Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 149848 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Ah, as far as I can see it's the exact same url as the PC site :) The only differences I'm seeing are that fonts don't show up due to my phone not having them installed - and several posts are ... minimized? I'm not sure why, I think it's mainly to do with how my phone handles the site rather than that it is a mobile version of the site.

But anyway, all that aside means that no, I'm not using a mobile friendly site on PC.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
Ah, just to make clear, the current situation is so:

-can't edit posts
-can't reply via Reply
-can only reply with short posts in Quick Reply (hence double-posting everywhere ;;_;;)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
Geh, this is a really weird problem.  I've check your profile and everything else I can think of, but I'm not finding anything.  I'll check your permissions again and see if I missed something.  Can you make a second account like "Lenny_2" or something, and see if you get the same problems?  I'll delete that account afterward, but this will just be a way to see if it's something happening on your end.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:45:52 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2014, 08:45:27 PM »
As a network admin, these symptoms strongly remind me of situations with a broken Path MTU Discovery; such problems become visible when a sending a larger chunk of data in one of the directions is attempted, they can be correlated with the pair of endpoints instead of just one of them, and the (TCP) connection just stops working.

Of course, this would imply that the size limit for your postings is somewhere below the standard Ethernet MTU of 1500 byte.

Do you run an OS where you can reduce your PC's network interface's MTU to see whether that makes the problem disappear?

(Windows 1 2 - Linux - ...)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
I run Windows 7, so yes, I can do that.

Pinging ssssforum.pcriot.com gave me a "request timed out" at 1464 bytes and below, and a "Packet need to be fragmented but DF set" at 1465 bytes and above. If it's an MTU problem, it's an odd one.

Hmm.

Edit: Hopefully things should work - I tried going further, and after a whole no-mans land of "request timed out" it ended up being 1438 bytes.

Edit 2: JoB, you are brilliant. Thank you. Everything is working now. Thanks to Eich, Richard, Andy, and P__ for helping out, too, and trying to puzzle this out!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:23:16 PM by Lenny »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
Pinging ssssforum.pcriot.com gave me a "request timed out" at 1464 bytes and below and a "Packet need to be fragmented but DF set" at 1465 bytes and above. If it's an MTU problem, it's an odd one.
Hmm.
I tried going further, and after a whole no-mans land of "request timed out" it ended up being 1438 bytes.
Assuming that you're giving the number of payload bytes you asked "ping" to add to its packets, your 1464 translates to an MTU of 1492 bytes (adding 20 bytes of IP header and 8 bytes of ICMP header), which is a quite common pMTU for people going through a DSL uplink (PPPoE needs to add another eight byte around the packets as they get sent). In that case, the FRAGMENTATION NEEDEDs you see should come from your own uplink, and you may recognize the IP they're being sent from. ;)

Then, somewhere along the network path to the forum server, you hit some unit with an MTU of 1438+28 = 1466 byte that doesn't reply properly. *If* you can identify that one, that's a carrier in need of getting yelled at a bit ... :-/

(In case you haven't heard it anywhere / from anyone else yet, fiddling with your interface's MTU setting is a kludge that'd best be used only to diagnose the problem. If yell-at guy is not to be found, your next keyword would be to do "MSS clamping" on some local machine.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2014, 04:20:48 AM »
I recently get this message a lot:
Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed
Guru Meditation:

XID: 353009669

Varnish cache server

When I refresh for some times, it disappears and I can load the site. Is the problem on my end?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:06 AM »
When I refresh for some times, it disappears and I can load the site. Is the problem on my end?

Nein, I get that quite a lot too.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »
Can you be more specific about when you got the error?  I got it some the other day when the site was lagging (was that Monday night?), but I haven't gotten it since.  I think it's related to the host site.
Feel free to PM.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »
I got this yesterday and today, before I posted (that would be between 3-4 am Forum time).
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
This sounds like a server issue. I would hope the operators are aware of it, but it might be worth escalating this to them.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
PM problems
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2014, 03:33:14 AM »
As I PM'd Eich a few minutes ago, I'm having problems PM'ing one particular member.  I keep getting this error message:  (Imgur link shows screenshot.)
http://imgur.com/msWf6qp

Any suggestions?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »
Ahem! *points at last line in her signature* Please?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Unlos

• Tumblr
Re: PM problems
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »
As I PM'd Eich a few minutes ago, I'm having problems PM'ing one particular member.  I keep getting this error message:  (Imgur link shows screenshot.)
http://imgur.com/msWf6qp

Any suggestions?

I got the same error message when I tried to PM Sunflower today! Weird..

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2014, 05:47:28 AM »
Just wanted to mention that the word pussy is cencored, which is okay, but the word pussycat is also cencored, which can get weird. Any way to fix this?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk: