Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149869 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
Might be something on the host's end, to prevent spam/hacking via form submissions and protect their servers. The mirror of the site on my webhost doesn't appear to have that issue. *shrugs*
The pcriot server has a reverse proxy sitting in front of it - Varnish, to be precise. If the filter's not on the server itself or part of SMF, it's either the proxy or some intrusion prevention system ...

Quick web search doesn't turn up anything, but I'm afraid that "varnish" and "poisoncillin" aren't very specific keywords ...

P.S.: I seem to be unable to provoke a 403 by SMF itself, it just redirects me to the homepage.

P.P.S.: It is outside the forum server:

Code: [Select]
$ host ssssforum.pcriot.com
ssssforum.pcriot.com has address 198.91.81.5
ssssforum.pcriot.com mail is handled by 0 ssssforum.pcriot.com.

$ ( echo "GET /index.php HTTP/1.1" ; echo "Host: foo.bar.baz" ; echo "Connection: close" ; echo "" ; sleep 10 ) | telnet 198.91.81.5 80
[...]
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
[...]
Via: 1.1 varnish-v4
[...]
Domain document root not found.
Connection closed by foreign host.

(Note that if this request had reached the forum server in spite of raw IP and mangled Host: header, it should have displayed the login page.)

$ ( echo "GET /index.php?foobar=$EVIL_WORD HTTP/1.1" ; echo "Host: foo.bar.baz" ; echo "Connection: close" ; echo "" ; sleep 10 ) | telnet 198.91.81.5 80
[...]
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
[...]
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>403 Forbidden</title>
[...]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:11:49 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
Whoooooa I didn't know about that trick! *blinks the stars out of her eyes*

After poking around I'm pretty well convinced that it's mod_security doing it, not varnish. They've probably got SecFilterScanPOST turned on. When I get home I'll log in to the server and see if I can fiddle to get that turned off, though I wouldn't be surprised if the host's blocked those kinds of .htaccess shananigans. :P

JoB

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:10 AM »
After poking around I'm pretty well convinced that it's mod_security doing it, not varnish. They've probably got SecFilterScanPOST turned on.
Seeing that we're not getting the 1.x default "deny" code of 500, but the 2.x's of 403, you might want to try SecRequestBodyAccess as well ... ?
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
No go I'm afraid. Here's the code I used fwiw (plus several variations on it):

<IfModule mod_security.c>
  SecRuleEngine Off
  SecFilterInheritance Off
  SecFilterEngine Off
  SecFilterScanPOST Off
  SecRequestBodyAccess Off
</IfModule>

But as I feared, they appear to be disallowing those .htaccess directives (which is only sensible of them)--or else those mod_sec rules aren't the cause. One of those things. :P

JoB

« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »
Well, what do we do, then? Mnenhy and ROT-13? WebPG and a shared keypair? >:D

[Is in a cypherpunk mood]

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
Ummmm I don't know if this is just me, but all the Norwegian flag icons have been replaced with:
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
Ummmm I don't know if this is just me, but all the Norwegian flag icons have been replaced with:

That is incredibly bizarre.  So, to you, I'm now learning... lonely elf man?
Not happening on my end...

Also, Hush and JoB, magic problem solving dream team of the century:  Pessi has been unable to log in for a while.  She said:
Yeah, I've been getting "Forbidden" for almost a week now every time I try to post something on the foorum. Can read what others post though
  I checked her profile and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  Is this something we can try to fix, or should I ask for more specific information from her in the comments?
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
That is incredibly bizarre.  So, to you, I'm now learning... lonely elf man?
Not happening on my end...

Oh.
Yep, Lonely Elf Man is suddenly the forum's most popular language to learn... O___O
It's a bit funny... But I'll try seeing if it changes..

This is what it looks like:

Maybe it's different on my laptop?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:39:42 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »

This is Varjohaltia's icon.  He just joined the Forum today, and has made exactly one post (that we know of). 

