Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149808 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
Just wanted to mention that the word p**** is cencored, which is okay, but the word p****cat is also cencored, which can get weird. Any way to fix this?
I also noticed this, and thought it odd, but you beat me to it. :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Deirdre

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
Feel free to laugh at my not-knowing if it's only my browser/coding problem. ;)

I'm Polish and decided to introduce myself in Polish in the language-introducing thread. After sending the post I saw that Polish diacritics don't show properly (I  get question marks and other things instead, like in cze?? (hello), ending normally with versions of "s" and "c"). It seems to me as a problem of the forum, couse I cuoldn't see them afterwards when I edited the post, either.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »
Just wanted to mention that the word p**** is cencored, which is okay, but the word p****cat is also cencored, which can get weird. Any way to fix this?
Thought this might happen eventually.
I'll try something out that I just thought of.

Feel free to laugh at my not-knowing if it's only my browser/coding problem. ;)

I'm Polish and decided to introduce myself in Polish in the language-introducing thread. After sending the post I saw that Polish diacritics don't show properly (I  get question marks and other things instead, like in cze?? (hello), ending normally with versions of "s" and "c"). It seems to me as a problem of the forum, couse I cuoldn't see them afterwards when I edited the post, either.
It's a forum problem.  I was working on a fix, but I hit a snag.
I'll get back on it.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »

That's a pain when saying stuff in Japanese, because "shit" comes up quite often inside words and gets censored, such messing up what little comprehension I do have.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
That's a pain when saying stuff in Japanese, because "s***" comes up quite often inside words and gets censored, such messing up what little comprehension I do have.

Well, at least it's easy to guess what the missing letters are..
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
My idea didn't work.
Sorry, y'all.

Edit: FIX'D (the pussycat one.  The other one will just take running into every romaji word with "shit" in it, unfortunately).  That was a weird workaround, but I got it figured out.  If you stumble into any more compound words that are partially censored, I now have a way of un-censoring them. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:49:17 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Vanishing posts and PMs
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
Yikes!  Something is wiping out Forum content! 

We first noticed this in the Scriptorium thread.  Several posts in the last 12-to-18 hours showed up empty of content.  We could see who posted them and when (incl. OrigamiOwl, Solovei, and Unlos).  The problem was first reported here:
http://ssssforum.pcriot.com/index.php?topic=193.msg15133#msg15133

Then I happened to review my received PMs and noticed that the same thing had happened to 4 or 5 of them.  The external format of each remains, denoting the sender, subject, and date/time -- but no content.  It wiped out (I think) 2 by Owl and 1 each by Solovei and Unlos.  (I'll update this post once I've double-checked.)

I'm a pretty heavy user of PMs to lots of people, so although the Silence Plague only affects a small fraction of my correspondence, I'm unnerved by the prospect that it might strike again.

Is there a systematic way to back up PMs to desktop/offsite, other than to just copy-and-paste into a word processing document?  I might be doing the Forum server a favor by removing so much text...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
Okay, I just made a quick backup, in case things get any worse. 
The last error was at 4:29:07

There's no problems with the memory limits, yet, so it's not tied to that.
I'll keep digging.
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: Vanishing posts and PMs
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
mysterious disappearances

Also just noticed this happening with my PMs. It seems to be happening the most in posts with linked content. (i.e. I really hope all you people downloaded your Secret Santa presents, because I no longer have links to most of them)

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
I also lost one PM by Owl from december the 13th, though the other one from that day was fine.
 Mostly quiet.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
There are missing posts as far back as day one, in the GDT.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
There are missing posts as far back as day one, in the GDT.

:( this is not nice.
 Mostly quiet.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
:( this is not nice.
Not at all.
This has to be something host-side.
Hush offered to help us switch to her host site, but she hasn't been around for a few days.  X10 has been irking me for a while now and, if this is their fault, it's the last straw. 
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
Tried posting this on the Forum just now -- no luck.  (I can tell if it won't Preview.)

Looking in my *received* PMs, I am missing 13 in all, ranging from Sept. 22 to Dec. 26.  They affect 4 or 5 people -- just a few of each that they sent me.  The most frequent "silenced" ones were Dec. 22 or so to Dec. 26.

I'll count the casualties among my *sent* PMs shortly. 

Also, Eich, I replied (randomly) to one of your Disqus comments about an hour ago, just to have another communications channel.  I may also see if your external e-mail works, for backup.

Meanwhile, COPY AND SAVE, everyone!!! 
Posting for Sunflower.
Not sure why, but the "Preview" function is also not working correctly.  I think it has to do with the length of the posts, because I couldn't see my preview when I tried posting one of the errors from the host site's error log. 

Unfortunately, we just had another wave of errors at 7:01:58 so, like Sunflower said, if you have any important PMs, copy them to a document or text file now.  I made a backup of the site at around 4:45, so those PMs can be restored but any urgent or special posts should be copied, if you need them for anything.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
FYI, if this'll post (Eich has already gotten this via PM):

Among my *outgoing*/sent messages, 50 have been eaten out of about 150 total.  Again, the distribution is random -- some very long and link-filled messages are still there, and no one recipient seems to be targeted.

The earliest eaten *sent* PM was Oct. 22.  The latest was a whole bunch on Dec. 22-23, and a couple Dec. 26.  It still seems to be happening on-and-off today; I'm having about a 50-50 chance of getting through to you via PM.

COPY AND SAVE YOUR TEXT, folks!!!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: