Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31850 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #300 on: January 03, 2023, 05:00:29 PM »
I’m with dreki on this. The discussion related to the initial reading during / around the month doesn’t necessarily need its own thread, but if discussion keeps on going when the comic is continuing and people are continuing to read it, then a thread will be better than dropping comments about any and all of the comics in a jumble. Nevertheless it would be good to have the name of the comic mentioned in the open part even if all of the actual content of the message were spoilered.

Dmeck, you did make it clear Gifts is unclear :) So, we went in knowing, and it’s our own fault that we are now confused :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2023, 05:05:31 PM »
By the power instilled in me by my Mode Hat I have added the name of the comic on such recent messages (both my own and others’) that only had closed spoilers.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »
I’m with dreki on this. The discussion related to the initial reading during / around the month doesn’t necessarily need its own thread, but if discussion keeps on going when the comic is continuing and people are continuing to read it, then a thread will be better than dropping comments about any and all of the comics in a jumble. Nevertheless it would be good to have the name of the comic mentioned in the open part even if all of the actual content of the message were spoilered.

Dmeck, you did make it clear Gifts is unclear :) So, we went in knowing, and it’s our own fault that we are now confused :)

I don’t think it is needed a new thread.  We can always set up one later if needed.  I giggled at the statement that I made it clear that it was unclear.  Lol.  We have a new month and a new comic to look at.

I have read a lot of good comments about DOL, so I am going to try and start that
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2023, 05:19:20 AM »
The latest Tiger, Tiger update is *chefs kiss*

https://www.tigertigercomic.com/

For anyone who hasn't started it yet or isn't sure if it's worth catching up - in my opinion it is.  Be aware that within the archive there are a few pages with brief nudity and also sexual references. Nothing over the top and it's fairly short.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2023, 08:08:53 AM »
I'll have to check out the latest Tiger, Tiger update then!

Linebyline, I've just caught up on DoTL, and I have to say I've really enjoyed re-reading and seeing the new updates! It's good to know that such a good webcomic is updating again!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2023, 09:50:01 PM »
Oh, hey, I did that thing again where I read the new post notification e-mail but forget to read the new post and then don't get any notifications so I think the thread has just stopped updating. :P Anyway, the message I'm getting is I need to pick Gifts of Wandering Ice back up so I can read all the spoilered discussion.

On the subject of DoTL and its most recent page:
Spoiler: show
I wonder about Thistle being in the eye of the storm and saying, "I made it": Does she just mean she made it to the tree, which was supposed to be shelter? Or does she think the storm has passed? In the latter case, is she just not thinking clearly due to all the stuff she just went through, or does she legitimately not know that these storms have eyes? She's the most knowledgeable person about magic on Orrig's team, but she's still not an expert as we learned back when Wu accidentally triggered her RSD (rejection-sensitive Drath?). So this would be an interesting way to highlight that she's a nerd but there are still important things she doesn't know.

But I think she most likely meant the tree.

Okay, rereading it, it's blatantly obvious she meant the tree because the storm is still raging all around her. Leave me alone.

So who's got February?
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2023, 09:48:30 AM »
On the subject of DoTL and its most recent page:
I wonder about Thistle being in the eye of the storm and saying, "I made it": Does she just mean she made it to the tree, which was supposed to be shelter? Or does she think the storm has passed? [...]
Okay, rereading it, it's blatantly obvious she meant the tree because the storm is still raging all around her. Leave me alone.

I doubt that that's just the eye the storm has "naturally". The tree that's supposed to be shelter from its magical properties is sitting right there, I suppose that it creates this calm zone around it, which is thus fixed in place. Which is why all the wildlife knows to run straight there.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #307 on: February 02, 2023, 11:25:45 AM »
Indeed it is February! Who wants to go next?

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2023, 07:19:45 PM »
I have a pitch nearly ready in case there are no other takers, but I don't want to go twice in a row if anybody else wants a turn.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »
I was hoping to present a lovely little (and finished) piece, but there seems to be something wrong with the site. The pages open from the archive, but Next doesn’t work making reading tedious. So I guess I’ll wait and see if it comes back or if it’s actually in the process of going away.

So, I’m going to ask Linebyline to go for it again. It would be nice to get suggestions from several people, but it’s definitely a good thing you are keeping this alive!

