Author Topic: Adventure III fanfic?  (Read 4209 times)

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
  • Preferred pronouns: Your Lordship
Adventure III fanfic?
« on: March 14, 2022, 07:40:57 PM »
Pretty much what it says in the tin, I've read my share of SSSS fics, some of them quite good indeed. And since the ending to Adventure II had a pretty clear setup to the next one (the mystery job in Sweden, possibly getting into Emil's backstory - why his family fell from grace and such?), it doesn't seem a stretch to assume somebody could make their own continuation. I'm not like making a request or anything (I myself might take a swing at it, but not until late May - college is hell on my free time) but I'm interested to hear y'all's thoughts on it.
 :lalli: :emil: :sigrun: :mikkel: :reynir: :onni:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Adventure III fanfic?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:36:43 PM »
I would be up for that. My main constraint is time. I’m Tanist over on Archive of Our Own, if you want to read some of my stuff. I can do prose, poetry or factual info, but am utterly useless at art.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:30:57 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »
There's a book called Hiero's Journey -- 50s science fiction, not great writing and may be offensive -- that has people called Eleveners.  They hold to the Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not despoil the Earth or the life thereof".  Eleveners defend (or try to defend) all life, even radiation-induced mutants.

I've thought sometimes that there might be Eleveners in SSSS.  I suppose they might object to a Vasterstrom factory that produces poisons to kill grosslings, or maybe experiments on (i.e., tortures?) grosslings to find effective poisons.  So they might have burned it down.

I've never figured out where to go with the idea, however, so I'm just throwing it out as something to think about.

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 03:54:08 AM »
I would love to have a go at something like this, but I would want to do it properly, so it would require a lot of time. More than I have, probably.
I haven't even finished my ghosts-in-Iceland adventure.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
I would love to have a go at something like this, but I would want to do it properly, so it would require a lot of time. More than I have, probably.

Yeah, that's fair. I'm starting a fic that's been rattling around in my head for some time to get some practice at writing the characters
before I try anything on the level of Adventure III. I have my doubts that any of us Minnions have the time to do something like that in full, but it might be worth getting a bunch of folks to pitch in. By the community, for the community, y'know?

Ghosts in Iceland adventure? Do tell.

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »
There's a book called Hiero's Journey -- 50s science fiction, not great writing and may be offensive -- that has people called Eleveners.  They hold to the Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not despoil the Earth or the life thereof".  Eleveners defend (or try to defend) all life, even radiation-induced mutants.

I've thought sometimes that there might be Eleveners in SSSS.  I suppose they might object to a Vasterstrom factory that produces poisons to kill grosslings, or maybe experiments on (i.e., tortures?) grosslings to find effective poisons.  So they might have burned it down.

I've never figured out where to go with the idea, however, so I'm just throwing it out as something to think about.

I actually think it was mentioned by Minna a long while ago, or in Adventure I, that such groups existed in Iceland. There's a lot of potential there, I think. I'll probably steal that reasoning, and it could even be something that comes up later down the line (if Emil met some of those folks later, how would he react, knowing what they did? Could get some decent character development there.)

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 01:12:57 PM »
I would be up for that. My main constraint is time. I’m Tanist over on Archive of Our Own, if you want to read some of my stuff. I can do prose, poetry or factual info, but am utterly useless at art.

In my mind, even if some dedicated folks did happen to get together and write this, the most prominent that art would be, would be as little illustrations every few pages. Maybe info sheets, one character or another's expression, am important monster, maybe some scenery here or there. I can draw pretty well, but I don't have anywhere near Minna's level of productivity.

I'm actually reading your Mikkel's Secrets fic right now (at the expense of my history essay, but I'll do that later), just started the second chapter and I'm quite liking it so far. I love the idea of Mikkel as a secret agent - it fits with his mystery background, and gives him attention I feel he hasn't really gotten in the comic.

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 08:07:33 PM »
Writing an Adventure III is not a task for me but I would love to read others takes on it. Individually or collectively made.

SSSSFiend

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 11:15:07 AM »
What I personally need is not fanfic, but that Netflix buys the whole thing and makes a TV series of it. They did a good fantasy series with Shadow and Bone, they could easily do something awesome with SSSS.

They they are welcome to make more than two seasons. :-D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »
Well, that would also be fanfic, just more expensive kind :D
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

White_Tiger

• Sigrun enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 02:06:45 PM »
I'd love to see the crew animated. Who would voice which characters?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Who would voice which characters?
So ... many ... threads ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Maple

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 02:34:21 AM »
I have plans to write something! I'm working on finishing a fic for another fandom first, but after that I'm going to put myself towards writing an Adventure III fanfic.

As for what it is, I don't want to say too much yet. But it's going to be set in Sweden, and the main cast is going there together. (also because I'm a sucker for happy endings, all six of them will probably make it out of my fic alive.)

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »

Personally I don't think there would be an adv 3.  I think they'd split up.  It's one reason I'm okay with where SSSS ended.  It's a nice calm moment and feels like a national end to the crew.

I imagine Sigrun not being swayed by Sweden and going home. Reynir might realize that his only chance of getting anything resembling training is to go to Norway with Sigrun and working with the mages there.

Emil and Lalli may take the Swedish proposition or might just go back to being cleaners. It is possible Reynir would stick with them - although I want him to go to Norway. Onni would likely end up wherever Lalli goes, or else take on a new apprentice mage.

Mikkel I could see going either way.  I personally think it would depend on what the details are. I think he'd go with whoever he felt needed him most.   

If there was an adv 3, honestly I'd be disappointed if it was Sweden. I really, really, really want to see what the Norwegian military is like and specifically to see competent icelandic battle mages.

For an adv 4 - I'd really like a swedish one that's heavily atheist.  I would personally love for it to turn out that the mages aren't actually needed in Sweden and realize that it's not that the swedes ignore the gods' gifts - the swedes just honestly don't need them.

(Hrm okay so it might be interesting to see Reynir go through an atheist adventure before meeting a mage... Hmm.)

I don't know enough about Scandinavia to be comfortable even trying. Don't have the time/energy to research the geography and I'm kind of crap at it.

So if I were to write one, it would be based on the icelandic I studied and my years as a Heathen which were both more than a decade ago.

Which feels pretty terrible next to the fics by actual Scandinavians who double check details with their friends from other countries...

I'm not sure if this is the direction you're going -

But this comment made me think of how coldly Iceland killed all those refugees.

Some will likely have become trolls, and it's likely that the ocean surrounding Iceland is full of a lot of angry ghosts.

and if you've finished I hope you've shared it I'm having trouble navigating this forum on my phone right now.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »

this comment made me think of how coldly Iceland killed all those refugees.

Some will likely have become trolls, and it's likely that the ocean surrounding Iceland is full of a lot of angry ghosts.

I don't think dead people can become trolls; not if they die before symptoms progress too far. And once they become trolls, while they're harder to kill I think they stay dead if they die.

Angry ghosts, I don't know about. That does seem like a possible outcome. We don't know how many of them there would be, though -- the number of people who a) were able to get onto a ship capable of getting there and b) decided to head to Iceland, ignoring probable warnings especially after the first ship or two were met with gunfire and c) made it as far as the patrolled area might have been fairly small; but maybe I'm wrong and there would have been a lot of them.

And hi, dreki! Nice to see you here.