Author Topic: Language-learning resources!  (Read 30157 times)

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: Tandem Language Exchange App
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2017, 06:52:25 AM »
I said:
american is like an alternative of english... english is mostly british english to me, which is taught normally in schools (or at least here). they are different a bit, like with many words and pronounciation, so, if learning from other american, I would learn american.

however I am not sure if I would choose english to learn, I could find british teachers? I would prefer that tho.

thanks, I didn't want to join and download the programme or app before knowing it
but still not sure I would join, I do have a finnish teacher, teaching me from a book, and pretty easily (unlike my first try, where a random finn tried to teach and they tried to explain the grammar comparing it to italian or other languages that I know nothing of, now, my teacher is hungarian, so easier explanation I've got.)

Ah, sorry. I didn't notice the "american" there, I just saw the "why not english". I agree with Auxivele, they are not so different as you make them seem, especially if you stick to formal speech. Let's put it this way: can you tell apart the American minnions from the British ones on this forum just based on their language use?

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
American English and British English are not different enough to require an entirely different teacher. They are virtually the same. I am sorry, but I don't understand why you would prefer one over the other? It is still the same language.

bad experiences on americans, and this programme or site or what would connect me people, who would be mostly american probably, and they could teach something wrong maybe, because they don't know all grammar and spelling correctly.
my experiences on British people was they are way better at english speaking, grammar and spelling.

but it is all just experiences.
I am sorry

and I personally would like to learn more of british english words and expressions.
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
bad experiences on americans, and this programme or site or what would connect me people, who would be mostly american probably, and they could teach something wrong maybe, because they don't know all grammar and spelling correctly.
my experiences on British people was they are way better at english speaking, grammar and spelling.

but it is all just experiences.
I am sorry

and I personally would like to learn more of british english words and expressions.
I don't think there's a huge difference in the skill level of Americans and Brits when speaking or writing English; we just have a population that is 5 times the size of the U.K., so we just have a perhaps larger quantity that is easily accessible and apparent.

As to spelling, there are a lot of spelling differences between the U.S. and the U.K. Just because someone spells something differently does not mean that it is spelled incorrectly. (For example, you wrote "programme." Here, that would be spelled "program." Both are correct, they are simply different regional spellings of the same word.)

You don't need to apologize, and I think it's great if you want to learn more British slang or expressions or what have you. To me, it just seemed like you were treating them like different languages, which they are not.

I wish you luck in finding a good person to help you learn!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
There are a few differences between american and british english but I suppose it's up to the person as to which they prefer :) I'm happy to help if anyone wants to know any weird things british people say. I'm from East Anglia so I'll know more about the dialect we have than the others, but I suppose it's something?
We have so many different slang words it's hard to keep up oh my god

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
NSLI-Y program anyone?
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
NSLI-Y (National Security Language Initiative for Youth) is a program run by the U.S. government for U.S. high school students to study abroad for either 6-8 weeks over the summer or 8-10 months during the school year. It's available to all U.S. high school students age 15-18 at the time of application, but most who get in either apply during their junior or senior year. As of this year, there are 8 languages you can study: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Bahasa Indonesia (new this year, and only available as a summer program), Korean, Persian (Tajiki, and only available as a summer program), Russian, and Turkish (it had been put on hold, but at least for now the program has been opened up again). Applications for 2018-2019 close November 2 at 4PM Eastern Time. You do not get to choose which country you go to, but, as it is run by the U.S. State Department, they would not put you somewhere they thought was unsafe (which is why the Turkish program had been put on hold for the past few years).

The program and other similar programs such as YES (the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange & Study Program, where you travel to Muslim-majority countries to engage in cultural exchange) and CBYX (the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange, where you can go to Germany for a year and study politics) are getting their budgets cut by our current president and his administration, which might make it a little more difficult to get accepted, but I don't think it should be a major change.

I'm trying to apply for the Korean program, most likely the summer program, but you can put two program requests in your application and one of them is "any," so I'm really just applying for all of the summer programs (because I am a language nerd). If anyone else is interested in applying, I would be happy to answer your questions (but this is also my first time applying, so I'm not necessarily the most knowledgeable about the program).

Check out the NSLI website if you are interested!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

itstricky

• Tumblr
Re: NSLI-Y program anyone?
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2019, 02:42:08 AM »
HI i know you posted this over a year ago but I just wanted to reach out for future reference! I did the NSLI-Y year program in India!! I would be super into answer any application or program questions so just hit me up!
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
Re: Language-learning resources!
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2022, 08:28:03 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Duolingo released Finnish recently (?) I'm not sure how accurate it is given that my Finnish is pretty much limited to saying hello but, as with all Duolingo courses, it's probably good for basics!
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2022, 12:06:08 AM »
Since I am a daily Duolingo user anyway, and need to keep my spot in the Diamond league, I tried the first couple of lessons. So far I have learned to say the usual thanks/sorry/cheers, and also 'yay', 'you are nice' and 'you are funny'. But not 'you are stupid', for some reason.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Kiran

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • More of a sjoedraug.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2022, 01:17:15 AM »
Not only that,
But not 'you are stupid', for some reason.
I have also "This (smth) is very strange." for some reason.
Somewhat fluent:🇺🇸
Native language:🇮🇳(telugu)
Somewhat rusty:🇮🇳(hindi)
Trying to learn:🇳🇴

IndigoGollum

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he, him, etc.
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2023, 10:39:42 AM »
I've been using Lernu (https://lernu.net/) to learn Esperanto for a while. I like it because it uses written stories in Esperanto and lets you translate individual words you don't know. It's also available in a bunch of languages, so it's not just for English speakers.
Fluent: :us:
Learning: :eo::dk:
My avatar is from here.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2023, 03:04:49 PM »
I found free ASL classes that run until late December. [https://courses.osd.k12.ok.us/collections]

The course is on the up and up. It focuses on visual communication and teaches US Deaf history. I am finding the learning process engaging and relatively smooth, even though I struggle with language. Though I did go in knowing some ASL.

I think the classes may work internationally but I can't really say.