Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149832 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
and do you know how to fix it? it is kind of annoying I can't see any videos in the replies, but it downloads these files. (on laptop at least)
Okay I went and found the bit where Hushpiper talked about this...
Here's the two relevant posts:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=314.msg30705#msg30705
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=314.msg30907#msg30907

I could send her a PM and ask on the status of that fix, if you want?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #346 on: June 14, 2015, 07:45:52 AM »
Something's wrong with the search function, especially when searching for stuff in a single thread - it brings up only 50 results (a single page) in every thread. For example, try going to the fanart thread at the SSSS board and look up the names of the main characters.
It's definitely not a quirk of SimpleMachinesForum software, because there's no such problem at other forums running SMF.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #347 on: June 14, 2015, 09:53:58 AM »
I believe that's intended behavior:
If you're using the quick-search box on the right of the navigation bar when you're viewing a thread, it only searches the contents of that thread. When you use it from a board view, it searches that board, when you use it from the main page, only then it searches on the whole forum. If you want to search the whole forum for something, I recommend the dedicated search page.

Edit: Oh, now I see it... Lalli being mentioned only 30 times in the Art Museum is not possible... something is wrong here...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:01:02 AM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2015, 11:35:10 AM »
and do you know how to fix it? it is kind of annoying I can't see any videos in the replies, but it downloads these files. (on laptop at least)

Annoying, isn't it? Sadly there will probably not be a fix anytime particularly soon, since it would require custom PHP coding that's a bit above my knowledge. I'll be contacting the youtube embed extension's author and asking him about it at some point though. My apologies!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
Annoying, isn't it? Sadly there will probably not be a fix anytime particularly soon, since it would require custom PHP coding that's a bit above my knowledge. I'll be contacting the youtube embed extension's author and asking him about it at some point though. My apologies!
I'm getting the same issue on an Android tablet (Kindle Fire)- it happens with some embedded pictures too. I think it's something to do with the way the Android OS handles these embedded files, but I'm an absolute novice with PHP so I can't help I'm afraid.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
I'm getting the same issue on an Android tablet (Kindle Fire)- it happens with some embedded pictures too. I think it's something to do with the way the Android OS handles these embedded files, but I'm an absolute novice with PHP so I can't help I'm afraid.

Hmm, if you could point out a particular page that's doing that, and the name of the file that's getting downloaded, I'd appreciate that. It's probably something to do with flash, same as with the youtube thing, but I'd wanna confirm it's not a separate issue.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
Hmm, if you could point out a particular page that's doing that, and the name of the file that's getting downloaded, I'd appreciate that. It's probably something to do with flash, same as with the youtube thing, but I'd wanna confirm it's not a separate issue.
Okay, so I tested it on page 2 of the 'Music in Your Language' thread (https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=489.msg42164#msg42164)
A download prompt came up for every video, and when I clicked 'confirm' it downloaded a .swf file for each video.
These were in the format, for example, Gsdp2zSCjY.swf, where the video linked here:
was concerned, so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x would give me x.swf.
Seems to be that the unique identifying part of each for the embedded Youtube videos was encoded as a .swf file on my tablet, but I don't have the slightest idea why.
Clicking on the files just gave me a generic 'cannot open file' message, and I still couldn't open the videos (they showed up as blank spaces), plus I was spammed with download requests again. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.
Okay, so I've also noticed that some of the images (such as some flags in people's signatures, and weirdly every one of the formatting buttons for when you post a reply, showed up as generic 'image not found' pictures, but were still usable.
I don't have a clue why all this happened, but I assume it's some quirk of the particular brand of Android used on the Kindle Fire.
EDIT: After googling .swf files, they appear to be related to Flash. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF)
I'm assuming that embedded Youtube videos use Flash and the OS didn't like it, or misinterpreted them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:43:18 PM by ParanormalAndroid »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #352 on: June 18, 2015, 05:45:23 AM »
.swf are shockwave flash files.  Should be able to play them through web browsers and some media players, that said it is a file type that doesn't get used much outside of online videos so don't be surprised if there are problems playing it without downloading codec packs.

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #353 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
I dunno how to fix on tablet, but I accidentally fixed on laptop, which had same problem. I just downloaded adobe flash????

but I dunno what to do with tablet. it can open youtube vids, but not if it is embed on the forum.....
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I am unsure it is a bug or not, but I turned of the email notifications (I guess) but i still get emails, how can I turn it off then, if that does not do anything? can you fix that?
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
I am unsure it is a bug or not, but I turned of the email notifications (I guess) but i still get emails, how can I turn it off then, if that does not do anything? can you fix that?

Are you unsure if you actually turned off the e-mail notifications?  Would you mind trying it again, and tell us what you did?  Screenshots would help.  Thanks!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
Are you unsure if you actually turned off the e-mail notifications?  Would you mind trying it again, and tell us what you did?  Screenshots would help.  Thanks!
well, thanks, I went back, all settings were right, but for some reason, one topic was added to send me notification (I also realized why only from that topic I kept getting emails since i turned it off)
I deleted that and now hopefully it is okay. if not, I will tell.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #357 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:29 AM »
Ok I don't know if this is just me or what, but instead of the little green squares next to people's names when they are online I see little german flags. Also for some strange reason the little green square is showing up as one of the happyfaces. I am currently viewing on safari on my iphone 4 if that helps any. I took screen shots but I can't post pictures from my phone easily.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
Ok I don't know if this is just me or what, but instead of the little green squares next to people's names when they are online I see little german flags. Also for some strange reason the little green square is showing up as one of the happyfaces. I am currently viewing on safari on my iphone 4 if that helps any. I took screen shots but I can't post pictures from my phone easily.

Hmm, I'm not seeing the problem on my iPhone 4.  Have you tried refreshing the browser?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2015, 10:43:29 AM »
Hmm, I'm not seeing the problem on my iPhone 4.  Have you tried refreshing the browser?

Yes. They're still there. I'm going to see if anything happens when I take off the internet. Also some profile pictures are switched. Ana has Haiz's picture and Ana hasn't changed her profile pic. I was just talking to her.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help