General > General Discussion Board

Global Holidays and Celebrations

<< < (2/83) > >>

Silenter:

--- Quote from: StellersJayC on October 26, 2014, 11:21:49 AM ---I think most of the United States gets Columbus Day off. In my state we don't. (I don't think it was ever a recognized holiday here.) But then again, I don't live in most of the United States and can't say for sure.

--- End quote ---
I forgot which states, but there are states that do not celebrate it. But over in NY, we still do.

Raya:
I'm pretty sure America was discovered before Columbus and Leif Eriksson. Y'know, on account of all the people who were already living there for millennia beforehand.

Also St Brendan could have very well been the first European to set foot in America...

Noah O.:

--- Quote from: Raya on October 26, 2014, 03:31:20 PM ---I'm pretty sure America was discovered before Columbus and Leif Eriksson. Y'know, on account of all the people who were already living there for millennia beforehand.

Also St Brendan could have very well been the first European to set foot in America...

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Nameless Siberian Tribesman Day wouldn't really catch on that well.

Sunflower:

--- Quote from: Noah O. on October 26, 2014, 04:16:55 PM ---Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Nameless Siberian Tribesman Day wouldn't really catch on that well.

--- End quote ---

I used to live in ultra-PC Berkeley, which observes Indigenous Peoples' Day instead of Columbus Day. 
Hawaii, where I lived as a child, celebrates Discoverers' Day, adding the brave Polynesian navigators who discovered Hawaii c. 1200 AD to the list.

Noah O.:

--- Quote from: Sunflower on October 26, 2014, 04:24:56 PM ---I used to live in ultra-PC Berkeley, which observes Indigenous Peoples' Day instead of Columbus Day. 
Hawaii, where I lived as a child, celebrates Discoverers' Day, adding the brave Polynesian navigators who discovered Hawaii c. 1200 AD to the list.

--- End quote ---
Unfortunately the rest of America will stick with Columbus Day, not in the least because of them Right-Wingers cough cough Tea Party cough

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version