General > General Discussion Board

Covid 19 - Thoughts and feelings

(1/33) > >>

Gwenno:
We're all worried and stressed at the moment, and well, that's completely normal considering the times. This thread is for talking about your thoughts and feelings relating to the Covid 19 pandemic.

(A thread for updating people on Covid19 developments in your area is also available here)

While I highly doubt it will be a problem, there is a lot of misinformation circulating at the moment relating to the virus, so please be very careful if you want to share anything beyond your own personal thoughts and feelings - thank you!

Unless it is specifically to vent your frustrations, please refrain from discussing conspiracy theories (even when you disagree with them).

Yastreb:
I'm keeping an occasional journal for these times, and my thoughts have included...

--- Quote ---This afternoon, returning from a supply run (such as it was, given that the only convenient supermarket has a one-of-any-item limit), I suddenly became aware of something that must have been at the back of my mind since the morning when I woke up to the first full day of lockdown - the silence.
The usual background hum of the city was gone. It's as quiet as a country town.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I am not going to see anyone I know face to face for who knows how long. It’ll just be their voices, or words in texts and on Skype or on Forums (and, I have to admit it, Facebook).
--- End quote ---

Extracts from a semi-facetious Skype chat:

--- Quote ---My GP thinks it likely that the lockdown and all that goes with it may well last six months.

After only four full days I'm having cabin fever moments.

I might well have overestimated my tolerance of my own company.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---[A friend]  is reciting conspiracist trolling about supposed Chinese perfidy. It goes something like this.
The Chinese unleashed COVID-19 (whether deliberately or by accident isn’t important), and they're waiting for the right moment to reveal their vaccine and “save the world.” The “evidence” seems to be what he’s discussed with “people.” He's gone from "What if..." to "When are they going to do that?" without anything in between.
--- End quote ---

Róisín:
That’s a scary idea, though I am unsure how likely it is. I have been hearing all kinds of stuff, from escaped bioweapon to chemtrails to an attempt to decrease the surplus population. I think most of it is ramlatch nonsense, and don’t think I know enough to posit a theory of my own, other than possibly a viral disease that has mutated and jumped species, whether by nature or by human tampering. Wouldn’t be the first time that has happened. I remain very sceptical about most of the theories. Wait and see, I guess.

For ourselves, we are okay so far, though I worry about how much time both of us have to spend at hospitals and other medical environments. And even with the continuation of weekly farmers markets, I am going to be taking a financial hit, especially since I just heard that the monthly markets I do have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. But folk still have to eat and buy vegetable seeds and perennial food plants, which is most of what I am selling at present. Oddly enough, also flowers - I sold out last Saturday, with people saying that it was lovely to be able to have a bit of colour and beauty and perfume among the general bleakness.

And I managed to organise with some young friends down in the city to do a shopping run for me, and to have the provisions delivered by another friend who had to come out this way to look after his horse, which is at a stable in our area. He couldn’t come in to say hello, more is the pity, because his wife is immunocompromised and he is being really serious about social distancing, but we managed to have a conversation from a couple of meters distance, which is good. And I now have a few things which I couldn’t get here, like a big bag of flour, tinned tomato soup, rice and three rolls of toilet paper, which I will probably save for husband since I am an old bushie and fine with leaves.

I worry about my family because they are scattered all around the world, but so far they survive. Alas, my nearest close relative is 600 miles away, and being a small farmer with a young family in a remote area he is unlikely to be going anywhere. But we survive.

Yastreb:
Conspiracism is a default setting for so many folk in recent years. Just about every mass shooting or incident of domestic terror brings forth the reflex cry of "False flag!" Even natural disasters are conscripted into that way of thinking at times (cf. the one who could blame the Boxing Day Tsunami on a carefully-placed nuke). As I told my conspiracy-trolling friend, "Diseases can just break out. Humanity has had to cope with epidemics throughout its existence. "

Purple Wyrm:
I've been working from home and self-isolating since Wednesday after coming down with what is probably just a cold. I'm finding it a bit difficult to get any work done because there are so many distractions and interesting things in my apartment! I'll have to knuckle down tomorrow I think though.

The main problem I'm running into is with time. I'm used to the rhythm of getting up and commuting into the office during the week, doing grocery shopping on Saturday, and relaxing for the rest of the weekend. Without that all the days are kind of running together. I'm not sure how that's going to work long term, but we'll see.

Last week's episode of the podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie has quite an entertaining survey of COVID-19 Conspiracy beliefs. A lot of people (myself included) have found it a bit of an amusing light in the current darkness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version