Author Topic: Paranormal Thread  (Read 18846 times)

ChazHoosier

Re: Paranormal Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:07 AM »
It's spooky because the ghosts are waiting impatiently for Wifey to show up and take her place in the rectory pew!  I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done. 

I came up with another "scene" in which our son starts speaking an obscure dialect of German.  When Wifey asks him where he learned to speak like that, he would say it was the "Man in the red shirt," who turns out later to be a Hessian officer from the Revolution with a blood stained shirt.  Sounds like a good movie, doesn't it? ;)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
Too many bad movies at an impressionable age?

Entirely likely :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

ButterflyWings

• Retired Moderator
  • Scout
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
In one place I lived in Amsterdam, there was a feeling that something very bad had happened there. A violation of someone.

When we would have guests over they could immediately feel that there was something off in the house. There were painting on the walls that reminded me of internal biological functions painted while under the influence of acid.

There was also a possessive spirit attached to the house.

Over the course of the three years I lived there, we would throw away things. Every time we threw away  something or cleaned something, the oppressive atmosphere would lessen. Eventually the possessive spirit dissipated.

Negative spirits enjoy the company of negative people, feeding off of each. I find that it’s like when someone who is like that leaves - a tension in the air dissipates like clouds opening up after a storm.

I’ve also felt the slow and yet fast movement of nature. Felt the tampering and disregard of people and the purity of a place where humans are not welcome.

Sometimes I think that there are angels hidden inside of the flesh of others, and that we ride these bodies, seeking experiences that we could not normally feel. Like wearing a suit that is too small.

Speaks some: Finnish, English, Old English, Russian, Dutch, Ancient Greek, Latin, Arabic, German, French, Spanish

W̕e ̀l̵i͠e o̡n bu͏t̡te͘r͞f͟ly҉ ͞win͏gs̸ ìn͝ ̶th́is g͟oss̸ame̵re͡d d̀ecay,͞ ͢st҉ŗi̵n̶g͝s͘ ͝t҉o ͜needles ͠pi͏ęr̨ci̡ng̨ th̀e fles͝h́
Yo̷ù ̨make͘ m͘e ͢st͞r҉i̸p ̨dowń t̷o͘ t͡h̛e͢ bone,͘ t̴h̴en s͟t̕ùm͠ble͘ i̧n my͢ ̕foot́s̡tep̷s ̸seek̨ing ́a̡bs͏o͞lut̛i͠on

Blackfrost

• I used to be confused. But now I just don't know.
  • Preferred pronouns: I'm not picky.
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2016, 06:47:12 PM »
Aaaaaaaand now that we've arrived at the new house in Florida....  *g.*

Regarding Solokov's stories:

I've had a shadow-man encounter as well.  Ex-girlfriend of mine also has had one.  I'll be perfectly happy if I never have another, and I know she will, also.

In Oregon, about fifteen years ago,
Spoiler: show
heading out OR-7, Westward from Baker toward Austin Junction, I approached the railroad grade (crossing) where the Sumpter Valley (Historic) Railroad crosses OR-7. It was a clear, sunny, day, and a deserted desert highway.  Perfect conditions for a drive through the High Plains Desert. Approaching the railroad tracks, I suddenly was overwhelmed by a roar of steam and iron, and the ringing of a brass bell.  I've been around active steam-powered vehicles, including locomotives, and I've ridden on steam trains before.  There was a steam-locomotive, with cars behind, roaring down toward the truck at speed.  (I didn't notice, at the time, that the impression I had was even more immediate, as if the thing was bearing down upon me, and about to hit the truck itself.)  I locked-up the brakes, the truck came screeching to a stop, with my (now ex) wife thrown against her seatbelt hard.  She yelled in surprise, and asked me what the hell I was doing.  I was fully panicked, as I'd thought we weren't going to stop before the grade.  (We had, with about twenty feet to spare, but we must've nearly ruined the tires on that truck.) I was shaking hard, and all I could get out was "The train!  The train!" 

"What train?"  Asked my (now ex) wife?

The only train around was sitting, cold and still, off on a nearby siding.  It was the exact train I'd believed was about to slam into us at high speed, once we hit the grade.  There was no train, anywhere, in motion.  There hadn't been.  The tracks were little-used, and surface-rusty.  The wind was blowing through the grasses near the grade and on the side of the road.  Everything was just the way it should be.

I shook my head, and told her what had happened.  She was...impressed, but not too favorably.  I re-started the stalled truck, put it into gear, and crossed the railroad grade.  But as we continued down OR-7, I could've sworn that train was laughing at my back.

