General > Language Board

Linguistics

<< < (2/60) > >>

FrogEater:
Français :

Chat (cat) = Miaou
Chien (dog) = Ouah ! or (more recent) Arf !
Âne (donkey) = Hi-han!
Souris (mouse) = ?? Perhaps 'Iiiiiiii' (sounds Tuuri-like : Eeeeee !)
Oiseau (small bird) = Cuicui
Corbeau (crow) = Croa croa
Coq (rooster, cock) = Cocorico
Frog (grenouille) = Coa coa
Coucou (cuckoo) = Coucou (how unexpected...)
Vache (cow) = Meuh
Mouton (sheep) = Bêê
Cochon (pig) = Onk, onk (not standardised)

Ouch= Aïe ! or Ouille !
Sneezing = Atchoum (traditional response "à vos souhaits !", best wishes)
Snore = Rrrron....Pchhhhi...

Luci:
Onomatopoeias are always funny~ Let me try something:

Portuguese:

Gato (cat) - Miau
Cachorro (dog) - Au Au
Pássaro (bird) - Piu Piu (but this varies depending on the species).
Macaco (monkey) - Something like "uh uh ha haa!"
Vaca (cow) - Muuu
Ovelha (sheep) - Béééé
Porco (pig) - Oinc Oinc
Sapo (frog) - Rebit
Grilo (cricket) - Cri Cri
Insetos voadores (flying intects) - zuuuuum
Galinha (chicken) - Po po po
Bebês (babies) - Buáááá
When you get hurt - Ai! or @&%#!
Espirro (sneeze) - Atchim! And you say "Saúde"(health).

JoB:

--- Quote from: Lenny on November 11, 2014, 10:28:27 PM ---I'm also not at all sure why German is German in English, either.

--- End quote ---
Because Germany was pretty late to form as a united country/territory and from all the Germanic tribes living in that area, the Germanen ("spear-wielding warriors") were closest to Britain and the Alemannen (literal meaning unclear) were closest to France. Hence, "Germany" and "Allemagne".

Similarly, "Saksa" and the like (Finland, Estonia, Old Icelandic) from the Saxons, "bawerski" (Lower Sorbic) from Bavarians, "Frángoi" (Middle Greek) = Franks, Teutons, Vagoth, ...

"Deutsch(land)" itself and the Italian "Tedesci" come from diutisc ("of the people"), a term tweaked over time to designate the group of all local Germanic dialects spoken across the territory.

The Slavic nations mostly use terms related to n?m?ci, a case of the recurring concept to call people who cannot express themselves in your language "mute". Possibly in the same vein, "miksisk?i" (Jatwingian, Old Prussian) = "to stammer".

[Edit for non-Unicode forum: "niemci" and "miksiskai".]

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch_in_anderen_Sprachen

FrogEater:
to JoB : very interesting, hoch interessant ! FYI, in French, we also have the adjective 'tudesque' (cf italian 'tedesco'), which is seldom used, as it is mainly litterary or tongue-in-cheek (but not abwertend, deprecative or insulting).

to Eich : thank you! Simple and effective solution! If you find the time for this, could you maintain in the first post a list of the codes and corresponding flags ?

Solovei:

--- Quote from: JoB on November 12, 2014, 06:48:48 AM ---
The Slavic nations mostly use terms related to n?m?ci, a case of the recurring concept to call people who cannot express themselves in your language "mute". Possibly in the same vein, "miksisk?i" (Jatwingian, Old Prussian) = "to stammer".

[Edit for non-Unicode forum: "niemci" and "miksiskai".]

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch_in_anderen_Sprachen

--- End quote ---

I feel like I should apologize on behalf of the Slavic nations! Sorry, JoB (and other German-speaking/identifying folks)
But also I just wanted to see if my signature thingy worked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version