Author Topic: Ideas for new Boards  (Read 18796 times)

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
Re: Ideas for new Boards
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
Well, that link was misleading.

Right now, I'd say no to the idea. The way it's taking (making separate threads for each language), it'll just divide the community or spawn boards with no activity, and it'll feel too constraining.

Something more relaxed, a board for free discussion of foreign languages and cultures, where speaking a foreign language is actually encouraged, that's what came to my mind when I read multiligual; and that's something I might back.

Maybe we can get nordic or romance threads, learning threads for specific languages, history threads, or even vocaroo threads: Post something in your language, make a recording of yourself on other people's posts and link it to the thread for laughs, rating, learning and tip sharing...
Whatever comes.

I vote for this, and for cupcakes!

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 12:27:25 AM »

Right now, I'd say no to the idea. The way it's taking (making separate threads for each language), it'll just divide the community or spawn boards with no activity, and it'll feel too constraining.

Something more relaxed, a board for free discussion of foreign languages and cultures, where speaking a foreign language is actually encouraged, that's what came to my mind when I read multiligual; and that's something I might back.

Maybe we can get nordic or romance threads, learning threads for specific languages, history threads, or even vocaroo threads: Post something in your language, make a recording of yourself on other people's posts and link it to the thread for laughs, rating, learning and tip sharing...
Whatever comes.

Although it'd be a hell to moderate, user input and reporting would be useful here (both from reporter and reported, lest someone falsely accuses people for the sake of drama), and since such a board wouldn't necesarliy be related to SSSS or aRTD, we could make it a sub board on the General Discussion Board (Can I sugest Tower of Babel as a name?).

It seems I deleted some of the things I intended to say in the morning. So nex try:

I like your Idea and it seems a good solution. The name sounds good and every language can be tried at different topics :).

Also, Oktoberfest.

Off you go! ;) I can really scary stories of this event in the new board. Uach.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:06:37 AM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 01:41:29 AM »

Whatever comes.

Although it'd be a hell to moderate, user input and reporting would be useful here (both from reporter and reported, lest someone falsely accuses people for the sake of drama), and since such a board wouldn't necesarliy be related to SSSS or aRTD, we could make it a sub board on the General Discussion Board (Can I sugest Tower of Babel as a name?).

The thing is, do we realy need such a board (now)? The language exchange thread is far from crowded, and any potential multilingual board should be the next step to said thread. Let's give the community the chance to grow some more before we do something huge that we might not really need yet, or it'll probably end up dying from inactivity.

I voted no up in the poll, but I like Headfinder's suggestions.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
So I think that's a general consensus for Headfinder's idea. When do you think the new board will be ready? (Grrr, I never understood how to phrase English questions when they're double questions)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »
So I think that's a general consensus for Headfinder's idea. When do you think the new board will be ready? (Grrr, I never understood how to phrase English questions when they're double questions)
I would have phrased that the same way.  I use sentences that start with, "I think," as statements all the time.  I'll get started on it tomorrow, assuming I'm not mutilated, or otherwise unexpectedly interrupted, on the way home from work.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:12 AM »
I would have phrased that the same way.  I use sentences that start with, "I think," as statements all the time.  I'll get started on it tomorrow, assuming I'm not mutilated, or otherwise unexpectedly interrupted, on the way home from work.
Well, I was otherwise unexpectedly interrupted.  Felt pretty terrible after about 7:00, and couldn't do anything for a while.  Left a couple posts here today, but that was it.  I'll see about jumping on this tomorrow; I want it done quick, after all.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »
The board exists.
Feel free to PM.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
The board exists.

It seems to be going quite well so far, but I noticed that it seems to have trouble displaying certain alphabets. Fenris posted  something in rusian and it showed up as a lot of emoticons... Is there a unicode setting or something we can change? I haven't tried it yet with other things like Japanese or Korean...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
It seems to be going quite well so far, but I noticed that it seems to have trouble displaying certain alphabets. Fenris posted  something in rusian and it showed up as a lot of emoticons... Is there a unicode setting or something we can change? I haven't tried it yet with other things like Japanese or Korean...

It's the same problem with the "learning Russian" thread. The site doesn't display cyrillic characters and possibly anything that isn't normal latin alphabet (and it's variants, like æ, ä, å, ã, ?, etc.)

EDIT: apparently it doesn't even show all of the variants of latin characters!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:14:50 AM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
I haven't tried it yet with other things like Japanese or Korean...

I can confirm that Chinese characters don't show up either.

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
I can confirm that Chinese characters don't show up either.

same goes for anything under unihan, so japanese and korean are also a no go.

did some tests with latin extended-a, extended-b, and greek. i think we're restricted so far to the very first two sets, which are basic latin, and latin-1 supplement.
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
I'll play around with the language settings soon.  I know Russian is an option for the site, but I'm not sure if it will completely change over everything, or if there's a way to simply add an alphabet and characters. 
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
Just going to air an idea here: I know we've been consciously trying to keep the number of boards down. However, would it be an idea to consider a "Creative Content" board? There are loads of threads with lots of creative work going on, but unfortunately many of these may not get enough exposure where they presently are due to the growth of other threads.
This board would encompass all creative threads, primarily the fan art gallery, the general art gallery (or "museum"), the SSSS musical thread, the poetry thread and possibly the Nanowrimo-thread.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Just going to air an idea here: I know we've been consciously trying to keep the number of boards down. However, would it be an idea to consider a "Creative Content" board? There are loads of threads with lots of creative work going on, but unfortunately many of these may not get enough exposure where they presently are due to the growth of other threads.
This board would encompass all creative threads, primarily the fan art gallery, the general art gallery (or "museum"), the SSSS musical thread, the poetry thread and possibly the Nanowrimo-thread.
That would be nice. We could just put them into categories of Art, Writing, Music, etc., if that helps.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:31 AM »
Hey, Thor and Troll-Slayer:

Would it be possible to split off the later posts to "The Fate of Foreigners in Iceland" into a new thread?  Ideally called something like "Advanced Technology Speculation" because starting here,
http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=43.msg1091#msg1091, the conversation moves into speculating about whether the Known World has aviation, space flight, radio satellites, etc.

I keep thinking those topics have popped up on other existing threads, so I'll check.  I also wanted to bring in a long back-and-forth from ~p. 207 or so re: the state of radio communication in the Catmobile and its pros and cons vs. Mage-O-Phone. 

I'll make separate posts if I run into other thread segments I think would make sense as free-standing folders.  Would you rather I alerted you via a post in "Improvements" or DMs, vs. what I'm doing here?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: