Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149902 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
I usually type the url into the browser (firefox).
That invokes autocompletion, and IIUC Firefox prefers to autocomplete into the most frequently used URL, which may change. Or do you ignore the autocompletion and type the entire thing?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
No such effect here, I always end up on the same page you get when clicking "Home" in the top bar, the topics list with the grey/red SSSS logos. (I would prefer being taken to the "Show unread posts since last visit" page directly, but that's just one click, anyway.)

How do you get to the login page in the first place? Never-changing bookmark, or some other method? Could you try deleting all cookies for the forum site, just in case?

Can't be that, happens on the incognito browser I use at work.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
Quote from: JoB
That invokes autocompletion, and IIUC Firefox prefers to autocomplete into the most frequently used URL, which may change. Or do you ignore the autocompletion and type the entire thing?

At home, I use autocompletion from time to time, but at work I type the whole URL.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »
Can't be [cookies], happens on the incognito browser I use at work.
At home, I use autocompletion from time to time, but at work I type the whole URL.
... 'fraid I'm stumped for the moment, then. :(
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
This may be either a bug or an, ah, "undocumented feature."

I was trying to track down one of my 100s of PMs containing a certain word -- let's say "skald."  I ran the search feature in the PMs, and it showed me half-a-dozen messages containing that word.  I recognized the message I wanted, and clicked on it. 

It refused to open the message, saying "You don't have access to this part of the forum."

However, when I went back back through time (e.g. 6 screens out of 15) and found the message manually, it opened just fine.

Is there some reason why I wouldn't be able to open a message directly from Search Results?

If that *is* a known behavior of SMF, no biggie.  I was just wondering whether this is yet more evidence of how overburdened our current server is.  (The Forum loads reeeeallly sloooowlllly for me.  And from time to time I get the "cannot display b/c resources are overloaded" error message.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2015, 12:12:23 AM »
This may be either a bug or an, ah, "undocumented feature."

I was trying to track down one of my 100s of PMs containing a certain word -- let's say "skald."  I ran the search feature in the PMs, and it showed me half-a-dozen messages containing that word.  I recognized the message I wanted, and clicked on it. 

It refused to open the message, saying "You don't have access to this part of the forum."

However, when I went back back through time (e.g. 6 screens out of 15) and found the message manually, it opened just fine.

Is there some reason why I wouldn't be able to open a message directly from Search Results?

If that *is* a known behavior of SMF, no biggie.  I was just wondering whether this is yet more evidence of how overburdened our current server is.  (The Forum loads reeeeallly sloooowlllly for me.  And from time to time I get the "cannot display b/c resources are overloaded" error message.)
With a message like that, it's probably forum related.  If it persists after the move, could you let me know?
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
"Domain Document Root Not Found"
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2015, 02:48:11 AM »
I've gotten this error message (screenshot below) 6-7 times in the last 15 minutes.  It crops up when I try to visit a new board or go back to the forum's Home.

It usually goes away after I refresh once or twice.  (Or I wouldn't be posting now...)
Hopefully, it's just a sign of lack of capacity and will go away once we move servers.

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:48 AM »
I just got the very same error message when I tried to login. After refreshing two times, it vanished and I could access the forum. Hm...
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Testing testing.  I was trying to post on the regular SSSS board and kept getting errors.

Edit:  Yep, just happened again:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:33:33 PM by Mayabird »

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #324 on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
This is the webhosting company's anti-spam feature at work. Their servers intercept our posts even before the forum software sees us, and if they don't like what we are posting it throws back the "you don't have permission ..." error message.

Things that trigger it are large numbers of links, and a lot of spammy words such as v1agra, pn1cillin, and so on. If you search this tread you will see some more examples.

Try posting just the beginning of your message, then edit it to add more bits until you get the error. The last bit you add will be the bit the anti-spam doesn't like! (But what you posted before will still be there.)
My one-and-only: :uk:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #325 on: April 10, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
Is there still a move to another host planned?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Yes, but it depends on volunteers working out how to run the transition to the new server and software version, which is taking time. Hushpiper has been running many dummy-runs of the process and is getting there, but has been quiet for a while, due to "real life has been bonkers".
My one-and-only: :uk:

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
I see now.  Thanks, Richard Weir!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
So, Sunflower posted in the comments how the Forum's local time is supposed to match your location, but mine has always been EST/EDT, though I'm decidedly in CA. Is this me not using it right, or what?

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
So, Sunflower posted in the comments how the Forum's local time is supposed to match your location, but mine has always been EST/EDT, though I'm decidedly in CA. Is this me not using it right, or what?

Have you set the time offset among the settings? If you haven't, go to Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout. It's right there, you can auto-detect the time zone.
(If you've done that already, sorry for the useless post)
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany: