Author Topic: login problems, instant time out (SOLVED)  (Read 2298 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
login problems, instant time out (SOLVED)
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
Hi --

Starting last night and continuing through most of today I've been unable to log in to the forums; I tried at intervals, but kept getting a message telling me the session had timed out, although all I'd done was put info into the login boxes and immediately click enter.

Quitting browser didn't work; and I tried with both Chrome and Firefox -- both are old versions (I can't upgrade without buying a new computer, am using an old Mac OS). I was able to log in at least two other sites at which I need to use a login, so the problem may not be at my end, though they may be using different systems. I finally got logged in by attempting to reply to a private message -- I don't know whether the problem has fixed itself permanently, however, so will drop this here now while I've got the chance.

Edited to add: still have the problem, though I can still log in on the page that comes up if I click on the reply link in the private message email; and that does seem to log me in on the board as a whole. Fimbulvarg replied in the note-of-absence thread with another workaround, using the link in the board's toolbar instead of the login boxes at the top of page; I'll try that next time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:51:06 AM by Feartheviolas »

Junpaku

• Raised by cats
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
Re: login problems, instant time out
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:49 AM »
I just had the same problem. I finally managed to login by going through the login page instead of using the login up top so I'm guessing that's the part that's broken?
Chapter Break Survivor: :chap3:? :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Native: :usa:
Used to learn (and mostly forgot): :mexico:
Learning: :japan:

thorny

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »
Fimbulvarg replied in the note-of-absence thread with another workaround, using the link in the board's toolbar instead of the login boxes at the top of page; I'll try that next time.

Forgot to update but yes, that works; although when I forget and try the old way that's continued not to work.

So anybody else having this problem: try the toolbar link (near the top of page, but not as obvious as the login box above it.)

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
Just for the statistics I want to say I am experiencing this problem as well but the workaround works for me quite well. Never had problems afterwards because I keep permanently logged in.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
I have the same problem on my pc, but am still logged in on my phone.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
I'm going to contact Hushpiper tonight, and hopefully we can figure out what is going on with the login.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:48:56 AM »
Heyo! The problem's annoyingly difficult to pin down I'm afraid, but investigation is ongoing. Updates as they come...

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:01:52 PM »
Alright, that should be fixed as of now. The most recent version of our forum software came with a lot of security updates, but our theme needed to be updated to take that into account. If you're still having trouble logging in, clear your browser cache and try again:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

If that doesn't work, let me know!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
Alright, that should be fixed as of now. The most recent version of our forum software came with a lot of security updates, but our theme needed to be updated to take that into account. If you're still having trouble logging in, clear your browser cache and try again:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

If that doesn't work, let me know!

Thanks, hush!  We're so fortunate to have your technical expertise! 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

thorny

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:46:15 PM »
Thanks, hushpiper.

Next time I shut the computer down, or at least quit the browser, I'll give it a try and see what happens. (The browser's set to clear everything when shut down. Seems to speed things up a bit on this old computer.)

thorny

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Just to confirm that yup, now I can log in from the login boxes at top right.

Thanks again! (not that it was hard to go to the toolbar; but it would have remained confusing to anybody who ran into the problem and didn't know the workaround.)