Author Topic: Characters You Most Relate To  (Read 4004 times)

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
Characters You Most Relate To
« on: October 31, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »
Hello!  Hopefully this isn't too weird of a set of questions, but I am curious..

Which character(s) do you most relate to?  Why?  Has it changed over the years due to in-comic character development and/or personal development?  Please share your thoughts!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Characters You Most Relate To
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
Not a weird question.

The two characters I most liked from the beginning were Lalli and Mikkel. I still do. Mikkel is the one with whom I would say I most identify, being a solid, stolid, unflappable and generally competent and practical person myself, and coming from a farm background. The more so since a lot of the jobs I have done down the years have involved being the support person for groups working in the bush. My own expertise, in real life, is bushcraft, wilderness survival and wild food, but unlike Mikkel I am a competent bush cook and a quite reasonable firstaider. I have taught bushcraft and foraging for decades, at first in term breaks from my actual job as a field botanist and botany lecturer, then when my job disappeared when my college lost funding in the GFC, as a more major part of what I do for a living. I’m now way past retiring age but still working because I have a mortgage and because I enjoy it. I don’t have the snarky sense of humour and the taste for practical jokes - but my husband does.

Lalli I like both because he is such a bushie, obviously closer to the land than to people, yet still loves his family and is loyal to his friends, and because he reminds me so much of several people I hold dear in real life.

It took me a long time to warm to Sigrun, because she reminded me far too much of someone I have had to work with in real life. That person was male, but was just as much of a type given to dashing full speed ahead whether or not they knew what they were doing, or how dangerous it was for the people around him. Sigrun eventually showed enough good qualities: loyalty, courage, supportiveness and concern for her folk - that I began to approve of her more, and now quite admire the character. I think she has grown in-story.

Tuuri also grew on me as the character developed. I disliked her weaselly side, but she had character and curiosity. I liked that, being myself somewhat of the ‘would follow an unanswered question over the edge of my own grave’ mindset. But I still think she should not have dragged Lalli into the expedition without informing him better.

Emil also annoyed me at first, the ‘bratty child of privilege and entitlement’ being a type that I find irritating, both in literature and in life. But I came to like him better as he showed that he was capable of kindness, concern, empathy and courage.

Reynir also came across initially as a careless fool, but improved with interactions with the other characters.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:12:02 AM »
With me being one of the aspies, Lalli is the definite number one due to him coming across as one. I also relate to Tuuri and Reynir in that the parenting styles of both Onni and Reynir's parents are basically less extreme versions of my own father's parenting style, and I can totally see my own coping and overcompensating mechanisms in Tuuri and Reynir. I think I also relate to Emil a little due to a general feeling of having been (and still being) sheltered from quite a few of the bad things happening in the world, and hence sometimes having a little trouble empathizing with people who haven't had that kind of luck as an adult. I'd also totally be him in a real "spending a few days living in the wilderness" situation. On top of that, one of the aspergers symptoms I'm hit with is realizing a certain thought may come across as insensitive exactly 0.5 seconds after having expressed it out loud (the beauty of forums is that you can "course-correct" without anyone being the wiser).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:39:39 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Temteno

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 04:04:44 AM »
I love everyone for their own merits, but they just hit some really soft spot in me. Generally Minna's characters feel very Scandinavian and Nordic which makes them all more relatable to me. I agree with Róisín that most of the characters grew on me with time and I didn't have immediate favorites (maybe Emil though).

Emil ended up being one of my favorites due to his strong empathy, kindness, patience with people and respecting their boundaries. We don't have that much similarities (in fact, I would hate him in real life) since he whines about small things. His strong empathy in an outwardly unconventional personality strucks me though. We both are people who get judged easily by our outward appearance just because we try at first to be something else than our empathetic selves.
Also the fact that we both try to sneak into some very introverted person's life and feel content when they smile and are comfortable around us.

Onni is very interesting one. He grew with time to me also and I remember being weirded out when one of my friends said that Onni was one of their favorite characters as he had such a minor role at the start.
But well, here I am and I would sell my soul for him.
Onni is stuck-up and believes that everything he does is for everyone's good and is hilariously serious about it. Being so seriously worried about Tuuri makes sense in his head, but it all comes across as pretty clumsy and awkward (see: Onni ready to crush Reynir. When Tuuri is mentioned, he drops immediately everything and is a mother hen again). I can't stress enough how much I relate to this!
His way of handling trauma is same to mine. Getting paranoid of everything, trying to keep it all inside and having hard time to open up to anybody other than his immediate family - and not even to them. Onni's fears are something he can't get over and if he tries, he gets paralyzed.

Onni's sibling relation with Tuuri (and technically Lalli - at this point he is to Onni like a sibling) really hits me. He is the oldest of the trio (!), the middle sibling is too reckless for him (!!) and he feels that the younger ones are his responsibility (!!!). He wasn't meant to be a parent figure to them, but then the tragedy happened. He tries his best and wants them to be happy, but can't provide the support he wants and/or doesn't know how to express himself and his fears.

Ah I just love them all so much, but these two hit me the hardest.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »
It's funny because, although I love all the characters, my absolute favorites (Lalli, Onni) aren't the ones that I relate to at all. I probably relate to Reynir and Tuuri the most: Reynir because I tend to go from "Overly optimistic! High energy! Let's do this risky thing because it seems fun before stopping to consider how dangerous it might be!" to "oh no oh no I screwed up I ruined things for everyone help" and then back again; Tuuri because of her passion and curiosity and her "Let's do this risky thing because I want to do it even though it's really dangerous."

