Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149804 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #300 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
My favourite is this though:
The cat's there to implement blackhole routing for IPoAC? :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

victrixia

« Reply #301 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
The cat's there to implement blackhole routing for IPoAC? :P

XDDDDD yes.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
508 Resource Overload error code
« Reply #302 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »
I've gotten the 508 error twice now, once yesterday and then just now. 

Growing pains, I'm sure.  In a way, this is good -- a sign of our expanding popularity.  But before long we may need to form a bucket-brigade to help Eich expand and/or move our host site.

I don't remotely have the tech skills to be useful, but does anyone else?  Our Admin and his two "right-hand warriors" are really short on free time right now.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

victrixia

« Reply #303 on: February 19, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »
I've gotten the 508 error twice now, once yesterday and then just now. 

Growing pains, I'm sure.  In a way, this is good -- a sign of our expanding popularity.  But before long we may need to form a bucket-brigade to help Eich expand and/or move our host site.

I don't remotely have the tech skills to be useful, but does anyone else?  Our Admin and his two "right-hand warriors" are really short on free time right now.

Alright, good of you to post the error message too, so basically this really is what I first suspected and not the other option ('Infinite loop' - those happening on their own would be bad code :P ). If this starts to be a recurring issue, you can look into switching hosts or getting a larger package - but those tend to cost more money, too. Still, it wouldn't hurt to look into competing options. You'd just have to have some statistics of your general server load, the peaks, and what your host package entails right now and at what price. Moving hosts is a big operation, though by no means undoable.

If this was just a regular site and not a forum, I would look into tweaking the code so the end user gets more stuff cached and save resources that way, but by the way comments behave I get the feeling that's what's already happening. Then again there might be other ways to do that as well, but I'm not yet so familiar with those ^^

Anyway, while the error is annoying, it won't break anything, it just tells your visitors that they have to wait a bit outside while other customers get too drunk and have to be tossed out no wait -
I don't suppose there's the option of attaching custom messages to whenever your host returns an error status code? I've definitely seen those sometime, would help people understand what's going on.

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »
just got an error 508 too D: it was horrible
(fortunately it didn't last, It worked again as soon as I refreshed)

too many SSSS fans for the forum's good :'( ;D
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

jayen_aitch

• Herder of Cats
« Reply #305 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
I sometimes get emails about my interests from the forum, which sounds exciting. When I click the link it's never that interesting, because it says: Table 'achamber_ssss.smf_settings' doesn't exist

I don't think I have an interest in that anyway.
speaking: :uk: • :sweden: • :france: (a bit)
writing: :uk: • :sweden: (practice needed)
comprehension: :uk: • :sweden: • :norway: • :denmark:
working on: :finland: • :sweden: • :portugal: (mostly just some very specific technical terms and some song lyrics)

JoB

« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
When I click the link it's never that interesting, because it says: Table 'achamber_ssss.smf_settings' doesn't exist
Something tells me that it's the future server, which is currently in its setup and testing phase, that sends you those e-mails ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
Probably the new server, yes. Although it's funny, that table does exist--perhaps you happened to click the link while I was fiddling with the database. Anyway, we'll look at that closer after the move, if it persists.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Is it just me, or Owl's kittie (that adorable furball) suddenly turned into some scheme? Same result when I check from my computer and my phone.

It may be some little bug that will disappear soon, perhaps?
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Is it just me, or Owl's kittie (that adorable furball) suddenly turned into some scheme? Same result when I check from my computer and my phone.

It may be some little bug that will disappear soon, perhaps?
That's... oddly specific.  I'm still getting a picture of the cat. 

At first glance, I thought this was a picture of something I had a test on yesterday.  o_o
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2015, 04:59:37 PM »
That's... oddly specific.  I'm still getting a picture of the cat. 
At first glance, I thought this was a picture of something I had a test on yesterday.  o_o

The cat is back now. Fake alarm, seems to be. Sorry for disturbing  :P
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this and it is not a major bug but...

Every time I log in for the past couple of days once logged in I am taken to a (seemingly) random thread, rather than the forum homepage.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:29 PM »
Yes, that happens to me too from time to time. It is usually not a totally random thread I am taken to, but one with new replies. Apart from that I haven't found out a pattern yet.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

JoB

« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »
Every time I log in for the past couple of days once logged in I am taken to a (seemingly) random thread, rather than the forum homepage.  Has anyone else noticed this?
No such effect here, I always end up on the same page you get when clicking "Home" in the top bar, the topics list with the grey/red SSSS logos. (I would prefer being taken to the "Show unread posts since last visit" page directly, but that's just one click, anyway.)

How do you get to the login page in the first place? Never-changing bookmark, or some other method? Could you try deleting all cookies for the forum site, just in case?

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
I usually type the url into the browser (firefox). And I don't think it has something to do with cookies because my cookies are deleted after each session.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat: