Author Topic: Language-learning resources!  (Read 30523 times)

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
Re: Free lessons in classical languages.
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
LITERAL SHRIEKING
ALSO
DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU AHVE BROUGHT UPON US
*now knows what they'll be doing all winter break*
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:30 AM »
Great, it seems I can brush up on my latin there. And maybe learn some ancient greek EEEEEEK.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

shaeira

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • wants to post more but ends up lurking through
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her ; they/them
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2015, 04:07:02 AM »
Oh NO .. Must resist
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

everyone else knows so many languages
-----------
knows : :philippines: : Tagalog and Bisaya  :usa:
learning : :spain:
will continue someday: :sweden:

twit~
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
⋗ ⋗ ⋙ ⋖⋗✥⋖⋗ ⋘ ⋖ ⋖

elynshi

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
I'm already trying to juggle English, Chinese, Swedish and Spanish all at once!
oh no, i've always wanted to learn latin.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
Very cool, thanks for the link!
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »
I just realised, there is a very cool link that I have had for years and that is worth sharing:

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/index.html

Basically the university of Texas proposes, online, for free, and without registration required, a series of lessons to learn the basics of many ancient indo-european languages, including Classical Latin, Classical Greek, Biblical Greek, Old Church Slavonic, Old French, Old English, Old Norse, Gothic, Old Irish, Classical Armenian, Old Iranian, Hittite, Tocharian, Vedic Sanskrit, as well as a few modern languages (Albanian, Lithuanian and Latvian).

They're mostly made for people who want to be able to read classical texts, but they're nonetheless pretty interesting and give good overviews of the languages in question, as well as actual practice in the forms of various annoted texts.

I often use this site as reference when I'm looking for informations about one these languages (each series of lessons has an index that allows you to access either the sample texts or the grammar points directly).

Ooooh!  That's neat!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2015, 07:25:14 AM »
Something Noodly sound, I'm just moving it here so it does not get lost.
This may be interesting to our Old English/Norse learners.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
Viola > that is also a very good link, thanks.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Latiep

• Gets distracted by EVERYTHING. Lurks in spare time
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Tandem Language Exchange App
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
So, I found this cool app called Tandem that I thought I would share: https://www.tandem.net/
It's on the App Store and Google Play.

Basically it's a social language learning app. You select the languages you know and the languages you want to learn. Then you write a little bio and what kinds of people you would prefer talking to and it gives you a list of other users who are learning a language you know and speak a language you want to learn.

So far, it seems like a really good way to learn a language authentically. The people are generally very friendly as well.
I'm not sure if this should be merged to another thread somewhere or not. So..... yeah.
Native :usa:
Learning :norway:
Is planning on learning :iceland:
Knows a bit of :france:
Knows tidbits of :germany:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Tandem Language Exchange App
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
Oh, I used the app like this (HelloTalk) before, but it didn't stick to me (because I'm not very comfortable to communicate with absolute strangers). I think if more minnions knew about this app and enjoyed it - it would be great  :)
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
it seems like learning only very popular languages like spanish, german, french, italian, portugese, russian chinese, japanese and american (why not english, I wonder)

but I think on this forum there are many who want to learn a nordic language, which is less wanted language then those, and I don't even see it. does that mean, it is not possible to learn any nordic language there, or something? the site is not too easy to find out this information.
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »
it seems like learning only very popular languages like spanish, german, french, italian, portugese, russian chinese, japanese and american (why not english, I wonder)

There is English too, look for the US flag :)

I'm not thrilled about sites that require your "real identity" and photo, but for people who don't mind, I guess this is an option.

Latiep

• Gets distracted by EVERYTHING. Lurks in spare time
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »

but I think on this forum there are many who want to learn a nordic language, which is less wanted language then those, and I don't even see it. does that mean, it is not possible to learn any nordic language there, or something? the site is not too easy to find out this information.

It has pretty much every language available. There are people from Norway and Iceland on there that you can talk to. They're a lot less common, but they are there. I don't know about Swedes, Finns, or Danes since I haven't selected those languages to learn, but I would assume there are a fair amount of them.
Native :usa:
Learning :norway:
Is planning on learning :iceland:
Knows a bit of :france:
Knows tidbits of :germany:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »
There is English too, look for the US flag :)

I'm not thrilled about sites that require your "real identity" and photo, but for people who don't mind, I guess this is an option.

I said:
....and american (why not english, I wonder)....

american is like an alternative of english... english is mostly british english to me, which is taught normally in schools (or at least here). they are different a bit, like with many words and pronounciation, so, if learning from other american, I would learn american.

however I am not sure if I would choose english to learn, I could find british teachers? I would prefer that tho.

It has pretty much every language available. There are people from Norway and Iceland on there that you can talk to. They're a lot less common, but they are there. I don't know about Swedes, Finns, or Danes since I haven't selected those languages to learn, but I would assume there are a fair amount of them.

thanks, I didn't want to join and download the programme or app before knowing it
but still not sure I would join, I do have a finnish teacher, teaching me from a book, and pretty easily (unlike my first try, where a random finn tried to teach and they tried to explain the grammar comparing it to italian or other languages that I know nothing of, now, my teacher is hungarian, so easier explanation I've got.)
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
american is like an alternative of english... english is mostly british english to me, which is taught normally in schools (or at least here). they are different a bit, like with many words and pronounciation, so, if learning from other american, I would learn american.
American English and British English are not different enough to require an entirely different teacher. They are virtually the same. I am sorry, but I don't understand why you would prefer one over the other? It is still the same language.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: