General > General Discussion Board

Rock Geeks

(1/15) > >>

amaranthineamusement:
... As in the science of geology, not the music, though I like that too ;)

I just really love looking at different outcrops around the world, and I know that minnions are all over.. so I figured I'd combine the two! I also think it'd be fun just to see if there are any other aspiring geologists/actual geologists on here. Feel free to use this thread to post pictures of outcrops, along with pictures of minerals, any discussion of geology, or any questions you might have (because sometimes ya see a weird rock and have no idea how it came to get that way :V )

Just a little background on me: I'm currently 2 years into a Bachelors of Science in Geology, and my uni is in California so I get to see a lot of fun tectonic stuff!

Also, to start this off, I figured I'd attach some pictures of pretty outcrops I've been at, so below the cut you can see basalt columns and some storm swale formations :P

Spoiler: show

Basalt columns from the front (they go all swoopy and fun, I love it!)

...Basalt columns from the top

And finally the storm swales, featuring my field notebook for scale. That poor thing has been EVERYWHERE.

So yeah! Please feel free to join in so I'm not lonely. I know you're out there ;)

Solokov:
If that's not devil's postpile I'll eat my hat.

Was going to go there last summer but the traffic at mammoth was insane when I got up there so I went bouldering on the giant pile of obsidian near glass Creek instead and grabbed some samples of obsidian pummice for my collection instead.

Cannot for the life of me find the sample of snowflake obsidian that's all pumicey though.

Not a geologist, rockhounding is just in my blood with two grandparents that were into it and a sub type of red Jasper sharing my family name.

Noodles:
Neat rocks! We've also got some cool columnar stuff around here, a whole bunch of the eastern half of Washington is on columnar flood basalt:

(vary in size, but generally on the order of magnitude of 50cm in diameter)

and there's a few really good outcroppings of columnar andesite at Mt Rainier, some of which you can see right from the road:

(about 10-20cm in diameter)

plus just generally it's an Exciting Geology sort of area on account of the volcanoes and stuff. Also, next quarter I'm taking Geology 101 and I'm super hype.

amaranthineamusement:

--- Quote from: Noodles on March 20, 2018, 10:06:24 PM ---Neat rocks! We've also got some cool columnar stuff around here, a whole bunch of the eastern half of Washington is on columnar flood basalt:

and there's a few really good outcroppings of columnar andesite at Mt Rainier, some of which you can see right from the road:

plus just generally it's an Exciting Geology sort of area on account of the volcanoes and stuff. Also, next quarter I'm taking Geology 101 and I'm super hype.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, go washington! I keep meaning to go up there but I keep getting stopped by those things called "school schedules" and "budget", quite rude tbh. It's so cool that you're taking an intro course, best of luck! And if you like it, you can always switch major

--- Quote from: Solokov on March 20, 2018, 09:42:46 PM ---If that's not devil's postpile I'll eat my hat.

Was going to go there last summer but the traffic at mammoth was insane when I got up there so I went bouldering on the giant pile of obsidian near glass Creek instead and grabbed some samples of obsidian pummice for my collection instead.

--- End quote ---

Your hat stays safe... because yes, that's devil's postpile ;) most dramatic pic of a geological formation I have lying around, it's so photogenic.

I've been to glass creek too! I've got my samples sitting on my desk but I'm too lazy to grab a picture right now, so we'll have to wait on that one :P Also, rockhounds are rad! I think in some ways geology is way more fun when I'm not having to be graded on it lol

Róisín:
Geology is always fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version