Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149829 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
Huh.  So IIUC, there's just more traffic than the site can currently handle?  And that's why we have to essentially "wait our turn" to get a socket connection, by refreshing several times?
Still nothing but a theory, mind. To put it into perspective, I'm standing behind Lalli right now, hear him shout "ONNI!" and an eerie voice answering "GO AWAY!", and guesstimate that Onni might be hard at work and has a bunch of (real world) customers waiting in line to get served.

If I looked up SYN, RST, and so forth via Google or glossary, would I get a usable definition?
Dunno ... In order to "open a (TCP) connection", as your browser tries to do, there needs to be a "three-way handshake" done. The client side sends a packet with no data and (only) the SYN flag set, the server replies with an (empty) packet with SYN and ACK(nowledge), and the client should reply in a timely fashion with an ACK (still empty if there's no data to be sent yet). From there on, packets get sent back and forth with ACK (and possibly PSH (push) for "urgent" data) set. When the time comes to terminate the connection, another three-way handshake is done, only with the intent being signaled with a FIN flag instead of SYNs.

RSTs (resets) terminate a TCP connection in an irregular manner and without a full three-way handshake, that's why all sorts of hard- and software that are not really one of the communicating parties - like firewalls or load-limiting mechanisms - throw those at the communicating parties (with "forged" sender and recipient coordinates, if need be) to cause them to drop (or stop initiating) the connection.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
I don't know about you, but my connection problems are gone, gone with the wind.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Yannick

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
could it be a pcriot problem (Web hosting service and not this forum) ?
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Eich, Clayres has forgotten his password and would like you to email him a replacement.  Thanks!

See the Discus comments from http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php#comment-1663105246
My one-and-only: :uk:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
Eich, Clayres has forgotten his password and would like you to email him a replacement.  Thanks!

See the Discus comments from http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php#comment-1663105246

Issue fixed, thank you, guys. I'll post that Lalli sketch tomorrow, because it's 11:41 pm here and I'm tired.
Also I'm female.^^
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

JoB

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
Also I'm female.^^
Note to self: Expand set of flag icons to gender flags, demand for methods of clarification beyond SSSS cast is confirmed. :P
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »
My one-and-only: :uk:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
Note to self: Expand set of flag icons to gender flags, demand for methods of clarification beyond SSSS cast is confirmed. :P
:D Could be helpful.

Sorries!
No problems reported here. ;)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

JoB

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
FWIW, I registered a temporary account today, with an e-mail address that points to a mailserver I have control over, and used the "send forum user an e-mail" function - that was little less than 4h ago. The mailserver on my side never even saw an incoming connection, much less the incoming e-mail. There's something gunked up before mails even leave PCRiot.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
So what was that thing yesterday with the entire forum missing? ???

JoB

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
So what was that thing yesterday with the entire forum missing? ???
IIUC the server (not the forum software) went into lockdown after finding that the admin hadn't logged in for some time.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
IIUC the server (not the forum software) went into lockdown after finding that the admin hadn't logged in for some time.
Aaaaaah. Thanks for explaining!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:57 PM »
Yep.  Eich said on Disqus:

It has everything to do with [being the 1st of the month].

No free trial ran out, or anything. I just didn't realize it was a requirement of the host site that I visit at least monthly. I haven't had cause to make a backup in a while, so I haven't been there. Now I know how to avoid it, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2014, 05:46:18 AM »
Thanks for posting that! I haven't been on Disqus over the weekend, so I wouldn't have seen it at all.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
Do we really need that profanity filter? So far I don't see many people trying to use profanities, but I do see regular words being mangled because the overzealous filter looks for spelling variations as well.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro: