Author Topic: Language Introduction thread!  (Read 79082 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: Introduction thread!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »
Well, I spotted some more mistakes, but I don't know if you want me to correct them? Anyway, my introduction in German:

Hallo alle zusammen, ich bin FenShen - den Spitznamen habe ich von einer Freundin, die ihn allerdings eher "Fänschn" ausspricht, was ich nicht so schön finde. ;)
Ich komme aus Norddeutschland, schreibe gerade an meiner Masterarbeit und möchte nach dem Studium gern als Journalistin arbeiten. In meiner Freizeit mache ich Karate und lesen viel, vor allem Fantasy und Science Fiction. Für Sprachen habe ich mich schon immer interessiert. In der Schule habe ich Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch und ein bisschen Norwegisch gelernt - Englisch und Französisch kann ich noch, mein Spanisch ist leider völlig verkümmert und um Norwegisch bemühe ich mich gerade wieder. Außerdem versuche ich, Italienisch zu lernen. :)

(Hello everybody, I'm FenShen - I got the nickname from a friend, who pronounces it more like "Fänschn", which I don't like that much. I'm from northern Germany, currently writing my masters thesis and want to work as a journalist after my studies. In my free time, I'm practicing Karate and read a lot, especially fantasy and Science fiction. I've always been interested in languages. At school I've learnt English, French, Spanish and a little Norwegian - I can still speak English and French, my Spanish has unfortunately wasted away to zero and I'm trying to revive my Norwegian. Furthermore, I'm trying to learn Italian.)

Salut, je m'appelle FenShen... eeh, je n'ai as vraiment envie de répéter tout ça pour une deuxième ou troisieme fois...
Så jeg trenge ikke å skrive den norske versjonen for øyeblikket.  :P
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
Hi! I'm StellersJayC! A Steller's Jay is a bird that lives on the west coast of the United States - where I live. A common mistake is people identifying it as a Blue Jay when it is really a blue-colored Jay.

Oh, that's a bit funny. First time I saw your username I thought about Steller's Sea Eagle, but I guess Steller named lots of birds.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:16:39 PM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »
Oh, that's a bit funny. First time I saw your username I thought about Steller's Sea Eagle, but I guess Steller named lots of birds.
I have to admit that with that image of seal!Ville next to it, I assumed it to refer to Hydrodamalis gigas ... :-[
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
I have to admit that with that image of seal!Ville next to it, I assumed it to refer to Hydrodamalis gigas ... :-[

My word, this Stellers fellow was all over the place. I should discover an animal myself so that my name can be perpetuated.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
My word, this Stellers fellow was all over the place. I should discover an animal myself so that my name can be perpetuated.
Don't forget the Steller Sea Lion!

Woo! I could read that! There might still be a sliver of hope for me.
...I could read that? I could read that!! I COULD read that! I could read THAT! I read something in German and only got one word clamorously wrong (Kanninchen)... I'm making progress, finally :D
Hooray! We're all learning!

Hallo alle zusammen, ich bin FenShen...
Yay! I can also understand! (Mostly. It got kinda shaky around the language part.)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 01:22:44 AM »
¡Buenas tardes!  Me llamo "Sunflower"/Girasol -- "me llamo" literalmente, porque no usamos nuestros nombres verdaderos aqui.

Vivo en California, que era tierra española y entonces mexicano hace muchos años.  Por lo tanto, no es de extrañar que muchas personas ya hablan español aqui.

Yo aprendaba español cuando era chica, en la escuela.  (Pero he olvidado el mayor parte -- ¡muchos gracias, Google Translate!)  Era útil cuando yo trabajaba como periodista en el Valle Central de California, donde hay muchos mexicanos y otros hispanohablantes.  Me enteré y escribí historias de muchas costumbres mexicanas, como la quinceañera, el Dia de los Muertos, la Virgen de Guadalupe y su dia festal, y Las Posadas Navidadeñas.  (Y también las pandillas latinas; todavia sé los señales de manos y la "heraldia" de las pandillas: 13 = La M o Mafia Mexicana (azul) y 14 = Los Norteños (rojo).)

Ahora no lo uso mucho, excepto de decir "gracias" a la señora que limpia las oficinas. 

Me gustan mucho la música y las bailes latinas, de todas clases -- salsa, danzón cubano, chá-chá-chá, merengue (un baile un poco vulgar, pero divertido), tango (¡que encanta los finlandeses también!) y "neo-tango" como el grupo Gotan -- y también la musica bellísima de Brasil: samba, bossa nova, trôpicalismo, y mas.  (Perdón, Luci, pero no hablo portugueso, a parte de las palabras de mis canciónes favoritos.)

Y me gusta el arte mexicano, como Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, David Siqueros, y más. 

