Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149804 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

... I changed the max number of recipients for PMs to 20, because 10 was rather low.

Thanks!  Now I can invite more people to the rank-promotion "receptions."   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
Thanks!  Now I can invite more people to the rank-promotion "receptions."   :)
That was part of why  :)
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
There's no admin setting that limits the number of links allowed in a post, that I could find.
That doesn't surprise me, since the symptom of getting a 403 page is the one where we suspect mod_security, not SMF itself, to be the showstopper ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »
I've tried a couple of times to PM Sunflower the list of links found on the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rtnacqvlvkegmn/List%20of%20songs.txt?dl=0, something that has earned me the forbidden error almost all the time. I had some luck breaking it to pieces and sending only a few links at a time, trying first to send the five first links on the list. This worked, so I got bold and PM'ed six links - getting the 403 error again. So, back to five links again - this worked - then the next five links - which gave me the forbidden message again. I fear I have fallen prey to seeing connections where there are none so I gave up. Is there anything in that list that should trigger the error message?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
Timing Out
« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »
A few minutes ago, I got a new error message while writing a PM:
"You have timed out."  (The whole text of the PM *and* all addressee info disappeared.  Luckily, I had copied the text.)

I didn't have the PM open that long -- maybe 10-12 minutes, which is certainly less than other times I've been laboring over a long PM.

Could this be related to problems I've been having for the last 48 hours accessing this Forum?  When I hit the Fan-Forum button on the main comic page, the browser spins for about 60 seconds, then times out.  If I just close that browser tab and start fresh, it still often doesn't load.  But if I hit the "Refresh" key on the browser tab that timed out, generally it'll load immediately. 

EDIT:
Aaaargh, the "Timed Out" problem happened again!  I was PM'ing Unlos just now, with the PM open barely 5 minutes and no elaborate links etc. -- and it STILL went blank!

The poor dumb Forum seems to be buckling under the strain of being used intensely...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:45:55 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Timing Out
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
A few minutes ago, I got a new error message while writing a PM:
"You have timed out."  (The whole text of the PM *and* all addressee info disappeared.  Luckily, I had copied the text.)

I didn't have the PM open that long -- maybe 10-12 minutes, which is certainly less than other times I've been laboring over a long PM.

Could this be related to problems I've been having for the last 48 hours accessing this Forum?  When I hit the Fan-Forum button on the main comic page, the browser spins for about 60 seconds, then times out.  If I just close that browser tab and start fresh, it still often doesn't load.  But if I hit the "Refresh" key on the browser tab that timed out, generally it'll load immediately.

Everything she said. I've been experiencing it all day and almost lost a message because of it.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
The Time Out problem has happened several more times today.  4-5 minutes seems to be the threshhold.

Given my notoriously long and link-dense PMs (which generally take more than 5 minutes to write!), "I think what we have here is a failure to communicate." 

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
I've experienced the Time Out problem as well (I was not as smart as some of the others and didn't copy my writing, but luckily I have a very good memory for these things), and additionally all messages I've received up until today (admittedly not very many, but still) were eaten by the internet

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
I've tried a couple of times to PM Sunflower the list of links found on the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rtnacqvlvkegmn/List%20of%20songs.txt?dl=0, something that has earned me the forbidden error almost all the time.

I had some luck breaking it to pieces and sending only a few links at a time, trying first to send the five first links on the list. This worked, so I got bold and PM'ed six links - getting the 403 error again. So, back to five links again - this worked - then the next five links - which gave me the forbidden message again.

I fear I have fallen prey to seeing connections where there are none so I gave up. Is there anything in that list that should trigger the error message?

I saved Unlos' list as text and then tried PM'ing it back to her.  I omitted every possible permutation of particular links -- but it wouldn't send in any combination.  Grrrr. 

I also tried omitting:
* Every link that involved YouTube; Soundcloud; Vocaroo; Noteflight; or the Forum's own messages -- in case the forum censor objected to links from some specific domain.  That didn't work either.
* The word "peep" -- just in case that's triggering the overactive censor.  No dice.

I give up now.

O Forum-Vanir and Aesir, can you give us any guidance?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
Have you tried removing ALL the links? Maybe there is something in the plain text it doesn't like.

Incidentally, I notice that this forum saves the list of unread topics and posts for each user and retains it between sessions. This is a pretty expensive feature in terms of server load, and most forums  give up on it very quickly once they get a reasonable amount of traffic. I suspect that if Eich can turn it off then the stability issues (could not find website, timeouts etc) will go away - until the forum becomes even busier!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:43:29 PM by Richard Weir »
My one-and-only: :uk:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:44 AM »
Seems like I'm having the same problem as everyone else; I just got the time-out message after ~5 minutes. :/

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »
This is a test post to see if the time-out problem affects public forum posts as well as PMs.

EDIT: Nope.  At least this time, I left open the post more than 30 minutes, no problem.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »
I'm getting 403 errors when I try to edit the first post in this thread:

http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=181.0
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
I'm getting 403 errors when I try to edit the first post in this thread:

http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=181.0
I think you're hitting the same issue I got with editing the forum index - the anti-spam protection thingy sees a post with (what it thinks is) too much links and stops it from going through...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
We're losing some images -- could it be a hosting problem?  You can see it on the list of emoticons above and the nation/language flags, in particular. 
I just noticed this about 15 minutes ago, i.e. 6:40 p.m. PST on Thursday.
Screenshot of examples below: