Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149919 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #660 on: May 02, 2022, 08:23:49 AM »
Suggestion: If we cannot change the structure or make fields optional, can we at least rename the fields?

Instead of "prologue" we could have "None" or "non-SSSS", and then let prologue images remain there, or move them to chapter 1, that could be renamed "Chapter1+prologue".
Likewise, instead of "unknown characters" we could have "Others" or "non-SSSS".

Not a perfect solution, I know... but an improvement.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #661 on: May 03, 2022, 06:53:42 AM »
I agree - the reaction image hoard does need some updating! I do not actually know how to edit the reaction image hoard, but I'll have a poke around and I can always ask one of the other admins (lovely folk like Hushpiper who don't always come online frequently anymore but who know how to fix things that I don't) if they know how to edit it.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #662 on: May 07, 2022, 04:04:26 AM »
Wow, you can't see it, Keep?  Amazing. 

I've gotten the hang of adding images (including having a screenshot of the existing categories there to avoid duplication/redundancy). 
One thing I learnt the hard way and have yet to go back and fix: the size of the image at the time of uploading is the size it will be, even if you subsequently change its size at the source.

This may not be the place for it, but how I'd structure the Reaction Image search sidebar menu:

Character tag - the main 8 each get their own (Tuuri, Lalli, Emil, Sigrun, Onni, Mikkel, Reynir, and Kitty)
The Quartet
Prologue characters
Family members of the SSSS crew (arguably the Prologue characters can go in here too)
Supernatural beings / Trolls / Beasts
Other SSSS characters
Other Minna Sundberg
Other

Source - unspecified, or
SSSS Prologue
SSSS Adv. 1 & 2
Other Minna Sundberg
Other media

Then a comma-delimited keyword search (as it is now).  Maaaaybe also a box of 'Popular keywords' that contains a drop-down list of any keywords with more than x number of entries, such as cake, blep, Sleipnope, etc)

The 'other Minna Sundberg' leaves scope for ARtD, CoH, one-off art, LP, the newer comics, etc.

For the emotions, I would consider paring it down considerably and installing a drop-down list, with up to 5 choices per entry.  You really could bundle anger, upset, chagrin, distressed and offended under 'upset', or bundle nice, supportive, smiling, happy, joy, enthusiastic and excited (probably more) under 'positive' or 'happy'.  Then choose the image you think fits best.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #663 on: June 18, 2022, 08:52:34 AM »
Is anyone else experiencing loads of ”this site is currenlty unavailable” with he Forum? I am, but I don’t know if it’s my end or the Forum’s, I haven’t had time to surf anywhere else.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #664 on: June 18, 2022, 08:59:39 AM »
Is anyone else experiencing loads of ”this site is currenlty unavailable” with he Forum? I am, but I don’t know if it’s my end or the Forum’s, I haven’t had time to surf anywhere else.
Yes.
I thought it was my VPN, but tried a few different networks and th same thing.  Today seems pretty good (so far)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #665 on: June 18, 2022, 09:12:43 AM »
Yes! Over here, I get the "unavailable" quite often, but sometimes the page still loads, right after. Also, when I tried to post my Forum prompt response, it took several tries for it to go through. (Lucky I had it in a doc rather than writing into a comment.) I think JoB mentioned one of his comments getting eaten, as well.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #666 on: June 18, 2022, 07:50:29 PM »
I'm having it too, but also on several other sites. So it's probably a general problem.
(One can guess there's a lot of cyberwarfare going on these days, with widespread effects...)

EDIT: Meanwhile I watched carefully and it seems the Forum is particularly affected... :(
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:26:17 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #667 on: June 18, 2022, 11:59:14 PM »
My page has loaded just now, but just a few minutes ago it wasn't loading, yeah. I've just been blaming it on my own internet (it's a bit stormy right now, and that sometimes makes the internet go bad), but if it's affecting a lot of people then it'd be an issue with the sites themselves.

I have noticed that my ao3 and tumblr have been struggling to load sometimes, even when other sites are loading fine, but if it's affecting the forum particularly badly I can try and see what can be done about it.

(edit: in fact, it's acting up as I'm trying to post this comment)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #668 on: June 19, 2022, 12:10:29 AM »
Also - I was quite busy with uni for the last few weeks and so dropped off on worrying about the reaction image hoard (since it's fairly low-priority), but it's semester break now so over the next few weeks I'll have a look and see what I can do to re-organise it - turns out I have to do that by going into the code of the site itself, which from prior experience is quite fiddly. But hopefully we'll have a better image hoard soon!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #669 on: June 20, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »
Alrighty! I've talked to Hushpiper about the 'server unavailable' issues the forum's been having - it's an issue with the host of the site, so in order to resolve it, if it doesn't resolve otherwise, we may have to move the forum's hosting.

I've noticed today going on the forum that I haven't experienced any issues so far, so potentially the host may have resolved the issue themselves already. However, if you guys are still experiencing issues please let me know so that we can get this sorted.

Ruler of Changi Airport

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #670 on: June 21, 2022, 01:23:22 AM »
Hi Keep!
I had no issues for a while. Seems the host did it's homework! :)
Many thanks for Looking after it and for trying (together with our dear Wave) to make the reaction hoard better.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #671 on: August 04, 2022, 02:30:38 AM »
Howdy folks!

Sorry for the long wait (I've had a weirdly large amount of stuff going on in my life, haha) but I've finally updated the reaction image hoard!

Ruler of Changi Airport

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #672 on: August 04, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
I've finally updated the reaction image hoard!
... is it just me (and my FF 103.0 on Linux), or has it become impossible to search for anything other than by hitting "Load all Images" and eyeballing the entire list?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #673 on: August 04, 2022, 07:08:08 AM »
Yep, same with me. Something’s amiss.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #674 on: August 04, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
... is it just me (and my FF 103.0 on Linux), or has it become impossible to search for anything other than by hitting "Load all Images" and eyeballing the entire list?

Oh, no, that's not great. Yeah, that's not working on my one either. I must've bumped something in the editing process! I'll see what I can do to fix it over the weekend.

Ruler of Changi Airport