Nunca esperé hablar (o, más bien, escribir) español en una communidad que se interesa de un cuento de las países del Norte.  ¡Pero siempre es una sorpresa agradable para encontrar compañerismo en cualquier parte!

Con mucho gusto de conocerles todos...
"Sunflower"

Good evening!  My name is "Sunflower" -- quite literally, "I call myself Sunflower," since we aren't using our true names on this forum.

I live in California, which used to be Spanish territory and then Mexican many years ago.  So it isn't strange that many people here still speak Spanish.

I learned Spanish when I was young, in high school.  (But I'm afraid I've forgotten most of it, so thank you, Google Translate!)  Speaking Spanish was useful when I was a newspaper reporter in California's Central Valley, where there are a lot of Mexican-Americans and other Spanish speakers. 

As a reporter, I learned about and wrote stories on lots of Mexican customs, like the "quinceañera" (a girl's debut when she turns 15, usually with a big, elaborate party), the Day of the Dead (Nov. 1-2), the Virgin of Guadalupe and her festival day on Dec. 8, and the "posada" celebrations at Christmastime.  (I also learned about Latino gangs, and still know all the hand signs and "heraldry" of the streets; the two major gangs are "The M" (for Mexican Mafia), or 13s, and "The N" (for Norteños or northerners, a/k/a born in the U.S.).

I'm afraid I don't use my Spanish much these days, other than to thank the lady who cleans the office at night...

I love Latin music and dance of all types, including salsa, Cuban jazz, cha-cha-cha, merengue (a dance that's slightly vulgar, but fun), tango (which the Finns love too!) and the related "neo-tango" as represented by groups like Gotan.  And also beautiful Brazilian music:  samba, bossa nova, tropicalismo, and more!  (Sorry, Luci -- I think you're our only Brazilian so far -- but I don't know any Portuguese other than a few words of my favorite songs, like Tom Jobim's "Águas de março.")

I also like Mexican art. 

I never thought I'd have a chance to speak (or rather, write) Spanish in a forum about a story set in the Nordic countries.  But it's always a pleasant surprise to find fellowship anywhere!

Yours,

Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SravenDou

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Bonjour, mon nom est SravenDou et je suis Canadienne française! (Du Québec)
Je viens de commencer mes études en Art au Cegep –une forme d’école préuniversitaire que nous avons seulement au Québec- Et j’adore ARTD et SSSS! Minna est donc une artiste qui m’inspire beaucoup et j’aimerais dessiner aussi bien qu’elle un jour! C’est pourquoi je travaille très fort à m’améliorer.
 J’ai quelques base d’Espagnol et de Mandarin, mais je ne vais pas tenter d’écrire dans ces deux langues, j’ai beaucoup trop perdue pour tenter cela!
Je suis heureuse d'avoir surpassée ma timidité et d'être venue sur le forum.

Hello my name is SravenDou and I am French Canadian (from Québec!).
I just started my Art studies in Cegep – a form of pre-university that we only have in the province of Québec I believe…- and I love ARTD et SSSS! Minna is an artist that inspire me a lot and I dream that my drawing skills are going to be good like that one day and I work hard to achieve this.
I have some base in Spanish and Mandarin but I have forgotten too much to write in these languages.
I am happy to have surpassed my shyness and to have come on the forum.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
:germany: Hallo. Mein Name ist kex. Ich bin (fast) 28 Jahre alt und wohne in Nordrhein-Westphalen. Ich arbeite als Lehrer an einer Schule für Kinder mit emotionalem und sozialen Förderbedarf. Ich lese gerne, laufe viel und fotographiere, falls ich Zeit finde. Ich lerne Türkisch und spreche Englisch.

:uk: Hello. My name is kex. I am (nearly) 28 years old and live in North-Rhine-Westphalia. I work as a teacher at a school aimed at children with special needs in education. I like reading, run a lot and take fotos if there is enough time. I'm learning Turkish and speak English.

:turkey: Merhaba. Adim kex. yirmi-sekiz yasindayim ve Nordrhein-Westfalen oturuyorum. Öregnmetenim.

My Turkish is not good enough for talking about hobbies yet. I try to reconstruct some of my Latin but it seems so long ago ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:06:27 AM by kjeks »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »
Hallo. Mein Name ist kex. Ich bin (fast) 28 Jahre alt und wohne in Nordrhein-Westphalen. Ich arbeite als Lehrer an einer Schule für Kinder mit emotionalem und sozialen Förderbedarf. Ich lese gerne, laufe viel und fotographiere, falls ich Zeit finde. Ich lerne Türkisch und spreche Englisch.

I thought the word Lehrerin was used for female teachers. Have they made it gender neutral or is either version always fine?