I doubt he wields enough dark magic to do this deliberately.  OTOH, about an hour ago I *did* share with him tips on how to create language flags in his Forum profile (i.e. : country : ) and he promptly did so.  Could a software glitch somehow have caught onto the new flags on his profile?

EDIT:
I'm seeing everyone's Norwegian flags like normal:  :norway:. 

Owl, maybe something's messing up your account?  Seems like several of us are having small, spotty problems.  Poor Pessi can't post at all.  And I can't post some things on first try.  I got the 403 bug notice once this evening, but mostly it was just white screens.  However, nothing's been eaten like before.  I always save text before posting now, and usually just going back a screen and hitting Post again works.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:35:02 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2015, 01:06:42 AM »
The Norway/Lonely Elf Man thing is fixed :) whoo! X'D

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
Owl, I've been seeing your avatar as a tiny Australian flag since yesterday.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2015, 05:48:17 AM »
Ummmm I don't know if this is just me, but all the Norwegian flag icons have been replaced
Hmm. I don't see any mixup right now, and where the pictures in question do show up, they have very dissimilar pathes/filenames, so I cannot quite imagine them getting mixed up in the filesystem. Hushpiper, you have seen what a post looks like in the database - any chance that in that raw format, included images are referenced by some ID that needs to be resolved by another table lookup (which would IMHO be much more likely to replace one image with an existing other one than some URL garbling would)?

Also, Hush and JoB, magic problem solving dream team of the century:  Pessi has been unable to log in for a while. [...] I checked her profile and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  Is this something we can try to fix, or should I ask for more specific information from her in the comments?
Sounds quite like the mod_security issue, you just posted the username without a problem, if it's truly logging in that doesn't work, my first guess would be that the password triggers the Filter of Despair (That Looks at the Entire POST Data). Does trying to log in with an empty password "work" (i.e., yield a proper "login denied")?

If not, my next suggestion would be to delete all cookies that the browser may have stored for the forum. I have seen "random" session IDs turning out to include four letter words ... ::)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »

Sounds quite like the mod_security issue, you just posted the username without a problem, if it's truly logging in that doesn't work, my first guess would be that the password triggers the Filter of Despair (That Looks at the Entire POST Data). Does trying to log in with an empty password "work" (i.e., yield a proper "login denied")?

Ohhh!  As Patient Zero for the P-Word Problem, now I get it!  Her password may be something like "Pessi-catapult" and that would have the same effect as my "complication."

Or worse, "pen-icillin"...   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
Ohhh!  As Patient Zero for the P-Word Problem, now I get it!  Her password may be something like "Pessi-catapult" and that would have the same effect as my "complication."

Or worse, "pen-icillin"...   ;)
You were not Patient Zero... I had the same problem with my PMs, but didn't bother to say anything. It was more amusing than anything, really.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
Antibiotic Allergy
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »
Dang it, the P-Word problem is still going.

I was writing a PM using the word "pen-icillin" (in fact, describing this problem to my correspondent).  It got eaten.  Grrrr.   >:(  (I got the usual 404 error message:  "You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server."  I can send you a screenshot, but you probably already have examples.)

Luckily, I am now compulsive about copying and saving text before I hit "Send."  So I didn't lose the message.  And I was able to test several variants. 

Now I'm pretty sure the *only* trigger was the antibiotic's name in full -- not long URLs, quoting forum threads, or anything else.  (I didn't try "V!agra" or "C-alis," though.)

Meanwhile, I'm having occasional problems sending.  This is a lesser issue:  When you hit "Send," the screen goes white.  But when you go back via browser to your previous screen, your  PM text is still there (though it may be missing the last few sentences, e.g. back to the last system save or Preview).  Would you like a screenshot of that, the next time it happens?

If it turns out we can't ever name The Antibiotic, that's OK.  We just need to warn people to Save Text compulsively.

Yours for safer text,

Sunflower