And yes, that's a true story.

As to Michigan: 
Riding in a car with friends one night about thirty years ago, down Lake Road in Lapeer County, Michigan, our driver pulled over to the shoulder of the road.  Across from where she stopped the car (A black '70 Ford Torino fastback, as I recall,) the field was covered with thousands of tiny, twinkling lights.  Now, these weren't fireflies (or "Lightning bugs" as they're called, locally.)  The flare-and die-off pattern wasn't there.  These twinkled like stars in the sky on a hot Summer night.  The twinkling seemed to be individual, but it also seemed to ripple through the entire field full of them.  They never landed, and never changed much in altitude.  They simply seemed to hover above the cover crop that'd been planted in anticipation of the Winter that was coming.  We stared, and talked, and speculated as to what they could be.  They certainly weren't distant headlights, on the next road over.  We couldn't figure out what they were.

Then, suddenly, as if they'd all simultaneously noticed our presence, they started steadily advancing across the field toward the road, and toward the car we were in.  All five of us in that car simultaneously got the idea that, if those lights actually reached us, the result would be bad.  Very bad indeed.  The driver tried to start the thing, which naturally decided to take the moment to be a cranky old Ford engine, and balk.  The lights came steadily closer, and seemed to raise in elevation a bit, to climb out of the field and onto the road.

Finally, the Torino's engine caught, and roared to life.  Our driver slapped the gearshift into drive, and we pealed out back onto the road, with gravel flying in all directions.  Probably waking up the poor family in the farmhouse we were stopped in front of.

The driver took that old Ford up to about 120MPH, and we left the lights far behind us.  We stopped, eventually, a few miles down the road, swearing, shaking, and asking each other what the hell that had been.  We never found out.  We did go back to town via a different route, though.

A couple of days later, I took my Ford (a much less impressive '80 Fiesta) down Lake Road, and stopped in front of the same farmhouse.  The field was dark and ordinary.  Whatever those tiny lights had been, no sign of them remained.

I've a few other stories I could tell, but I'll save them for another time.  I've boxes to unpack, laundry to do, and a job to hunt.

Take care, everyone.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:55:20 PM by Blackfrost »
Fluency: :usa:
Once knew: :spain: :germany: (Mostly lost through disuse.)
Words, without grammar:  :france: :russia: :ireland: :vaticancity: (Also some Yiddish, but there's no flag for that.  Feh! *handwave*  No, actually, I'm not Jewish.  Go figure.)

Started reading: :chap0:
Survived: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »
As to Michigan: 
Riding in a car with friends one night about thirty years ago, down Lake Road in Lapeer County, Michigan, our driver pulled over to the shoulder of the road.  Across from where she stopped the car (A black '70 Ford Torino fastback, as I recall,) the field was covered with thousands of tiny, twinkling lights.  Now, these weren't fireflies (or "Lightning bugs" as they're called, locally.)  The flare-and die-off pattern wasn't there.  These twinkled like stars in the sky on a hot Summer night.  The twinkling seemed to be individual, but it also seemed to ripple through the entire field full of them.  They never landed, and never changed much in altitude.  They simply seemed to hover above the cover crop that'd been planted in anticipation of the Winter that was coming.  We stared, and talked, and speculated as to what they could be.  They certainly weren't distant headlights, on the next road over.  We couldn't figure out what they were.

Then, suddenly, as if they'd all simultaneously noticed our presence, they started steadily advancing across the field toward the road, and toward the car we were in.  All five of us in that car simultaneously got the idea that, if those lights actually reached us, the result would be bad.  Very bad indeed.  The driver tried to start the thing, which naturally decided to take the moment to be a cranky old Ford engine, and balk.  The lights came steadily closer, and seemed to raise in elevation a bit, to climb out of the field and onto the road.

Finally, the Torino's engine caught, and roared to life.  Our driver slapped the gearshift into drive, and we pealed out back onto the road, with gravel flying in all directions.  Probably waking up the poor family in the farmhouse we were stopped in front of.

The driver took that old Ford up to about 120MPH, and we left the lights far behind us.  We stopped, eventually, a few miles down the road, swearing, shaking, and asking each other what the hell that had been.  We never found out.  We did go back to town via a different route, though.

A couple of days later, I took my Ford (a much less impressive '80 Fiesta) down Lake Road, and stopped in front of the same farmhouse.  The field was dark and ordinary.  Whatever those tiny lights had been, no sign of them remained.

I've a few other stories I could tell, but I'll save them for another time.  I've boxes to unpack, laundry to do, and a job to hunt.

