Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149827 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #630 on: March 29, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »
Tarnagh, that’s offically known as the Demo Effect. Sometimes it materializes by causing a malfunction when you are about to demo something. But even more prevalent occurrence is things working when you are trying to show someone that it doesn’t.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #631 on: March 29, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »
Tarnagh, that’s offically known as the Demo Effect. Sometimes it materializes by causing a malfunction when you are about to demo something. But even more prevalent occurrence is things working when you are trying to show someone that it doesn’t.
If it's any consolation, it's not working properly anyhow. I'm noticing that once I've set it for night mode, it works fine until I close the browser ... which is why I thought it was fixed before.

I just have to reset it every time I open the browser again. Ah, well. I can live with it. :)
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #632 on: March 29, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »
If it's any consolation, it's not working properly anyhow. I'm noticing that once I've set it for night mode, it works fine until I close the browser ... which is why I thought it was fixed before.

I just have to reset it every time I open the browser again. Ah, well. I can live with it. :)

There is one more thing you can try. If you go to profile: modify profile: look and layout, the first option says current theme, and you can click change and there are a few options you can choose from. That should put night mode as your preference and then it would remember it every time you log in.

Unfortunately there are a few wonky theme things that need to be fixed, but will have to wait until the next version of SMF is released, and it's still in beta mode for the time being.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #633 on: May 10, 2021, 03:26:15 AM »
Two minor things:
  • The User Help Page still tells us to insert flags with the country name,, e.g., ":germany:" (→ :germany:), rather than the two-letter code, ":de:" (→ :de:).
  • A number of links in the pinned "Important Information" thread are broken because they're still using the forum's old hostname "ssssforum.pcriot.com". (I suppose that that's not actually limited to that one HowTo thread, either.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #634 on: May 10, 2021, 09:05:33 AM »
Two minor things:
  • The User Help Page still tells us to insert flags with the country name,, e.g., ":germany:" (→ :germany:), rather than the two-letter code, ":de:" (→ :de:).
  • A number of links in the pinned "Important Information" thread are broken because they're still using the forum's old hostname "ssssforum.pcriot.com". (I suppose that that's not actually limited to that one HowTo thread, either.)

Thanks for letting us know!

The help page is incredibly frustrating to update becuase it's hard coded into the site and the only way to change it is by updating the code. I have a number of things I need to fix on it, but it's on the list of things to do during the reorganization.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

JoB

« Reply #635 on: May 11, 2021, 02:28:42 AM »
The help page is incredibly frustrating to update becuase it's hard coded into the site and the only way to change it is by updating the code.
... change the menu bar instead and have the "Help" entry point to a topic/post for easier editing, then ... ? ;)

(Speaking of the menu bar, I suppose that the link to www.hummingfluff.com doesn't match "City of Hunger" anymore, either ...)

ETA: Of course, replacing the Help page with a plain posting will sink all hopes of ever again having it auto-adapt to a user's preferred language, but it seems that the account settings offer only English and Finnish, anyway ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:50:24 AM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #636 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:22 PM »
Oh, goodness, my dad used to be a system administrator, he worked with servers for some company and he had tons and tons of stories of how people would call him and some of his colleagues about problems with their computers and the moment they called everything started working perfectly well!
He still has the power over some electronic devices. Most of the time it's enough for him to just come close to something that doesn't work and it forgets its problems and runs without any issues o_O O_o
And things not working when you want to show them to other people?.. I think that's the curse of humanity :'D We are doomed to fail every time we demo anything...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:18:54 PM by Annuil »
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

JoB

« Reply #637 on: July 30, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
Please try to join the 18+ group without setting a birth date first. It seems to (now?) have worked for me, too ...

(On the page to enter your birth date, did you notice the "Change profile" button to the lower right to actually submit your changes?)
1. I tried that, and I'm off limits.
2. I know you're being thorough... Yes, I used that button each and every time. And it never worked. The birthdate will not change.

ADDITIONAL: I followed the link in JoB's email and I'm in the Mature Group... but my birthdate hasn't been changed still.

Puzzling!
I can confirm that even if my profile settings page reports "Your profile has been updated successfully" in green, my birth date remains 0001-01-01 (instead of the test values I entered, e.g., 2001-11-11).

... probably quite good that people now can join the 18+ group without the background check. (Or did I really pass as a 2+-millennia-old when I tested the join/leave functionality? ;) )

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #638 on: July 30, 2021, 06:45:57 PM »
Membership to the 18+ group doesn't look at your birthday. There's currently no way to assign member roles based on birthdays. If you join and we find out you're lying you get kicked out. It's an honour system to keep us legally obsolved but like most websites you can fake it. There's not much we can do about that.

@Yastreb if you're having trouble joining still I can assign you to the group.

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #639 on: July 30, 2021, 09:57:12 PM »
@Yastreb if you're having trouble joining still I can assign you to the group.

Thanx for the thought, but I made it there. The irony is that after some thought, I realised that the chapter I posted wouldn't be the proper first chapter in any event.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

JoB

« Reply #640 on: November 29, 2021, 07:58:14 AM »
FYI (Róisín herself remains unfazed), it seems that she cannot see all the threads anymore, as the Birthdays one in particular is missing / gives her an error; see details in this post and the replies thereto.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #641 on: November 29, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
FYI (Róisín herself remains unfazed), it seems that she cannot see all the threads anymore, as the Birthdays one in particular is missing / gives her an error; see details in this post and the replies thereto.

Alrighty. That sounds like it might be an issue with the roles (eg. the new fancy post count role she has) - I'll see about getting it fixed.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #642 on: November 29, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »
Thank you thank you, whoever fixed this! It now seems to be working again. Yay!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #643 on: November 30, 2021, 01:35:08 AM »
Thank you thank you, whoever fixed this! It now seems to be working again. Yay!

I'm glad that my somewhat slap-dash fix actually worked!! Welcome back to the personal boards.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #644 on: November 30, 2021, 03:50:23 AM »
Thank you again ! Glad to be back!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!