Describing them that way doesn't really paint either of them (or myself) in a very good light, I realize, but those are the most obvious, heavy-handed ways in which I see myself in the SSSS characters. There are other traits that each character has which I admire and/or relate to (Emil's care for his friends, Onni's loyalty, Mikkel's humor and ability to take leadership when necessary, Sigrun's courage, Lalli's pride in his work), and I'm not like Reynir or Tuuri in all aspects of life, but there we are. Can definitely relate to them both.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »
Lalli, I relate to a lot for his bluntness and general approach to life.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
I agree with Mebediel (*high fives*) in that I’m most like Reynir and Tuuri, although maybe for slightly different reasons. Like Reynir, I’m way too naive, rush into things without thinking, and am generally very friendly and a bit airheaded. Like Tuuri, I LOVE languages and always want to learn more things and go places!
     As for my favorite character, Emil is my muffin and I love him to death but I would also probably never be friends with him in real life. I think I’ve learned the most from Mikkel, though: he has taught me that you can be optimistic without being overbearing or super high-energy, and that being solid and dependable can be really important.
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »
I agree with Mebediel (*high fives*) in that I’m most like Reynir and Tuuri, although maybe for slightly different reasons. Like Reynir, I’m way too naive, rush into things without thinking, and am generally very friendly and a bit airheaded. Like Tuuri, I LOVE languages and always want to learn more things and go places!
     As for my favorite character, Emil is my muffin and I love him to death but I would also probably never be friends with him in real life. I think I’ve learned the most from Mikkel, though: he has taught me that you can be optimistic without being overbearing or super high-energy, and that being solid and dependable can be really important.
*high fives back* How could I have forgotten the languages as another thing I relate to? Thanks for pointing that part of her character out :D
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kestrel

• Meow Meow Meow
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »
First off, my apologies for not replying until now.  And apologies that my replies are so short.  I've been reading everyone's answers but I haven't had the energy to respond.  It's been one of those weeks/months/whatever.

Róisín - Thank you for your reply! I am actually really fascinated with your bushcraft and botany history.  It sounds like an amazing field.  And I will admit your reply has made me appreciate Mikkel a bit more.  :))

Grade E cat - I was reading the thread about Lalli being on the spectrum.  It makes a lot of sense!

Temteno - Onni is a great character; I like him a lot.  And hey, maybe like in the comics, Emil would grow on you IRL if you were stuck in the woods with him.

Ragnarok - I am laughing at how not only did you say it with words, but you showed it as well.   ;)

Mebediel - I don't think you need to be exactly like a character to truly relate to their experiences and personalities.  I also don't particularly think the descriptions you gave were negative. (but maybe that's why I feel like I annoy people a lot. HAH!)

Alkia -Again, I really don't think there's anything wrong with those qualities. :P  Poor Emil, always a bridesmaid but never a bride. 

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:26:23 PM »
This is an interesting question! I think I relate to Emil quite a bit - I try to be kind and empathetic to others as much as possible, and although I didn’t have a particularly sheltered or pampered upbringing, I do have a habit of complaining about stupid small things when I’m annoyed, and am not huge on the whole risk-taking business. I also relate to Tuuri, being a bit of a scholarly, bookish type myself, and to Reynir as I can sometimes be a bit too enthusiastic, especially around new friends.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

gaelicheathen

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 10:50:15 PM »
Hello all!

My favorite character is Lalli, and he seems to be a common fav, but the character I most related to was his cousin, Tuuri. She was the most like me as person, curious, inquisitive, wanting a little adventure out of life, and a bit naive. Plus, on a different level it was nice to have someone with a similar body type to me be portrayed in a post-apoc story and it not being an issue or get in the way of them being a badass ❤️. Of the characters still in the story, the one I see more of myself in is probably Reynir, for a lot of the same reasons as with Turri, but with the added layer of my knowing exactly what being a part of a big family with lots of siblings is like (I have five sibs and oh so many cousins!). Though, I'm much more of a cat person than he is, and hopefully not quite as foolhardy :D

(I hope I'm doing this right, I've never really used forums before)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 12:47:44 AM »
gaelicheathen, have you yet visited the Introduction Thread?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 12:59:10 AM »
gaelicheathen, I think you're doing fine.

Not all discussion boards have an introduction thread; but as Róisín says, these boards do, so drop in there and say hi.

-- I like your comment about body type. One of the things I like about Minna's work is indeed that the characters are drawn fairly realistically, without the exaggerated, stereotyped, and usually anatomically impossible Very Male and Very Female figures in most comics.

I suppose if I had to pick one character as most identified with, I'd have to pick Lalli; because he's weird, and because he has trouble figuring humans out (I've gotten better at it, I think, but I was nearly as bad as Lalli when I was his age), and because he seems to fit better outdoors than indoors. But I like (other) cats a whole lot more than he does.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
Siv, since the question is who I identify with and not who my favourite is (it varies but tends to be Tuuri most of the time. Her defiance, bubbly enthusiasm and daydreams did that)
Except I'm not working in research right now, I have at one point (and might yet involve myself in research at some point). Also my husband is happily not an idiot like Torbjörn.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:05 PM »
This is a great question! Out of all the SSSS cast, I think I connect with Emil the most -- he's brave, loyal, sassy, and a bit naive due to his sheltered upbringing. I like his somewhat stuck-up attitude and how deeply he cares for his friends.

I also identif(ied) with Tuuri, particularly her curiosity, positivity and desire to break out of the confines of her small village and explore the world. She's smart, capable and a little reckless. (i miss tuuri...)