Take care, everyone.
Why do I read this thread at night?! ó__ò
Good luck with the job hunting!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2016, 04:30:48 AM »
Aaaaaaaand now that we've arrived at the new house in Florida....  *g.*

Regarding Solokov's stories:

I've had a shadow-man encounter as well.  Ex-girlfriend of mine also has had one.  I'll be perfectly happy if I never have another, and I know she will, also.

In Oregon, about fifteen years ago,
heading out OR-7, Westward from Baker toward Austin Junction, I approached the railroad grade (crossing) where the Sumpter Valley (Historic) Railroad crosses OR-7. It was a clear, sunny, day, and a deserted desert highway.  Perfect conditions for a drive through the High Plains Desert. Approaching the railroad tracks, I suddenly was overwhelmed by a roar of steam and iron, and the ringing of a brass bell.  I've been around active steam-powered vehicles, including locomotives, and I've ridden on steam trains before.  There was a steam-locomotive, with cars behind, roaring down toward the truck at speed.  (I didn't notice, at the time, that the impression I had was even more immediate, as if the thing was bearing down upon me, and about to hit the truck itself.)  I locked-up the brakes, the truck came screeching to a stop, with my (now ex) wife thrown against her seatbelt hard.  She yelled in surprise, and asked me what the hell I was doing.  I was fully panicked, as I'd thought we weren't going to stop before the grade.  (We had, with about twenty feet to spare, but we must've nearly ruined the tires on that truck.) I was shaking hard, and all I could get out was "The train!  The train!" 

"What train?"  Asked my (now ex) wife?

The only train around was sitting, cold and still, off on a nearby siding.  It was the exact train I'd believed was about to slam into us at high speed, once we hit the grade.  There was no train, anywhere, in motion.  There hadn't been.  The tracks were little-used, and surface-rusty.  The wind was blowing through the grasses near the grade and on the side of the road.  Everything was just the way it should be.

I shook my head, and told her what had happened.  She was...impressed, but not too favorably.  I re-started the stalled truck, put it into gear, and crossed the railroad grade.  But as we continued down OR-7, I could've sworn that train was laughing at my back.

And yes, that's a true story.

....I know that crossing and area well. I used to work on the Wallowa-Whitman.

Hell I saw a UFO while taking photos of one of the blood moons while up in baker.

Really straightforeward story though. It's somewhere around 1 in the morning as I'm taking photos of the moon. About 30 minutes after one of the local cops drove by asking me what the heck I was doing out that late about 50 feet off the top of my head an orb of light about the size of a basketball zips past heading north. Absolutely silent, my estimate is it was easily doing 120mph.

At that point I decided to head in to the maverick to go get a fresh mug of coffee and a couple energy drinks and clear my mind.'

Also on a related note I've heard rumors of an "anomalous creature management" unit under the USDA.... kinda looking into that.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2016, 06:11:29 AM »
Take care with your research, Solokov. Though I guess you might land another job! It's fascinating how universal some of those experiences are: have seen the odd orb zipping by, mostly out in the desert very late at night. Damfino what they are! Never bothered me, though.

Did see what I guess you'd call a UFO, out in East Gippsland, more than fifty years ago. I was hermiting up near the headwaters of one of the little creeks that feeds into the Heart Morass. Black dark winter night, just on new moon. Freezing. I was up on a hill above a reed marsh, and was sitting by my fire thinking about sleeping, when something big, like really big, went by above me and crashed into the swamp below me, with enough of an impact to shake the ground, but less noise than I would have expected.  My first thought was that it was a plane crashing, since the airbase near Sale wasn't too far off, nor was I far from a couple of the flight routes going into Melbourne, so I grabbed my first-aid kit and raced down the hill.

The reeds were pretty tall, way over my head, and it was really dark, so I couldn't see much. I thought whatever it was had hit in about the middle of the swamp, so started pushing my way in. Then between one step and the next the fear hit. Absolutely paralysing fear. Couldn't see, hear or smell anything to account for it, but I'd felt something like it before, when I was about to step on, or into, something dangerous in the dark. So my first thought, being in a swamp, was that there was a snake under my feet, since even in winter I had reason to know the odd copperhead or red-bellied black snake could be active, so I carefully pulled my foot back, circled around a bit and tried again. Twice. Same thing happened. At which point I decided that my body probably knew what it was better than I did, and whatever it was it wasn't a crashed plane, and I beat a hasty retreat back to my camp. Where I sat up and watched for the rest of the night.