So, with my sincere thanks, the floor is yours @Linebyline

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2023, 11:55:06 AM »
This time I'm pitching another completed comic, Immaterial by Sarah "Arts Angel" Ellerton. The print version is currently available for preorder, and sequel stories are in the works, but the story itself can be read in its entirety on Webtoon (see the comic page or go straight to the prologue) or her personal site (comic page, page 1).

You ever feel like lost items just vanish into another dimension? This comic takes that idea literally, and combines it with a sort of reverse velveteen rabbit effect. I probably couldn't explain it well even with spoilers. Our main character is Alex, a girl who grew up moving from place to place, and leaving her once-cherished items behind, so she swore off owning more stuff than she could pack into a suitcase. Tired of continuing to move with her mother, she moves in with her cousin Claire and meets her new roomate/deuteragonist/severely depressed recluse Ethan. Or at least his voice through the door.

Things get weird when Alex finds a weird ferrety rabbity creature guy with a jade teapot stuck on his head. She helps remove it but finds herself pulled with him into that weird dimension of lost things. The creature, our third main character Grimnir, quickly returns her almost where she came from. A failed attempt to climb down from the roof of her apartment building to her balcony a couple stories below leads to her meeting Ethan for real as he prevents her from plummeting to her death, with the help of another roommate. Not long after that, Alex finds that her time in that strange space did something to her, and she resolves to get back in to find out what happened and fix it.

I'll stop there lest I just spoil the whole story. That should be enough to whet your appetites.

I think the character writing in this is very strong. It's more realistic and down-to-earth than some of the other comics we've seen. There are still big personalities, but they're not written quite as broadly as the cast of Phantomarine, Daughter of the Lilies, or Tiger, Tiger. At least, the humans aren't. There is adventure, excitement, and danger--both in the regular world and the mysterious one--but the characters are the real heart of the story. And judging by the comic whose name is at the top of this forum and the ones that tend to get recommended in this thread, I think that's what we're all here for.

But what about the art? It's good. It has a more digital-painting look, more rendered than the comic-style and often cel-shaded stuff I've tended to recommend here. It gives the whole thing a very warm, cozy feeling that fits the comic's tone like a glove, or perhaps like a lost wool sock.

Here, have some samples, under spoiler for space reasons:

Okay, so that's why I think you should check it out. But why shouldn't you? Honestly the content warnings are pretty mild, but there still are a few:
  • Mild, uh, body horror? No transformation or anything, but some weird physics stuff that gets distressing.
  • More generally, some scary scenes that any SSSS reader will find tame, but you'll want to read them yourself before showing them to younger kids.
  • On that note, some suggestive dialogue in early chapters implies that sex is a thing that people do sometimes, though nobody is implied to do it during the comic.
  • Ethan is kind of awful early on, shooting down every last little bit of positivity that Alex has near him. I mean, yes, it's a combination of his depression and his meds, but it's still not a great way to talk to other people. If you've been treated that way I imagine you might not enjoy reliving it vicariously through Alex.
  • Does the dog die? Unclear. Gonna go wih "not exactly" but there is a "CRUNCH" you won't like.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 05:47:58 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

dmeck7755

« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2023, 06:53:59 PM »
I think/thought Immaterial was great.  I loved the art and liked the characters, Grimnir visually reminded me of Lempo in YIH.

I second line by lines recommendation.

I liked reading immaterial through its website.  (I sometimes have trouble using webtoons.  Line by line posted the links)

She may be doing a sequel
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 07:25:47 PM by dmeck7755 »

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2023, 10:55:26 PM »
According to this Mastodon thread, looks like QE is going to be Webtoon-native (and this in scrolling format), though she seems to be considering adding it to her site as well. In a different Toot, she adds:
Quote from: Sarah Ellerton | ArtsAngel (@artsangel@mastodon.art)
So I actually am writing a 'true' sequel to Immaterial, but it's in early stages, so QE will hopefully fill in that gap while I work on the script. QE is about the same length as Immaterial was, but my next thing is probably going to be a little more... epic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 10:16:53 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

dmeck7755

« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »
According to this Mastodon thread, looks like QE is going to be Webtoon-native (and this in scrolling format), though she seems to be considering adding it to her site as well. [utl=https://bytetower.social/@artsangel@mastodon.art/109814626395921220]In a different Toot, she adds:[/url]

Yipee!!

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2023, 03:11:23 PM »
Immaterial was lovely! Strongly reminded me of Ghibli movies. And something about Bone as well, especially the first junkbeast brought to mind the rat creatures. Thank you for sharing it, Linebyline!