JoB

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
I thought the word Lehrerin was used for female teachers. Have they made it gender neutral or is either version always fine?
Various attempts at introducing separate notation for gender neutral versions of nouns notwithstanding, German still officially subscribes to the mechanism of the unmarked masculine gender.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »
Various attempts at introducing separate notation for gender neutral versions of nouns notwithstanding, German still officially subscribes to the mechanism of the unmarked masculine gender.

When I took German classes we were instructed to always make a distinction between female and male occupation titles when possible. I'm a bit surprised that Germans themselves don't really care for it. If it's of any interest, Norwegian categorically uses masculine gender in titles even when there exists a female version (I can only think of one example, lærerinne=Lehrerin). And whenever there's been a crime the police is looking for the "gjerningsmann" ("man who did the deed").

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
When I took German classes we were instructed to always make a distinction between female and male occupation titles when possible. I'm a bit surprised that Germans themselves don't really care for it. If it's of any interest, Norwegian categorically uses masculine gender in titles even when there exists a female version (I can only think of one example, lærerinne=Lehrerin). And whenever there's been a crime the police is looking for the "gjerningsmann" ("man who did the deed").

Huh. I get instructed to make the distinction as well. If we use the wrong form it counts as a spelling error.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
Huh. I get instructed to make the distinction as well. If we use the wrong form it counts as a spelling error.
Technically I am a Lehrerin, but I dislike putting two Letters on everything I try to be just to let everybode know that I'm a woman. I'm fine with the male form and always used it on scientific tasks at university. You had to mention in a sentence that you are aiming at both, male and female (or now at any of the 58 known genders) and then using the male form only would be fine. It saves you many letters ;). The British do without a female form as well as the Turkish, so I'm not sure why we Germans really need it.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
The British do without a female form as well as the Turkish, so I'm not sure why we Germans really need it.
English uses a single article for all genders, Turkish doesn't have any in the first place. Abolishing the historic gender-specific forms of the nouns without eradicating the gender-specific articles (a much larger change, and would need to be done in one fell swoop, I guess) would sort of miss the objective (der Lehrende vs. die Lehrende etc.) ...

True story: The bus sci dpt. at my U had examination regulations saying that after passing the (diploma) exams, all students were to obtain the title of Diplom-Kaufmann, with legal documents to that exact title and whatnot. Then one female student felt slighted by the title of her being a man and started to clamor for being granted the title of Diplom-Kauffrau; Since the regulations have the rank of legal acts, this required an actual lawsuit at the Verwaltungsgerichtshof, yadda yadda. In the end, the regulations were changed so that male students became a Kaufmann and female ones a Kauffrau.

A while later, a female student felt that her title-to-be singling her out for her gender was debasing ...

... situation as of now: Female students get to choose between the two, male ones are nailed to the traditional one, and every time a student even mentions that (s)he doesn't like the available selection of titles all that much, half the dpt.'s administration staff tries to strangle him/her in time ...

(... which is actually a very valid concern because you're legally forbidden to use any variant not explicitly granted by the regulations or the certificate. The folks who wrote the regulations governing my studies completely forgot about abbreviations or the (pretty common) latinized form ...)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
English uses a single article for all genders, Turkish doesn't have any in the first place. Abolishing the historic gender-specific forms of the nouns without eradicating the gender-specific articles (a much larger change, and would need to be done in one fell swoop, I guess) would sort of miss the objective (der Lehrende vs. die Lehrende etc.) ...

True story: The bus sci dpt. at my U had examination regulations saying that after passing the (diploma) exams, all students were to obtain the title of Diplom-Kaufmann, with legal documents to that exact title and whatnot. Then one female student felt slighted by the title of her being a man and started to clamor for being granted the title of Diplom-Kauffrau; Since the regulations have the rank of legal acts, this required an actual lawsuit at the Verwaltungsgerichtshof, yadda yadda. In the end, the regulations were changed so that male students became a Kaufmann and female ones a Kauffrau.

A while later, a female student felt that her title-to-be singling her out for her gender was debasing ...

... situation as of now: Female students get to choose between the two, male ones are nailed to the traditional one, and every time a student even mentions that (s)he doesn't like the available selection of titles all that much, half the dpt.'s administration staff tries to strangle him/her in time ...

(... which is actually a very valid concern because you're legally forbidden to use any variant not explicitly granted by the regulations or the certificate. The folks who wrote the regulations governing my studies completely forgot about abbreviations or the (pretty common) latinized form ...)

This debate was a large issue while we occupied university in 2009. I just hated how much time was put on correcting protocols. But I think we should cultural gender issues in a seperate topic ;) It would be interesting to know if similar problems occur during this Lesbian-Trans-Gender-Queer-Bla-debate anywhere else.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information