Didn't see anything, never heard a sound. Went back down at first light and found a small-house-sized, perfectly round dry patch in the middle of the swamp, and reeds that looked crushed and burned. Water was slowly seeping back into the area, and it just felt - weird. I haven't the words. No idea what it was.

Blackfrost: yeah, ghost trains like that in Gippsland too. Seen a few, generally around the old Thompson River rail bridge, and around Denison and Walhalla. Including one that appeared to go across said bridge when I was standing in the river under it, and actually shook down debris from the ruined bridge onto me. I knew damned well that it couldn't have been fully material, since I was at the time helping out with restoring the old Walhalla and Thompson River steam train line, and I *knew* that bridge was too ruinous to bear weight.

* Edit: should have mentioned that I've also met those flocks of little air sparkle things, as have both my sons. They had an experience similar to yours, car that had trouble starting, general feel of terror, urge to get away. I suspect that may be how the thingies, whatever they are, protect themselves.

I've encountered them twice, both times very late at night, once over a grass field in Ireland, a rough grazing paddock among low hills, once in an East Gippsland fern forest. Both times I felt the fear, but I was on foot, and I don't care to run from things, so in one case I just kept walking until I was past, humming a tune so they knew exactly where I was, and trying to be as calm and unscary as I could. They didn't come any closer, and I was fine. With the ones in the forest I didn't want to move, because I had concealed myself so as to be able to watch a lyrebird at dawn and I doubted I would have such a chance again, so again I concentrated on being as calm and still as I could, and making a small calm musical noise so they knew where I was and that I wasn't sneaking up on them. After an hour or so they seemed to forget about me, or decided I was harmless, because they went back to drifting through the forest (mostly treeferns, Antarctic beech and sassafras just there). They spent most time around the trunks that had filmy-ferns, moss and small fungi growing on them, I've no idea why. Sometimes they dipped down into the deep leaf litter, then drifted up again. Strange and very beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:37:01 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Blackfrost

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
....I know that crossing and area well. I used to work on the Wallowa-Whitman.

Lovely area.  Wish I could've spent more time in Enterprise and Joseph, when I was geeking for the OSP.

Hell I saw a UFO while taking photos of one of the blood moons while up in baker.

Really straightforeward story though. It's somewhere around 1 in the morning as I'm taking photos of the moon. About 30 minutes after one of the local cops drove by asking me what the heck I was doing out that late about 50 feet off the top of my head an orb of light about the size of a basketball zips past heading north. Absolutely silent, my estimate is it was easily doing 120mph.

At that point I decided to head in to the maverick to go get a fresh mug of coffee and a couple energy drinks and clear my mind.'

Indeed.  Sounds like a good idea, that. *g.*

Also on a related note I've heard rumors of an "anomalous creature management" unit under the USDA.... kinda looking into that.

Do let me know what you find out about that, yes?  It would be interesting to know.
Words, without grammar:  :france: :russia: :ireland: :vaticancity: (Also some Yiddish, but there's no flag for that.  Feh! *handwave*  No, actually, I'm not Jewish.  Go figure.)

Survived: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Blackfrost

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
Take care with your research, Solokov. Though I guess you might land another job! It's fascinating how universal some of those experiences are: have seen the odd orb zipping by, mostly out in the desert very late at night. Damfino what they are! Never bothered me, though.

Did see what I guess you'd call a UFO, out in East Gippsland, more than fifty years ago. I was hermiting up near the headwaters of one of the little creeks that feeds into the Heart Morass. Black dark winter night, just on new moon. Freezing. I was up on a hill above a reed marsh, and was sitting by my fire thinking about sleeping, when something big, like really big, went by above me and crashed into the swamp below me, with enough of an impact to shake the ground, but less noise than I would have expected.  My first thought was that it was a plane crashing, since the airbase near Sale wasn't too far off, nor was I far from a couple of the flight routes going into Melbourne, so I grabbed my first-aid kit and raced down the hill. {Snip.}

My great uncle and his family saw something similar in a swamp in Holly, Michigan, USA, about forty or so years back.  Eventually, they got so much guff regarding their "UFO sighting" that they stopped admitting it'd ever happened.

Blackfrost: yeah, ghost trains like that in Gippsland too. Seen a few, generally around the old Thompson River rail bridge, and around Denison and Walhalla. Including one that appeared to go across said bridge when I was standing in the river under it, and actually shook down debris from the ruined bridge onto me. I knew damned well that it couldn't have been fully material, since I was at the time helping out with restoring the old Walhalla and Thompson River steam train line, and I *knew* that bridge was too ruinous to bear weight.

