Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149819 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #615 on: December 19, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »
OK, let's see what happens when I actually "Post" this ...
OK, seems to be tinsel golden. ^-^ Lemme experiment some more ...

The center-in-titled-spoiler combo certainly yields interesting failure modes. I've seen one instance (that I cannot reproduce offhand anymore) where properly balanced tags yielded a working spoiler (with non-working centering inside), followed by "[/spoiler]", as if I had put in an extra closing tag ...

If you want to center everything inside a titled spoiler, it seems to be a sorta-acceptable workaround to put the [center] around the [spoiler] (it seems to only change the title, which is suddenly - but unsurprisingly - centered as well):
Spoiler: foo • show
bar

FWIW, all the "alignment" tags fail in that way, while the IMHO next-closest relatives (pre, sup, sub, tt) work:

[left]bar[/left]
[center]baz[/center]
[right]org[/right]
one

2two
3three
4four

PSA: Do not use the "Toggle View" button while doing such experiments, it will royally hose the tags in the text you typed so far. >:(
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #616 on: December 19, 2020, 04:35:03 AM »
The center-in-titled-spoiler combo certainly yields interesting failure modes. I've seen one instance (that I cannot reproduce offhand anymore) where properly balanced tags yielded a working spoiler (with non-working centering inside), followed by "[/spoiler]", as if I had put in an extra closing tag ...
Ah, this was how (extra tag - here, a [b] - around the [center]):

[center]bar[/center]

[/spoiler]
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #617 on: December 19, 2020, 04:47:20 AM »
P.S.: [table]s inside titled spoilers are totally broken, too:
Spoiler: show

lone table cell

Spoiler: now b0rken • show

[table]
[tr]
[td]lone table cell[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #618 on: December 19, 2020, 05:33:35 AM »
Also the horizontal line breaks like that, I noticed in my Advent Calendar piece where there is just bracket hr bracket between the story and the notes. Computers are weird.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

« Reply #619 on: December 19, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »
Oooookay. There's no [spoiler] tag in the baseline SMF installation, you have to add a mod for it, of which there currently are nine officially registered ones. It seems that ssssforum uses this one, because the "{params} section" works as documented there.

Now, a bit of magic ... :
Spoiler: this spoiler is broken • show

[left]left[/left]
[center]center[/center]
[right]right[/right]
[hr]
[table]
[tr]
[td]table[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Spoiler: this spoiler WORKS : show

left
center
right

table

Visible difference: Colon ":" instead of a bullet before the "show"/"hide" "link".
Source difference:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler quote=": title text "]instead of
Code: [Select]
[spoiler=title text]

Edit to add: ... I'm still curious what the "log" flag does. [...]
... OK, it doesn't work at all. Probably for the better. :3
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:19:24 AM by JoB »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #620 on: December 19, 2020, 11:53:25 PM »
Whoa

Research ftw, my good sir
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #621 on: January 21, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »
Did I get this right that this is the right place to report website-problems?
Lately I´ve been continuously getting a bug where the little red "new"-sign on threads where I haven´t read some messages yet just disappears, without me having clicked on the thread. Usually after I clicked on one, all the other ones or at least the one directly below it are gone. They reappear most of the time if I completely go back to the home-page and come back, but then it happens all over again. Is someone else running into this issue too?
It´s really not that big of a problem, just kind of annoying sometimes.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #622 on: January 21, 2021, 02:31:28 PM »
I've seen that happen too, but I always thought it was the difference between 'unread since last visit' and 'replies in threads I'm following', because I will often pop in without interacting.  I just thought I was losing the plot a bit (I admit that this possibility is not off the table, but it might be just on this issue). 
Thanks for pointing it out.  More experienced minds may know.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #623 on: January 21, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
Does it make a difference if you refresh the page? Sometimes if you hit the back button the site doesn't log that you've read a message.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #624 on: January 21, 2021, 11:30:21 PM »
I haven't observed - although in this case it was that the site registered 'Read' when it wasn't?

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
Does it make a difference if you refresh the page? Sometimes if you hit the back button the site doesn't log that you've read a message.

Like Wave said, it´s kind of the opposite problem. It logs messages as read that I haven´t read yet. I usually refresh the page every time when I go back to a board, so it´s more safe to say that it only happens when I refresh it.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #626 on: March 28, 2021, 09:20:23 PM »
Um. Apologies if this isn't the proper thread to ask this but I'm really not sure where else to put it. This isn't really a bug/thing to fix (nor is it an "improvement" so far as I can tell) but ...

Is there a way to make "night mode" permanent, rather than toggling it every time I return to the site?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #627 on: March 28, 2021, 09:31:07 PM »
Um. Apologies if this isn't the proper thread to ask this but I'm really not sure where else to put it. This isn't really a bug/thing to fix (nor is it an "improvement" so far as I can tell) but ...

Is there a way to make "night mode" permanent, rather than toggling it every time I return to the site?

It depends on your cookies, it should stay on if you're using the same device and you have cookies on. If you're switching between devices or clearing your cache or using different browsers it will revert to normal.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #628 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58:54 PM »
It depends on your cookies, it should stay on if you're using the same device and you have cookies on. If you're switching between devices or clearing your cache or using different browsers it will revert to normal.
Hrm. I only have a PC so it's this same device every time. Cookies should be on. Unless the squirrel cookies are staging an uprising. ;) I'll poke it a little more. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

ETA: Figured it out, I guess. There's a quirk in the Universe that says if I comment/complain about something, it will fix itself. This seems to be the case once again because now dark mode is staying on! LOL
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:11:54 PM by Tarnagh »
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #629 on: March 29, 2021, 01:21:21 AM »
Hrm. I only have a PC so it's this same device every time. Cookies should be on. Unless the squirrel cookies are staging an uprising. ;) I'll poke it a little more. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

ETA: Figured it out, I guess. There's a quirk in the Universe that says if I comment/complain about something, it will fix itself. This seems to be the case once again because now dark mode is staying on! LOL

Calling a tech always works!