Worlds and Stories > Worlds & Stories Discussion Board

aRTD re-read

(1/20) > >>

catbirds:
This thread is for a re-read or maybe even a first read of A Redtail's Dream, for those of you who are interested!

If anyone doesn't know what it is and is curious about what Minna made just before making SSSS, then this should be a great place to start! And if you're here to take a trip down memory lane like myself, that's also good! I loved the story a lot when I was a, uh, younger teenager :V so it's kind of nostalgia to me.

So, to start, does anyone have any suggestions on how much you want to read at once? A couple pages a week, a page a day, or a chapter a month? And if we want to rotate who starts discussions and such. We could also discuss themes, the relationships between characters, artistic choices, Finnish folklore/mythology references, or whatever else comes to mind when you read the comic! Some discussions like general analyses could come at the very end!

Spoiler: a note on certain words in the comic • show
Note that at least the English version of the story does make use of the R-slur a couple of times and makes a lot of fat jokes. Be mindful of that, especially if it could make you uncomfortable! Unfortunately, I can't remember the specific pages, but I can read ahead if anyone wants to check.

For pre-reading discussions, we could chat about what we enjoyed about it or how we found it the first time around or anything else that isn't in "spoiler" territory, in case anyone hasn't read it yet. Anyway, let me know if you're interested and want to lead a chapter/section discussion! Maybe even a specific one you liked? Also if you're reading it for the first time and want to participate in discussions. I'll set the start date to about two weeks from now, for now :)

Reading Schedule

Prologue & Chapter 1 ~ October 15
Chapter 2 ~ October 22
Chapter 3, up to page 111 ~ October 29
Chapter 3, to end of chapter ~ November 5
Chapter 4, up to page 179 ~ November 12
Chapter 4, up to page 226 ~ November 19
Chapter 4, to end of chapter ~ November 26
Chapter 5, up to page 331 ~ December 3
Chapter 5, to end of chapter ~ December 10
Chapter 6 ~ December 17
Chapter 7 ~ December 24
Chapter 8 ~ December 31

(Wow, finished just in time for the new year!) (unless otherwise requested)

RanVor:
I would love to reread aRTD, but unfortunately, not right now. Sorry.

Opaque:
I'm in for a reread at anytime. It'll be fun.

thorny:
I tried but failed to get into it some time ago. (It's possible I was put off by the stuff in the spoiler, but I'm not sure; I may just not have been all that interested.)

I'd be willing to give it another try; but can't guarantee I'll stay with it.

thegreyarea:
Catbirds, you can count me in.

I've never read ARTD in full, just fragments, several pages each time, when it somehow was referred on comments, here at the Forum or at Disqus. I began reading it once but for some reason left it for later... Well. I guess later will be in two weeks! :)

I also came to know it's existance some time after reading SSSS, probably because of the vote reminders on Disqus.

I'm curious to read it, anyway. It seems interesting, and Minna's art is a delight.

As for inappropriate words or jokes... Unless they are prevalent enough to make reading it unbearable - which I get is not the case - I can overlook them and focus on the bright side.

So I'll be waiting for you to set the date. And thanks for starting this!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version