It was...quite realistic, believe me.  Second sight is one thing, but that sort of nonsense can just very well stay off of my radar, thankyouverymuch.  (And the dammed thing *snickered* as I drove off.  Grrr....)

* Edit: should have mentioned that I've also met those flocks of little air sparkle things, as have both my sons. They had an experience similar to yours, car that had trouble starting, general feel of terror, urge to get away. I suspect that may be how the thingies, whatever they are, protect themselves.

I've encountered them twice, both times very late at night, once over a grass field in Ireland, a rough grazing paddock among low hills, once in an East Gippsland fern forest. Both times I felt the fear, but I was on foot, and I don't care to run from things, so in one case I just kept walking until I was past, humming a tune so they knew exactly where I was, and trying to be as calm and unscary as I could. They didn't come any closer, and I was fine. With the ones in the forest I didn't want to move, because I had concealed myself so as to be able to watch a lyrebird at dawn and I doubted I would have such a chance again, so again I concentrated on being as calm and still as I could, and making a small calm musical noise so they knew where I was and that I wasn't sneaking up on them. After an hour or so they seemed to forget about me, or decided I was harmless, because they went back to drifting through the forest (mostly treeferns, Antarctic beech and sassafras just there). They spent most time around the trunks that had filmy-ferns, moss and small fungi growing on them, I've no idea why. Sometimes they dipped down into the deep leaf litter, then drifted up again. Strange and very beautiful.

I don't know what I'd've done had I encountered them on my own, or if they hadn't rushed the car.  I do know that they went from uncannily beautiful and strange to aggressive and radiating malevolence, in the blink of an eye, once they'd "noticed" us.  Fortunately the decision wasn't mine, as I wasn't the driver of the car we were inhabiting.  We did get out of there before they got more than halfway across the macadam, so I don't know what would've happened if we'd stayed or if the car hadn't started.  That said, I'd just as soon not encounter them again, as I've had the dubious pleasure of seeing them once already.   Frankly, while I'm by no means a coward, I don't see any reason to poke at the uncanny unless I've a good reason to do so.  I can find and/or get into quite enough trouble and interesting situations without that.  (And have.)

Meanwhile, if I want to have fun with WTF? in Florida (the current location,) I can chase down legends of The Florida Skunk Ape, Butt Spiders, The Fairchild Oak, Spook Hill, The Pensicola Lighthouse, The Devil's Chair (over in Cassadega,) and The Dead Zone on Interstate 4, between Daytona and Orlando.  But I think I'll wind-up looking into the geology of Central Florida, instead.  Probably it'd be more profitable.  *g.*

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »
Most of what I do mundanely involves botany or geology, so even now in old age I spend a lot of time in isolated spots outdoors. Unless I'm teaching, much of it is alone. These years I have to be more careful than I was in my youth (and I was always pretty careful), because I have a partially disabled husband who depends on me so I can't be away for more than a few days. Doesn't help that I limp and am slower now, and I was never very fast, being built more for endurance than for running away. However, being tough, lucky, cautious (and psychically as thick as three short planks), I've survived getting close to a lot of weirds in my time. Generally they are doing their own stuff, and most aren't even aware of you unless you are loud and intrusive, or go trampling things. I can generally out-endure or out-talk the dangerous ones, and for the rest I just go quietly along observing and listening, learning interesting things. Sometimes I can even do something useful to the thingies, like removing stuff that careless people have dropped in their places, or planting new trees. (Yes, I've run a lot of conservation, cleanup and revegetation projects, and put a lot of time into teaching people to respect the land).

Sounds like Florida has a lot of interesting stuff I've never heard of. I've only lived there very briefly, and was mostly occupied at the time in propagating bromeliads and collecting folklore. I've not heard of most of the weirds you mention, but they sound interesting. Mostly I don't go looking for such, unless somebody asks me for help, but the weirds do seem to find me anyway, likely because, as mentioned, I spend a lot of time in isolated places.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Blackfrost

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »

A friend of mine says he's aware of them.  Fringe group.  Deals with the occasional Bigfoot sighting report and the like.  No further information on them, though.  FWIW.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
Hot digity dog! I've always had a knack for all kinds of creepy stuff. And well I thought after seeing all the creepy ghost and human tumors minna draws. Why not share some stuff that scare the crap out of me?
Any who, here are some abandoned mine videos. They're fake, but damn he does a great job at freaking the hell out of you.
/>

/>
Feel free to post your favorite scary stuff here friends.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:44:52 PM by MR_PLINKETT »