Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149840 times)

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
Unintentional side-effect. Fixed. :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Unintentional side-effect. Fixed. :)

Glad you knew what was up there, because I was about to be hella confused. O.o

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2015, 03:59:15 AM »
Has anyone complained about images being really squished on phone version yet
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
This could just be that I have an old phone that runs an older OS, but when I am writing a reply and I insert a quote, it inserts the quote 3 times. I only hit the button once but for some reason I always get three of the same quote. It was a probelm even with the old browser format, but it seems to be getting worse and happens more often now.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2015, 07:33:32 AM »
Has anyone complained about images being really squished on phone version yet
I believe I can blame this on old phone browsers, the expected behavior (and what happens on decent browsers) is:
  • Images scaled down by specifying width scale down nicely to fit in the page, retaining dimensions.
  • Images scaled down by specifying height retain their size even when the page gets narrower than them, and spawn a horizontal scrollbar. I couldn't get the same nice resizing just with CSS in this case, and it's still better than getting them squeezed horizontally.
So, today's tip: If you can help it, scale down your images by specifying width! Mobile users will thank you. :)
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
I'm having some hitherto unseen issues with the new theme. The forum content is displaced towards the left. Or at least I think it's the new theme because when I log in and it switches to smf-default the problem disappears.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2015, 05:07:30 AM »
Now that is messed up.
What kind of browser are you viewing this in? Because on that picture either the browser is some dumb old one or some styles didn't load at all. (The second is more likely because that search field lacks all its styles.)
Have you tried turning it off and on again doing a hard refresh?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
Now that is messed up.
What kind of browser are you viewing this in? Because on that picture either the browser is some dumb old one or some styles didn't load at all. (The second is more likely because that search field lacks all its styles.)
Have you tried turning it off and on again doing a hard refresh?

Firefox. I checked this morning and the bug was still there but right now it's gone. Some minor glitch maybe?

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Announcement - Possible Hosting Upgrade
« Reply #398 on: July 29, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
So we may be running into some possible issues: the hosting account the forum is currently on might be getting force-upgraded some time in the next few weeks. This is a good thing and a bad thing. The new server will be faster, shinier, and easier to upgrade if we outgrow it. However, it will also probably result in bugs. Possibly a lot of bugs.

Needless to say I will be yelling at people on my end over this: it's gonna be a good idea to upgrade eventually, but I'd like to do that at a time when I know the new platform better and am more prepared to deal with any bugs that may arise. If I'm not successful... I'll let you guys know so that you'll be prepared. So this is just a heads-up.

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »
Hope this is the right place to post this....
Has any one had trouble with using the little bold/italic/etc buttons? they don't seem to work for me. Although it could just be my computer (recently upgraded to Windows 10?) as Flickr is also refusing to give me BBC codes to post photos here. :(
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »
Hope this is the right place to post this....
Has any one had trouble with using the little bold/italic/etc buttons? they don't seem to work for me. Although it could just be my computer (recently upgraded to Windows 10?) as Flickr is also refusing to give me BBC codes to post photos here. :(

I had a similar problem. Are you using the Edge browser? Because on Edge the code buttons don't work and you can't insert quotes. It's some sort of browser error. If you use chrome it shouldn't be a problem.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ParanormalAndroid

Re: Announcement - Possible Hosting Upgrade
« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »
So we may be running into some possible issues: the hosting account the forum is currently on might be getting force-upgraded some time in the next few weeks. This is a good thing and a bad thing. The new server will be faster, shinier, and easier to upgrade if we outgrow it. However, it will also probably result in bugs. Possibly a lot of bugs.

Needless to say I will be yelling at people on my end over this: it's gonna be a good idea to upgrade eventually, but I'd like to do that at a time when I know the new platform better and am more prepared to deal with any bugs that may arise. If I'm not successful... I'll let you guys know so that you'll be prepared. So this is just a heads-up.
Well, that's irritating- you don't get any choice?
What hosting service are you using, out of interest?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:33:50 PM by ParanormalAndroid »

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #402 on: August 12, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
I had a similar problem. Are you using the Edge browser? Because on Edge the code buttons don't work and you can't insert quotes. It's some sort of browser error. If you use chrome it shouldn't be a problem.
Ah, yes I believe I am using Edge. I'll ask my computer-guru father (aka the one who insisted on installing it) about looking into Chrome. Thank you!=D
Edit: Going through Internet Explorer, while it removes the "reply/notify/mark unread/send this topic" buttons at the bottom of the page, ultimately works with an ungodly amount of fiddling. -_-. Father you will hear from me! *shakes fist* >_<
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:48:30 PM by Silent Fox »
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #403 on: August 17, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature of SMF software...

I often use my browser history to reach this forum.  When I click on ssssforum.com, it shows me the un-logged-in Guest view.  Which is fine.  (I grumble about the few seconds' extra work to enter my ID and password, but it's all legit.)

--> BUT I just discovered Friday that if I click on any individual board from the Guest view, the page automatically logs me in, without my inputting my ID and password.  Can that be right?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I just discovered Friday that if I click on any individual board from the Guest view, the page automatically logs me in, without my inputting my ID and password.  Can that be right?
Any chance that you ever ticked the "Always stay logged in" box on the login form? Explicitly jumping to the login form might override your browser's having a perpetual access already at hand ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15