant brain: Might it be possible to create thread tags in the categories above, as certain thread titles can be somewhat… non-indicative?

If it isn't possible for [ insert highly technical reason of which I am ignorant here ], then it isn't, but I thought it would be worth looking into.

I had a "Forum Index" thread that was intended for that exact purpose, but I'm currently unable to update it since anything with more than 2 or 3 links appears to be marked as spam and won't get submitted...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:00 AM »
I had a "Forum Index" thread that was intended for that exact purpose, but I'm currently unable to update it since anything with more than 2 or 3 links appears to be marked as spam and won't get submitted...
Ummmmmmmmmmm… Not what I meant.

On some other BBs I've lurked upon, the thread name is followed by what's called a "tag", a short description categorizing the thread's subject/contents. Like on a gamer forum, one tag would be "Gamer Tales", while another would be "Player Help", and so on.

Now, if that option is precluded for our forum for technical or financial reasons, I understand, as I said.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »
On some other BBs I've lurked upon, the thread name is followed by what's called a "tag", a short description categorizing the thread's subject/contents. Like on a gamer forum, one tag would be "Gamer Tales", while another would be "Player Help", and so on.

That seems good to me.  How much work do you think it would take to tag the various threads? 

One other solution might be to group the threads into folders (along the lines of Amity's categories) within the 5 main boards.  But unlike LooNEY, I don't have prior experience with BBs, so I don't know how feasible that would be. 

Regardless, I'm in favor of any system that makes our content more accessible to the average reader.   If we come to a consensus, I'll put in whatever time I can to help implement it.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2015, 10:22:31 AM »
I just looked, and there is a mod that adds tagging for topics to the SMF forum so that could be used - if the added featureset wouldn't drag the forum down into perma-crash!

One wouldn't have to tag ALL threads, to start with. Make the system available and users can tag their own threads when they start them, and mods could possibly spend a few minutes whenever they can looking at old threads and tagging particularly interesting ones.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
One wouldn't have to tag ALL threads, to start with. Make the system available and users can tag their own threads when they start them, and mods could possibly spend a few minutes whenever they can looking at old threads and tagging particularly interesting ones.
Will the tagging mod be able to account for the differences in syntax? Like, if someone tags a thread "fan art" and another person writes "fanart", will the system be able to consolidate those? We would also need to come up with a list of agreed-upon tags that everyone can use, otherwise it won't really solve anything if people tag the same things with different words...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: