Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 137133 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Improvements
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
I noticed when i was replying to one of the pages that i seemingly couldn't link a video in a fashion that a youtube player is displayed at the page itself.

Is this even possible? If not i think it could be a worthy prospect to look in to if you guys have the time and patience.

You'd have to use BBCode embedding code instead of HTML to begin with, and youtube doesn't provide thhat... Hushpiper did find an alternative, but I tried that and it did... nothing.

Might something to do with the site's hosting.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
The forum would need a mod to embed video players. There is one for downloadHERE.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the mod is stable or safe. Use at your own peril!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
The forum would need a mod to embed video players. There is one for downloadHERE.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the mod is stable or safe. Use at your own peril!
Yep!  Known about that one for a while, just been hesitant to install it because I'm afraid of messing something up.  I'll look into it next week when I have some time after MAGFest. 
Feel free to PM.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Yep!  Known about that one for a while, just been hesitant to install it because I'm afraid of messing something up.  I'll look into it next week when I have some time after MAGFest.

Well let's hope it works since it would be quite a bit easir to give out songs and videos in a way that doesn't require downloading a new page.

And if anything gets broken i think most people will understand and forgive any missed hours otherwise spent posting here  :)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »
Hello, all!

Forum-Thor Eich has granted my prayers and invested me with Skald powers to arrange forum content.  I can now:
* Split threads into new topics (even non-contiguous posts)
* Name new threads resulting from thread-splitting
* Merge threads (which will be named/dated after the oldest post of both threads)
* Move threads to different boards.

I can't:
* Change or delete anyone's individual post
* Delete, lock, or unlock threads
* See or deal with anyone's PMs
* Do major fixes -- the kind Eich, hushpiper, and JoB have dealt with. 

Over the next few days, I'll be working to consolidate topics, eliminate duplicate threads, or create new threads for emerging topics.  But before I act, I'll do my best to notify the original thread creators and give them the right of refusal or to name the newly split-off thread. 

Please go on posting requests to this thread.  But also feel free to PM me if you have questions or want me to undo a change. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2015, 03:38:08 AM »
Hello, all!

Forum-Thor Eich has granted my prayers and invested me with Skald powers to arrange forum content.  I can now:
* Split threads into new topics (even non-contiguous posts)
* Name new threads resulting from thread-splitting
* Merge threads (which will be named/dated after the oldest post of both threads)
* Move threads to different boards.

I can't:
* Change or delete anyone's individual post
* Delete, lock, or unlock threads
* See or deal with anyone's PMs
* Do major fixes -- the kind Eich, hushpiper, and JoB have dealt with. 

Over the next few days, I'll be working to consolidate topics, eliminate duplicate threads, or create new threads for emerging topics.  But before I act, I'll do my best to notify the original thread creators and give them the right of refusal or to name the newly split-off thread. 

Please go on posting requests to this thread.  But also feel free to PM me if you have questions or want me to undo a change.

i eagarly await for the new changes you will be making and the few first ones seem to be only positive in nature so keep up the good work!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why play by post was split. Are we going to have multiple play threads going now?

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why play by post was split. Are we going to have multiple play threads going now?
Ditto! Is there a limit on how long threads can get? I know on other forums I've been, a thread sometimes reaches its max # of posts and a new one is made to continue it... So I assume that's what happened but it looks like they're BOTH still getting posted in?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »
It might be wise to lock the older threads and/or have the players create a new thread when they start with new rules. Anyway, such threads are doomed to become huge, since they are just the logfile of a chatbox....
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
(whoops, deleted thos post by accident)
Ditto! Is there a limit on how long threads can get? I know on other forums I've been, a thread sometimes reaches its max # of posts and a new one is made to continue it... So I assume that's what happened but it looks like they're BOTH still getting posted in?

The post in the old thread was just Sunflower saying that she split it, I believe. I understand why there's a 'current' thread - I think because it makes it easier for newcomers to understand, and not have to go through all the pages to het to the current game rules.
I don't understand, though, why there are three threads.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »
The post in the old thread was just Sunflower saying that she split it, I believe.
Yep.

I understand why there's a 'current' thread - I think because it makes it easier for newcomers to understand, and not have to go through all the pages to get to the current game rules.
I don't understand, though, why there are three threads.

Um... I was just reveling in my new thread-splitting powers...  :-[
(Also, *later* I learned from reading the SMF documentation that for faster performance they recommend to keep threads at no more than about 2,000 posts -- maybe under 1,000 if the site is slow to load.  But I can't claim I knew that at the time.)

When the Play By Post thread was created, I don't think anyone realized how massively popular it would become.  (I didn't, anyhow.)

Now that we do know, those of you who are active in Play By Post might want to set some ground rules about when to create new threads, and whether to lock old ones.  (Meanwhile, I need to look more into how thread-locking works -- not sure I can do that.)

Personally, I'd like to see only one game thread open at a time -- but make the others still *viewable* because some of the answers were so clever. 
Also, wasn't one of the games a collaborative fiction?  I personally think that should be saved for posterity even if most old game responses aren't. 

Regardless of my opinions, the wishes of active PBP participants should prevail.

I'll also post a condensed version of this notice in PBP.  Meanwhile, thanks for being good sports!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Yep.

Um... I was just reveling in my new thread-splitting powers...  :-[
(Also, *later* I learned from reading the SMF documentation that for faster performance they recommend to keep threads at no more than about 2,000 posts -- maybe under 1,000 if the site is slow to load.  But I can't claim I knew that at the time.)

When the Play By Post thread was created, I don't think anyone realized how massively popular it would become.  (I didn't, anyhow.)

Now that we do know, those of you who are active in Play By Post might want to set some ground rules about when to create new threads, and whether to lock old ones.  (Meanwhile, I need to look more into how thread-locking works -- not sure I can do that.)

Personally, I'd like to see only one game thread open at a time -- but make the others still *viewable* because some of the answers were so clever. 
Also, wasn't one of the games a collaborative fiction?  I personally think that should be saved for posterity even if most old game responses aren't. 

Regardless of my opinions, the wishes of active PBP participants should prevail.

I'll also post a condensed version of this notice in PBP.  Meanwhile, thanks for being good sports!
Alright, but I suggest old threads are closed. That way people can view them and we won't have greenhorns coming in and frankensteining old play by post threads because they didn't know they were defunct.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:50 PM »
If I may... I suggest a board for play-by-posts. The older games go there and are locked, or maybe left open. They are worth keeping, I believe (well, most of them), and some like the acronym game or the last letter game may even be revived? Other stuff like the roleplay, though, I think has to be closed - that really needs no Frankesteining.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »
If I may... I suggest a board for play-by-posts. The older games go there and are locked, or maybe left open. They are worth keeping, I believe (well, most of them), and some like the acronym game or the last letter game may even be revived? Other stuff like the roleplay, though, I think has to be closed - that really needs no Frankesteining.
I think Eich as ruled out any new boards (and if he did add one I would prefer a creative content board).

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2015, 03:53:52 AM »
Hmmm. I've been seeing the winking smiley as a Mexican flag, and what should be the Russian flag as said smiley.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: