Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2348198 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19500 on: January 14, 2024, 11:09:11 AM »
Midwestmutt, it’s good to hear you are ok. The winter has been quite wintry here too, we’ve had properly cold weather and lots of snow even here in the Helsinki area for weeks. Normal, proper winter actually, but this has been rare for a couple of decades now. Good thing we had the heat storing fireplace built last year!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19501 on: January 14, 2024, 12:09:40 PM »
Is it a Finnish stove like in A Red tail's Dream?
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #19502 on: January 14, 2024, 06:05:38 PM »
I can’t recall what it was like in A Redtail’s Dream, but it looks like these: https://www.suomenponttouunit.fi/galleria

The name pönttöuuni means something like tincan oven or bucket oven. It’s massive, built of fire bricks and the smoke goes around inside it, heating the brick mass before the chimney. The outside is steel plate, painted dark blue in our case (so looks very similar to the dark blue ones on the gallery page). One batch of food keeps it warm for 24 hrs or more.

It’s a fairly traditional style although this house probably originally had tiled ovens. The metal plating was the affordable version. But the overall upright design was most likely the same (the house was built in 1904 as a villa for people who would probably have been characterized as very prosperous).

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19503 on: January 15, 2024, 06:56:36 AM »
I've heard there's been a lot of cold weather all across the US right now - glad to hear everyone's alright.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19504 on: January 15, 2024, 08:37:15 AM »
I can’t recall what it was like in A Redtail’s Dream, but it looks like these: https://www.suomenponttouunit.fi/galleria

The name pönttöuuni means something like tincan oven or bucket oven. It’s massive, built of fire bricks and the smoke goes around inside it, heating the brick mass before the chimney. The outside is steel plate, painted dark blue in our case (so looks very similar to the dark blue ones on the gallery page). One batch of food keeps it warm for 24 hrs or more.

It’s a fairly traditional style although this house probably originally had tiled ovens. The metal plating was the affordable version. But the overall upright design was most likely the same (the house was built in 1904 as a villa for people who would probably have been characterized as very prosperous).
Sounds like the same tech. I had never heard of such stoves before aRTD. You can find it starting on page 262 in the archives.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: General Discussion Threa
« Reply #19505 on: January 15, 2024, 10:37:50 AM »
On p 272 you can see the ruins of the fireplace in ARtD and it looks to be empty. Which makes no sense, so I assume it has more to do with Minna’s level of expertise regarding heating ovens :) Even more so does the fact that if there were seams like that where the front and side wall of the oven are just placed next to each other, the smoke would come in. So the outward stones would be only the icing on the brick or stone cake that is the oven proper.

So yeah, I think it’s meant to be more or less the same type as ours, with the exception that ours is round. The inner workings of an upright heat storing oven was a Swedish innovation from 1800’s.

Yastreb

• I'm not a hero... just very stubborn
« Reply #19506 on: January 23, 2024, 10:15:33 PM »
Now I know three Finnish words...

Motti originally referred to the bundling of firewood; it's widely used to denote the tactic of bottling up an enemy unit, breaking it down into smaller groups, and defeating them one by one. If you read about the Winter War, you learn about the motti tactic.

Sisu is "a Finnish concept described as stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience, and hardiness. It is held by Finns to express their national character" (from Wikipedia). A film was recently released with that as a title, and sums up the major character.

And now... Perkele; apparently a profanity akin to "God damn it!" And how did I learn about this one? It's the title of a piece of music that doesn't seem profane at all. Judge for yourself.

"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19507 on: March 19, 2024, 09:43:08 AM »
Happy first day of Spring to us Northern Terrans and happy first day of Fall to all you Southern Terrans.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19508 on: March 19, 2024, 12:00:39 PM »
Merry Equinox to everybody!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #19509 on: March 19, 2024, 12:26:37 PM »
A joyful Equinox to all, whichever season you are headed into!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19510 on: March 20, 2024, 07:46:52 AM »
A good Equinox to you all!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19511 on: March 20, 2024, 08:24:01 AM »
An excellent equinox to everyone! I'm definitely noticing it getting darker here, it's now dark at 7pm!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19512 on: March 20, 2024, 10:16:32 AM »
An excellent equinox to everyone! I'm definitely noticing it getting darker here, it's now dark at 7pm!
Same here at the moment, but for us it's a big improvement.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19513 on: March 20, 2024, 06:45:15 PM »

And it's now light here till past 7 PM! though that owes something to Daylight Saving Time. (Despite which, don't get me going on DST.)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #19514 on: April 13, 2024, 11:14:55 AM »
If you thought that, four-hundred-some years after the arrival of those snoopy Europeans, Australian wildlife ought to be out of new tricks and surprises ... ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15